Feedback would be appreciated on AT Tyres, All Season Tyres, against General Tyres in respect of handling, Braking, Longevity and Fuel consumption.

Is it necessary that I have the load rating for a T30 = 101 as it will not be running with a cargo load but will be converted to a camper in the fullness of time. Can I use a lower load rating. This would increase my option for tyres.

You need the full load rating for your axle weights, not what load you expect to be running.

Reactions: DXX
Thank you for clarifying that for me. Your reply has been most helpful, I will keep on looking

If you're struggling to choose what all-season tyre you want, then I would be tempted to just make it simple and get the Goodyear Cargo Vector in 215/60/17. These are provided as a factory option by VW and there's loads of positive feedback on them, including on this thread.

Is it necessary that I have the load rating for a T30 = 101 as it will not be running with a cargo load but will be converted to a camper in the fullness of time. Can I use a lower load rating. This would increase my option for tyres.

I wouldn't, it's just not a good idea and in the event of a collision your insurance company might decide that you had knowingly made your vehicle unroadworthy, not a situation you want to be in!

Thank you, to all you people who took the time to get on the keyboard and post me snippets of advice, guidance and encouragement ref choice of tyres, along with some very useful links to tyre size calculators. The past feedbacks on the forum ref reviews of different makes and types of tyres was also a good read and helped me to decide on a brand of tyre. Pauly, your thread on Wheel and Tyre Info - T6 range 18th Dec 2016 was very very helpful in getting my head around wheel sizes, wheel load rating, Tyre load rating for the T's 26 28 30 & 32 was very useful. I have just ordered a set of Goodyear Cargo Vectors 235/55/17 with a 103 load rating and a V speed rating to go on the 17" steels that I am using to replace the 16" alloys. I realise that is going to throw my speedo out by about 2mph at 60mph but I will work around that later. I am collecting the van from the dealers on Monday, the tyres should arrive by Wed, they will be fitted to the wheels by Friday and the wheels will be on the van by Saturday next week.
Thank you all again for keeping this 'Newbie' right. I am sure I will find many more questions at a later date on other topics of conversion.
CT20210724_143032.jpg20210724_143050.jpg20210729_164121.jpg

Thank you, to all you people who took the time to get on the keyboard and post me snippets of advice, guidance and encouragement ref choice of tyres, along with some very useful links to tyre size calculators. The past feedbacks on the forum ref reviews of different makes and types of tyres was also a good read and helped me to decide on a brand of tyre. Pauly, your thread on Wheel and Tyre Info - T6 range 18th Dec 2016 was very very helpful in getting my head around wheel sizes, wheel load rating, Tyre load rating for the T's 26 28 30 & 32 was very useful. I have just ordered a set of Goodyear Cargo Vectors 235/55/17 with a 103 load rating and a V speed rating to go on the 17" steels that I am using to replace the 16" alloys. I realise that is going to throw my speedo out by about 2mph at 60mph but I will work around that later. I am collecting the van from the dealers on Monday, the tyres should arrive by Wed, they will be fitted to the wheels by Friday and the wheels will be on the van by Saturday next week.
Thank you all again for keeping this 'Newbie' right. I am sure I will find many more questions at a later date on other topics of conversion.
CTView attachment 125589View attachment 125590View attachment 125591

Sounds good. I don’t think your speedo will be out though, as I think 235/55/17 is a factory size?

I'm not too worried if it is, I built a trike a couple of years back and used a Ford Sierra diff(inverted), drive shafts, hubs and discs. the diff ratio and wheel sizes on the rear put the speedo well out. I was able to get a widget to fit in the line to the electronic speedo that allowed me to re-calibrate it.
I am aware of getting carried away, wanting to buy up all the stuff I need right away and so after having bought the tyres I have handed my credit card over to the boss for her to place in protective custody until we have time recover a bit financially LOL.

Back