Winter Tyres?

A bit more on "Wet grip"
Wet Grip
The official line:

This relates to the tyres ability to stop quickly on wet roads and is expressed in terms of stopping distance. The difference between A and F is more than 18 metres stopping distance.

What we think:

It only demonstrates straight line braking performance and does not cover safety critical parameters such as; grip on dry roads, cornering grip on wet roads or aquaplaning performance. I’m afraid that we have further issues too; since the tyre manufacturers announced their label values there have been a bunch of independent tyre tests that paint a very different picture.

The most prominent example was highlighted in the Auto Express summer tyre test 2012. Michelin had just released the new Energy Saver + and in the tyre size 205/55R16 it carries a label with wet grip rating of A. However Auto Express quoted the following, “it was the worst performer across our wet test track tests. It finished seventh (out of 8) in our wet braking assessment, as it took three metres longer than the best to bring the car to a halt, while it also struggled in aquaplaning (straight 8th, curved 7th) and wet handling (8th). You could clearly feel the limited grip from behind the wheel, with poor traction and lack of balance.”

Personally I'm also very cynical of this test/results, which I why i run all-season tyres; I'm pretty sure from my own experiences that even in summer; these tyres are so much safer and more competent than summer tyres on a van, in poor summer weather conditions. Just my opinion.

I need a new set of tyres over the next couple of weeks.
Any recommendations for an all season tyre, 245/55/18?

I need a new set of tyres over the next couple of weeks.
Any recommendations for an all season tyre, 245/55/18?
I think for that size it has to be Bridgestone weather control A005; very good tyre.
Bridgestone Weather Control A005 255/45 R18 103 Y XL » Oponeo.co.uk
Not saying tha above is the best/cheapest place to buy from.

I run the slightly larger 235/55/18, which I prefer.
Nokian Tyres / All Season SUV 4x4 / Nokian Weatherproof SUV - 235/55 R18 104V XL TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 69dB All Season - Four Season - All Weather - SUV/4x4 Tyres - 18" R18" - 235/55/18, 235/55R18

Both fab tyres imo, and both will more than meet your needs:
Haven't run the Pirellis on a T6, so I don't have a proper back to back comparison; however......
Wet road handling: the Nokians have an euro "A" rating; where as the AT+ have a "E"; so the Nokians win, but in my experience they are both very good on wet roads; and both excellent in stood water, they are so much more able to shift deep water than any summer tyre I have experienced, and you can get deep water in summer. There are some articles on google querying the validity of the euro wet test, and I'm not surprised; the test in based on a slightly moist road at a certain temperature only; so the test doesn't really cover the most difficult wet conditions. But I would have to give this one to the Nokians.
Off-road: well both will do this very easily. The AT+ will have more cut and chip resistance, if the ground is rocky/sharp; the AT+ are better in deeper mud aslo; so the AT+ will win this one
Snow: Again both very good; if the snow was deeper i think the AT+ would edge this; if the road was just icy I think the Nokians would win. so perhaps a draw..........
Off road look; no comparison AT+ all day long.
On road; the Nokians win

So I think it would be the AT+'s that win out, particularly if you want the swamper look.
I've must say I keep looking for a reason to get a set of AT+'s my self just to try them on a T6, I would go for the 225/65/17 size; as I think the slightly smaller size is more suited to my needs.

If you do go for them, please post some pics up.

Thank you!

Im currently running pirelli ATR, not happy with wet road handling otherwise great tyres. I definitely like the look of at+, but not sure if pirelli has improved the wet road handling as ATR are replaced by AT+. Also according to pirreli’s website AT+ performance ratio is 40% on road and 60% off road.

Im more after 90% on road and 10% light off road

also considering graber AT3s they are wet road C rated and look good as well.

Probably will go for weatherproofs as they look a bit more capable on wet road as well as quiet good on alpine snow, no swamper look though...:(

Thank you!

