Feedback would be appreciated on AT Tyres, All Season Tyres, against General Tyres in respect of handling, Braking, Longevity and Fuel consumption.

Creamytash

T6 Guru
I am Newbie and at a crossroad, one of many that I think I will find myself at on my journey. I pick my van up on Monday, already I have bought the wheels for it 17" steels. The factory fit wheels are 16" alloys that I don't like. I am now trying to decide what tyre to go for. I like the look of the AT and the Cross Climate style but I am trying to balance that with the practicality of what I will be doing, ie meetings/events where I will most likely be in a field, but also will be doing some travelling - motorways, normal roads but not specifically 'Off Roading' possibly 'Stealth Camping'. I don't want to make a schoolboy error and chuck money into the wrong type of tyre. These are the steels that I have bought, I have since read on a thread that the finish quality isn't that good so my reaction to that is, I will have them in and powder coated before I fit them. In short I am attempting to benefit from other peoples experience in my choice of tyre - good or bad. Thanks in anticipation
Creamytash20210729_164114.jpg20210729_164121.jpg

I'd go for general grabber AT3s every day. Had 5 sets now on various vehicles (3 on transporters) and they are quiet, handle well on and off road and wear really well..30k plus on transporter.
I personally found BFG Ko2s ok when they had plenty of tread but atrocious when worn.
Like those wheels bud....don't forget the photos.

As you’d expect for such a capable offroad tyre, you would expect to compromise somewhere. See below link below, personally I wouldn’t be willing to live with such a hit to braking performance in the wet unless I really needed the ability offroad.

T6 Edition, BF Goodrich advice...

As you’d expect for such a capable offroad tyre, you would expect to compromise somewhere. See below link below, personally I wouldn’t be willing to live with such a hit to braking performance in the wet unless I really needed the ability offroad.

T6 Edition, BF Goodrich advice...
That's a very fair comment and I think if I am being truthful to myself I am getting carried away with creating 'A Look' rather than focusing on what I want the tyres to do and in what environment I am mainly going to use them. That added to my inexperience it's making the choice of rubber confusing for me.

I am starting to look at 'All Season' tyres as a compromise. I am only going up 1 inch in wheel diameter so I am wanting to get a profile that will keep my speedo as close to true as possible. I am also having to get my head around 'speed Ratings' and 'Load Ratings' in respect of them going on the van, which I intend to convert over the next 2 years. This is a whole new world to me and I do expect to make mistakes and mistakes = wasted cash.

@Creamytash Good Year Cargo Vectors are the dogs knob, have been in many a muddy field with a 2WD and haven’t got stuck yet.
I’ve been on some very rough tracks with standard T32 running gear, my underslung water tank is the lowest point. No issues.
The Tonka toy route isn’t a neccesity IMO.

@Creamytash Good Year Cargo Vectors are the dogs knob, have been in many a muddy field with a 2WD and haven’t got stuck yet.
I’ve been on some very rough tracks with standard T32 running gear, my underslung water tank is the lowest point. No issues.
The Tonka toy route isn’t a neccesity IMO.
Thanks for the reply, I think I must be getting something all wrong searching for tyres ie trying to find the right wheel size along with the correct load rating and with a profile that gets me as near to the same as with the 16" that I took off. . What load rating are you on and what diameter wheel are you running please, I am on 17" steels.

Just reduce the tyre wall size to accommodate for the rim size increase

This is a fantastic site for checking what size. Go on the comparison tab putting your current tire set up and then putting what you wanted to go to and it will tell you the difference in height width et cetera

Last edited:
This is a fantastic site for checking what size. Go on the comparison tab putting your current tire set up and then putting what you wanted to go to and it will tell you the difference in height width et cetera

Many thanks, I will use that.

I am currently looking at these - any thoughts guys before I spend - 4x Goodyear Vector 4Seasons SUV G2 235/65 R17 108V XL, MFS, M+S
Thanks
CT

I’ve got these on my Honda Jazz and love them. I’ve got the generation three with the three peaks Mountain Sign And they are good to go in winter on the Continent

I am currently looking at these - any thoughts guys before I spend - 4x Goodyear Vector 4Seasons SUV G2 235/65 R17 108V XL, MFS, M+S
Thanks
CT

If you’re going goodyear, I’d be more tempted by Cargo Vectors given how much good feedback there is on them.

Also, they are significantly oversized (6.4% speedo out), factory size would be 235/55/17 or 215/60/17.

If you’re going goodyear, I’d be more tempted by Cargo Vectors given how much good feedback there is on them.

Also, they are significantly oversized (6.4% speedo out), factory size would be 235/55/17 or 215/60/17.
I get that about the speedo - out and you are right. However I am having a right job find tyres of the right type and size along with the required load ratings.

Is it necessary that I have the load rating for a T30 = 101 as it will not be running with a cargo load but will be converted to a camper in the fullness of time. Can I use a lower load rating. This would increase my option for tyres.

Is it necessary that I have the load rating for a T30 = 101 as it will not be running with a cargo load but will be converted to a camper in the fullness of time. Can I use a lower load rating. This would increase my option for tyres.
Conversion adds a lot of weight!

Back