T32 4 motion DSG Tyre Pressure 265 40 20

Stu1974

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi guys
I have searched all over here but don’t seem to get the answers I need.
So
Ok I’m having trouble with my van and need anybody with the same van to give me a help or clues as to what pressures they are running. Or indeed if they have moved from this wheel and tire size to a more comfortable stable ride.
I just want a comfortable none crashy ride. The van has to be useable everyday and mounting Kurb happy as I do the school run and live in the sticks. I’m not into the low rider look just need a fully versatile van.
The van is a 2018 T32 Kombi 4 motion DSG swb so is a heavy van as standard compared to a standard T32. Sound deading/carpeted and rear bulk head fitted, that’s it. So doesn’t carry much.

It’s fitted with H&R coilovers so I don’t get any tyre rubbing at all and they are on the soft setting on front shockers as backs are none adjustable.
I also have front and rear H&R roll bars. Decent height of about 20mm in arch’s. So very similar in looks to a standard van dropped on H&R springs.
Fitted with Transport HQ’s Navis 20” 9J rims with a eye of 42 fitted to
with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 SCT (Audi AO) tires. 265 40 20 104y xl rated
Guys who supplied wheels recommended tyre pressures of 40-42 psi. I found the 42 psi pressure to be very harsh and the steering was so light it feels dangerous.
So
I tried the 36 psi all around which was again recommended by another fitter on here. The van seems to spend all its time bouncing and re bounding on the road. Like the tyres are under inflated..steering feels better but so bouncy.
So
I’m now experimenting with different front and rear pressures.

I’m running 38 psi rear at moment and 40 psi front but again seems bouncy.
There’s lots of guys offering advice on the T32 but the van is very heavy compared to a standard T32 being 4 motion and DSG.
Is there any guys with the same van or knowledge to help me?
What pressure or setups have you guys found that works? Or have you kicked the 20’s and moved back to 18’s? If so what tyre sizes and setups have you found that worked?
Thanks in advance guys.

just try this link to an online calculator, you’ll need the following info.

original tyre Size & new tyre size

just try this link to an online calculator, you’ll need the following info.

original tyre Size & new tyre size
Thanks Mate but I've tried that, it doesnt do the 215 60 17c 106 -- 57psi original front tyre. Yes my van has 57psi has standard on the fronts and 48psi on the backs. ON LOW LOAD.

I have the same van but not the same wheel tyre combo, run both my 19's and 20's at 40psi, 19's are 255/45 20's are 235/35 F & 255/35 R.
Drives fine, feels stable with no issue's on either at that pressure.
I also ran my original Devonports at around that pressure as well.

235 35 20?
That must cause problems?
At 265 40 20 @39psi it’s a perfect ride and Speedo is 100% accurate not only on gps Speedo but on digital Speedo on dash.
I get it to a 7% Speedo error on yours?

I don't have the same configuration of T32 as you however it shouldn't really matter. If you base your tyre pressure on the axle weights then pressures in the 36-38psi range are the way to go. See the link below for your tyre size and loading.

I have found 37psi front 36psi rear to be the sweet spot for my van when it has me and my daughter and our biking kit in the back. For reference I have a T32 LWB shuttle with the rear row of seats removed.
When we load the van up with camping gear and clothes and food and the bikes on the back I go for 38psi all round.

40-42Psi is too much for a 265 40 r20 tyre, for one of the pairs of tyres I have on my van (Hankook S1 Evo 3) those pressures would be over the maximum pressure recommended for the tyre.

I would suggest setting the tyre pressure to a value based on the loading of the tyre then keeping that a stable and see if there is any fine tuning that can be done with your shocks. I'm thinking the shocks may have been set soft to deal with hard harsh riding tyres when inflated to 40Psi+

We’ve spent lots of time on tyre pressures over the years, and found the sweet spot for a normal load on this or a 275/35, is 36 psi all round. For heavier weights we take up to 40psi. We actually ran two vans for a year on these two pressure - Identical T32 kombi 4motions both running Bilstein B14s, similars loads and driving(as best as it could be) and the 36 psi wore better as well, especially on the rear, where the 40 seems to wear the centre of the tread more.

Obviously everyone’s situation is different, but these pressure work for most setups, and what we always recommend with wheel and tyre packages we sell.

We’ve never had the bouncing you describe, with this pressure, so this is potentially more the suspension than the tyres?

HTH

We’ve spent lots of time on tyre pressures over the years, and found the sweet spot for a normal load on this or a 275/35, is 36 psi all round. For heavier weights we take up to 40psi. We actually ran two vans for a year on these two pressure - Identical T32 kombi 4motions both running Bilstein B14s, similars loads and driving(as best as it could be) and the 36 psi wore better as well, especially on the rear, where the 40 seems to wear the centre of the tread more.

Obviously everyone’s situation is different, but these pressure work for most setups, and what we always recommend with wheel and tyre packages we sell.

We’ve never had the bouncing you describe, with this pressure, so this is potentially more the suspension than the tyres?

HTH
Wrong I’m afraid
36 psi is far too low for the van
Too much bounce.

39 front and 37 rear is the way to go.

In your opinion for sure and clearly wrong for your suspension setup, but because it works for you please dont assume every other pressure setup is wrong.

Glad youve found your sweet spot, and it’s within the minimum and maximum pressures we recommend :)

Last edited:
In your opinion for sure and clearly wrong for your suspension setup, but because it works for you please dont assume every other pressure setup is wrong.

Glad youve found your sweet spot, and it’s within the minimum and maximum pressures we recommend :)

My setup works 100% and is correct.

36 psi is in no way shape or form safe for the 4motion DSG transporter.

2.6 Bar is a good place to be if unloaded
It must have tried literally every tyre pressure over the last 500 miles.
Yes 39 at the front and 37 at the rear works well for me. Anything else I get a bounce and tyre wall flex and more road noise

Back