180 vs 204

Something I love about our Subaru (and the BM but it feels slightly less bombproof) is not giving a stuff about cold starts or short journeys. You're allowed to drive it as you wish.

I think the 204 unit is a good engine but the ridiculous fuss it makes on a short journey is alarming. I do think diesels day has been and gone.

I think the 204 unit is a good engine but the ridiculous fuss it makes on a short journey is alarming. I do think diesels day has been and gone.
I fear you're right....if I could have had a petrol, I'd have gotten a petrol for sure!

Oil only depends on the engine and the climate.

5w30 Diesel specific oil. Thin on cold start as diesels hate cold starts. Low temperature rating as Diesel oil can stay quite constant.

In my Prelude I use Mobil 1 10w60 motorsport. 10 is a good rating for cold start petrol in this climate and the high temp 60 rating as I can see 110-120 degree oil temps in vtec.

10k oil change on the van. 5k on the car.

But I think VW are very, very specific about the oil spec. I don't know if it's strictly necessary....or just a ploy to get you to buy from a dealer??

Something I love about our Subaru (and the BM but it feels slightly less bombproof) is not giving a stuff about cold starts or short journeys. You're allowed to drive it as you wish.

Ordered our next car last weekend quite excited as it's our first petroleum engine since we sold our T25, albeit a hybrid, and 4wd.

Ordered our next car last weekend quite excited as it's our first petroleum engine since we sold our T25, albeit a hybrid, and 4wd.
Oooh tell me more! Mitsubishi PHEV? Lexus? Errmmm, can't think of any more.

After our PITA 180 I swore never to have a diesel again (we'd had an Astra 150 CDTI - swirl flap failure at 38k, LR Defender Td4 - numerous issues, 335d - actually pretty reliable then the 180 T5.1 - PITA); so we got the Subaru and already had the M135i - purely petrol! But once we realised we "needed" a camper we reluctantly came back to dieseasel. Definitely a step up from the 180 but I am DEEPLY suspicious of DPFs, DMFs, EGR valves and anything emissions related that is basically like sticking a net/gauze/mesh over a turd outlet pipe and then pretending it's clean.

Oooh tell me more! Mitsubishi PHEV? Lexus? Errmmm, can't think of any more.

After our PITA 180 I swore never to have a diesel again (we'd had an Astra 150 CDTI - swirl flap failure at 38k, LR Defender Td4 - numerous issues, 335d - actually pretty reliable then the 180 T5.1 - PITA); so we got the Subaru and already had the M135i - purely petrol! But once we realised we "needed" a camper we reluctantly came back to dieseasel. Definitely a step up from the 180 but I am DEEPLY suspicious of DPFs, DMFs, EGR valves and anything emissions related that is basically like sticking a net/gauze/mesh over a turd outlet pipe and then pretending it's clean.
Volvo XC90 twin engine

IMG_3064.JPG Oh no I'm a little ashamed at making it sound more exotic than it is, having had an XC60 which was great we were waiting for the new XC40 hybrid but did look at the Outlander PHEV and the XC90, plus a few others....

As we could not make our minds up decided to buy one of these as a stop gap and trade it in when we've decided what to do.

Less than £14k gets you a 4 seater mild hybrid, 4wd, hill descent, hill hold, collision braking, grip control/diff lock, cruise control, LED headlights and drl , keyless entry, auto lights, satnav, the list goes on and on, 70mpg to boot.

Suzuki Ignis, spotted it when we went to see the Outlander, test drive and ordered it there and then, impulse buy, looks like a mini Star Wars storm trooper in white.....could have four for the cost of a Velle!

Love it, really funky. :):):). (Glad its not the f**k ugly Mitsu PHEV, it may have won some awards, but the a miserable excuse for a car design)
Cheers, first time I've impulse bought a car for donkeys years, it's a fun car right enough, the PHEV wasn't our cup of tea......

2013 180bhp sportline vs 2017 201bhp sportline

Good afternoon, New member, Currently looking/interested in 2 vans.

Both 2.0 lt T32 kombi sportlines - one is 2013 180bhp and the other being a 2017 201bhp.

Any one point me in the direction of an existing thread or tell me pros and cons between the two. I seen about the oil cooler on the early 180bhp engines, would the 2013 be in this bracket?

Many thanks

Jim

So many permutations for you here. Price, mileage, options etc. I would be going for the later model. As you know the biturbo engines have issues with EGRs - premature wear - very well documented on this forum. My only advice would be to get a full check done on the engine, if possible including a compression test which is a good indication of impending failure . Needless to say a full service history is very important and take out a decent warranty. Good luck

Thanks for taking the time to reply Robert.

So the 2013 has circa 75k miles, 8 service stamps

The 2017 has 95k miles with services at 13k, 38k, 52k, 66k, 82k, & 95k

I could drone on about 180's and I guess you should avoid unless you walk in with your eye's open, and/or its got a sorted/new engine by someone good like Retro Resus.

Saying that 201 is that the same engine as the 204? Well if so these seem to be getting just as bad press AND are more expensive to fix. If you dont want 4motion go and find a 150, if you do as I said 'walk carefully' with your eyes open

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the 4motions all use BiTDI engines and they are all pants, or is this just for Caravelle's?

Any one point me in the direction of an existing thread
Thread merged. See above yours.

There are a lot of threads on the 180 - click on the tag to see
180PS
Bi-TDI

See also:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Back