Im currently running pirelli ATR, not happy with wet road handling otherwise great tyres. I definitely like the look of at+, but not sure if pirelli has improved the wet road handling as ATR are replaced by AT+. Also according to pirreli’s website AT+ performance ratio is 40% on road and 60% off road.

Im more after 90% on road and 10% light off road

also considering graber AT3s they are wet road C rated and look good as well.

Probably will go for weatherproofs as they look a bit more capable on wet road as well as quiet good on alpine snow, no swamper look though...:(
I think the AT+ is a significant improvement over the ATR; The off road/on road charts I think are more relevant to countries/area where many people run mostly on un paved roads including some American states and aussie territories; because these tyres can have a very short life with lots of punctures if the wrong tyre is selected.
Previously on our Double cab pick ups we have run all manner of BFG;Coopers:GG, and never been blown away with any of them; and we've run GG AT (older model ) on our T5;
but our current AT+ do seem significantly better than any of the others; thats why I'm really keen to try them on out T6.
But if you set the swamper looks, of the AT+ aside; then the Nokian is probably the better tyre, particularly when you spend most of your time on a paved highway.
You will not be disappointed with the Nokians.

Because of the REVO big brake kit on our demo, we have to get winter tyres for our 20" wheels, as we can't fit smaller wheels - And its the cheapest way of doing it. We run 275/35 winters for our trips to the alps. Our vehicle is 4motion, but even in heavy snow we have never had to put chains or socks on. 20" snow tyres work well :) plus we dont loose any cool points .....31B544C6-FAA5-453C-AF4A-5E4475DDF5AF.JPG

As far as I knew, studded tyres were banned in some countries because they damage road surfaces, but that could be an internet myth. They are only really meant for real hardcore ice conditions.

Whist you're shopping there @RyanGerry pick me up a set of T6.1 rear lights please mate :thumbsup:

I know when I was in Bodo last winter all the vehicles had studded tyres, but it was -10°C at midday!

As far as I knew, studded tyres were banned in some countries because they damage road surfaces, but that could be an internet myth. They are only really meant for real hardcore ice conditions.

You're totally right. They do damage roads. Here in Finland we use studded tires a lot. In the spring when the weathers turning to be on the plus side, and ice and snow starts to melt and the overall wetness starts to dry, we have this problem especially in the cities, that the studded tires scrape the asphalt off the roads and it turns into dust like that lingers in the air. We tho have a time set in law where we have to have winter tires on the car. The weather here in late fall early winter is always rainy, and when temperatures plummet close to zero and the sky is clear we can have flash-icing, so called black ice on the roads. This can happen around +3'C. Not to mention about the winter, where we can have up to -30'C when everything is slippery and icy.

You really don't want to experience them, I had to go and replace metal halide lamps in a commercial freezer plant near Bedford, at -26 C I had to warm the lamps one at a time on a radiator outside then leap into a cage on a fork lift to be raised up to the lights at 20ft, put the lamps in live and replace the glass covers... 16 times on two separate visits.

Stuff the cold!:oops:

I have STD 16" alloy wheels in the garage with 215/65/16 C load rated continentals on.
Does anyone have experience of these tyres in the winter on Ice and snow? Do I really need winter tyres?

I've looked at getting winter tyres and can safely fit 102 load rated tyres on my T30.
Will the tyre wall be super soft and bouncy due to the difference in load rating or will they be ok.
I've never run the 16" as they were in the van when I bought it.16367528135654767482991379087489.jpg

I reckon your existing tyres will be fine. Your driving style in foul weather is more important than the tyre you are relying on!!!

Whenever it's snowed I've left my van with its 20's on the drive and use my Fiesta. However I'm just about to sell it and trying to sort out winter set up before the van is my only vehicle for winter.

Whenever it's snowed I've left my van with its 20's on the drive and use my Fiesta. However I'm just about to sell it and trying to sort out winter set up before the van is my only vehicle for winter.
Yes, snow is a different beast! Given that down this way the place closes as the hint of a hard frost……!!!

Think about all season tires with the 3PMSF symbol on the side and you’ll be fine whatever the weather. They really are pretty good all year round now.

Back