16's or 17s AT on a 4 motion and new some new rims

ashmul

T6 Pro
Just moved to a mountain with my T6.1 and experienced a tyre blow out with my 18s with fancy city drive alloy that came with her when I purchased. And of course the previous owner had a 16 in the under carrier, not sure why since its a 4 motion... nightmare day to say the least.

Looking to go AT thinking the K02 and now I'm thinking about a good rim to match. Nothing too fancy or unnecessarily visually stunning, with durability and practicality top of the list, good for road, track and some off road, easy on fuel consumption and the vehicle in general. Trying to source the rim second hand. Was wondering if anyone has ever matched different rims on the one vehicle my thinking being it may be easier to source them individually. Do the rims only come in sets of 4 or can be purchased individually, I need to get five.

Do people recommend a 16 or 17 AT rig. Am I right in thinking a 17 will also fit in the under carrier below. And just now as I am reading some more on here from other posts is there a potential that the rims that I get will require different bolts or attachments to the ones I have now and how do I even begin to figure this out if this is the case

This tyre language is a whole lesson onto itself, its takes some time before you can even learn what the right questions to ask are. So this newbie would appreciate any support in figuring out what Im looking to buy. All the best

Last edited:
Generally speaking, wheel circumferences and diameters don’t change: the diameter of the alloy / steel will get larger whilst the sidewall / profile of the tyre shrinks - these keep the rolling radius the same, meaning your speedo and odometer work as they should.
So the 16” spare should have the same rolling radius as those 18’s.

As for swamper setups, it seems most on here end up with 17” rims and tyres, with A/T sometimes being too noisy. You may fare better with all-season tyres.

If you want strong/practical/smart. You could do a lot worse than a set of 17” t32 OEM steel wheels, powder coated & shod with Michelin Agilis cross climates. Job done.

Back