Clunks from drivetrain

Longers

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

Having a few noises from my van, not sure if I’m imagining some drive issues as well… it’s a 2017 150 with a DSG box (ex RAC van) with just over 130k on the clock.

For a while now I’ve been getting a clunk when I’m reversing and tap the brakes. It seems worse when I’m turning as I reverse, but only really get the loud clunk when I tap the brakes.

I also get some faint clicking noises when I’m turning in drive at slow speeds. Seems worse when it’s cold. It’s only faint, and seems to be intermittent.

I have also noticed it seems to be struggling a little more while going up steep hills. Like it’s slipping a clutch somehow. Sometimes when I’m pulling away from a t junction turning right it does a suddenly take up drive and spin the drives wheel even though I’ve been pretty gentle on the accelerator.

But otherwise all changes are smooth and the van drives fine, just the clunking is bothering me, and not sure if it’s just making me paranoid about the other issues. It has had a DSG service about a year ago.

I did raise the wheels and there does seem like a lot of backlash in the drivetrain, I can rock the wheel back and forth by a good 10 to 15 degrees.

Am thinking it’s possibly the drivers driveshaft. Hopefully isn’t an issue with the box! Anyone got any suggestions or other ways to diagnose? Have just shelled out a load of money on getting the alternator sorted so hoping to avoid another nasty bill!

In terms of the reversing clunk, my money would be on the brakes. If you dab the brakes while reversing and get a clunk, does it clunk again if you keep reversing and dab the brake again?
I have something similar on my 140 manual and I'm sure it's the brake pads moving the caliper.

take a look at the front drop links. . .

It's also worth pulling the O/S driveshaft out of the gearbox and looking at the splines. They might just need re-greasing, but be aware these DSG's also suffer the dreaded O/S transfer driveshaft spline wear problems that all T5's T5.1's and T6's do. Not heard of a T6.1 yet, it's early days, but very likely. Worn splines cause bad clonks when taking up drive, or reversing direction, eventually BANG! and no drive.
If only VW had put another CV joint on the end............

Back