204PS MPG real values

Hi Polzeylad, just to ask you what MPG are you getting on a take into account average as you run a litre lighter on weight. Also does your 204 sound a bit cammy at speed i.e. engine tappey , do you know what i mean. if not I'm going to report to my dealer. sounds like a variable ticking noise that was never present on my old 180 ?. At the moment unsure regarding noise mate.

Hi Polzeylad, just to ask you what MPG are you getting on a take into account average as you run a litre lighter on weight. Also does your 204 sound a bit cammy at speed i.e. engine tappey , do you know what i mean. if not I'm going to report to my dealer. sounds like a variable ticking noise that was never present on my old 180 ?. At the moment unsure regarding noise mate.
I'm glad someone has mentioned the tappy noise. Mine is the same, this doesn't mean it's right though..
I turned the radio off and worried myself for ages! I have done a little over 6,000 miles now and don't remember the noise at the beginning, perhaps I always had the radio too loud!?

Hi Bigben. do you have the 204?. If so you can hear it to. Mine only covered 3800 miles but noise still there. Just hope it gets better with run in, fingers crossed.

Hi Bigben. do you have the 204?. If so you can hear it to. Mine only covered 3800 miles but noise still there. Just hope it gets better with run in, fingers crossed.
Yep, I have a 204. Swb kombi. If anything it has become mere noticeable with time?

Its a bit of a concerning noise when looking to the future miles to cover. or is it a trait of the 204 engine to come for all. not reassuring to be nice LOL

Mine does it all the time at speed when you can hear the engine. sounds like its low on oil like the old 180 when running low revs when was short of oil of low on dip stick i.e. noisy valve train,

I think ours is okay; I find the noise it makes slightly unusual (almost a bit 70s milk float) but I can't say I've heard any worrying tappety noises; a bit of standard diesel clatter at low revs/start up but nothing to worry about.
Check your oil; they can drink quite a bit at low miles. If it persists, get it seen to.
Our 204 is MUCH quieter than our old 180.

MPG wise, I don't keep a close eye on it but we were getting 30ish on our Euro trip; that's with boards on the roof and a load of camping kit.
Round here it can dip slightly lower but nothing to worry about; about 5-8mpg better than our 180.

MPG wise you very close minus my weight. Checked oil every day and ok but had to top up as expected i.e. new engine bedding in. As you said sounds a bit like diesel chatter i.e. Ford Transit but thats normal for TDCI units. Mine is dead quite on start up plus idle. The noise is when at cruse or speed. ITS nothing like the old 180 rattle bus. you don't even need to check oil level it let you know by rattling its t-ts off LOL.

MPG wise you very close minus my weight. Checked oil every day and ok but had to top up as expected i.e. new engine bedding in. As you said sounds a bit like diesel chatter i.e. Ford Transit but thats normal for TDCI units. Mine is dead quite on start up plus idle. The noise is when at cruse or speed. ITS nothing like the old 180 rattle bus. you don't even need to check oil level it let you know by rattling its t-ts off LOL.

Is yours a van, Velle or Cali? TBH the Cali is SO well insulated that it might be hidden but I did do some high speed blasts in Spain with the windows open and didn't notice anything.
I'm borderline paranoid after the issues we had with our 180 so anything unusual will get checked pronto!

Hi Polzeylad, mine is the LWB panel van. And you are right the best spec like yours as i know come with a sh-t load of extra sound comforts full stop, like carpet and the rest on California spec as the highest, I thought my van was dear lol. No where near, prompt me if wrong 50k start price on your baby, possibly as time goes on 58 K start price and massively more as i know regarding spec. Again i think the noise is just a trait of as said 204. Im sure others in time will ask the same question.Anyway thats my only concern up to now. As you !, paranoid as f-ck after the last 180 BITDI as was defo not reliable full stop. I can kind of tell you have had similar experience regards the old buss, i would like to laugh out loud but has never been funny to anyone of us full stop regarding down time and the inconvenience of not been mobile :(

Mine does it all the time at speed when you can hear the engine. sounds like its low on oil like the old 180 when running low revs when was short of oil of low on dip stick i.e. noisy valve train,
Just had the low oil light come on and topped up with 1 litre of oil.. (6200 miles)
I'll have a listen on the trip tomorrow and see if there is any improvement. And check oil before coming back!

Thanks Bigben be very interested on your findings. As said maybe a trait of 204 at speed as all normal at idle plus revving engine etc.:)

I've had a 204ps DSG for around 1500miles now and having done rear identical runs in this and my previous van, this returns average 31mpg and the 140ps T5 did 38mpg.

I thought I was just imagining it but the increase noise some have mentioned is also with mine. From new was extremely quiet and refined compared to my old T5 140ps (startline not highline as it is now). I expected the trim level to make some difference but struggled to know its a diesel. Now 1500k in there is a slight vibration through the peddle at around 21o0 revs for some reason, and a slight diesel clatter can be heard when accelerating which wasn't there before. Hoping it will just settle down, otherwise well impressed, plently of refined power for any hill / overtake etc.

Back