Winter Tyres?

Hey everyone

currently running 275/40/20's

Will be spending abit of time in highlands this year and wondered wot people thoughts are on winter tyres?

my original 205/50/16's are in the shed..was thinking of changing them to winter..but would lose style points..lol. can u get chunky winter tyres for 275? diff in costs?

worried about snow and slick conditions...weight of van..etc?

any help would be appreciated

Pretty sure most people will tell you that a 275 snow tyre is a bit pointless, and you want to down at 245 maximum. That said, i ran 265 snows on my e39 M5 and that was hands down the most fun I've ever had in a car, and pretty effective too!

Still waiting for my van, but looking at running 245/50/18 Nokian WR A4

I'm looking for winter tyres to go on my Devonports. Having lived in Germany for a long while, I have a lot of faith in the tyre reviews by ADAC and always went for the best tyres with good snow grip (I go skiing a lot). It's not so easy to find reviews of van tyres, though there was that SUV all season tyre review that someone posted recently, and its not so easy to find places selling them.

I had downselected the Michelin CrossClimate 215/6- R17C 109/107T (I've a T32) for their all round performance and snow grip (noting that the snow braking was a let down) but am a bit shocked by the £175 price tag (mytyres.co.uk).

So what winter tyre offers have people found this season? Does anyone have any pointers to a better deal?

Thanks in advance.

I paid £550 inc fitting for 4 x Cross Climates from Blackcircles, but I’m not sure mine are load rated as high as that, I only have a T28, and mine are 235/55 17 SUV. £700 does sound a lot

Last edited:
Not got my van (Caravelle) yet. Not been built. But I have been running Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme for the last 20 years on the two Audi S4s we have had. So have some Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S 235/55 R17 103V XL from MyTyres to go onto a set of Devonports from I bought fleebay for when it arrives.

VW fit would be the Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 all season tyres, I've recently picked up a lightly used set on devonports that will be going on mine for the winter.

Thanks, but they do not look to have a good "snow" tread pattern. I firmly believe that there are winter tyres, and there are snow tyres. The latter being winter tyres but with a tread pattern to aid grip in the snow.
I once had an Audi with Continental winter tyres on in Germany, and they were fine around Munich, but try going up a snow covered mountain road and they were awful. I usually swear by Continental WinterContact tyres, but they need to be the TS850 version (?) to have the good snow tread pattern. These were a lowland version, and fine in cold or icy conditions, but not in snow.

I paid £550 inc fitting for 4 x Cross Climates from Blackcircles, but I’m not sure mine are load rated as high as that, I only have a T28, and mine are 235/55 17 SUV. £700 does sound a lot

I've looked on Blackcircles, and they don't appear to do anything that looks to have good snow grip for a T32.

The Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme have never failed me in all the trips to the alps I have done. Got caught in some deep snow where the front spoiler on the S4 was acting a a snow plough and they have not lost grip. But each to there own.

I fitted a new set of Falken Eurowinter 255/45/18 104s yesterday and already I'm liking them a lot.
£540 a set fitted.

I just not convinced by winter tyres at all for predominantly UK use.
On the average winter days in the UK, winter tyres can offer very low levels of grip in dry and wet
Good quality All-Seasons are much better for our temperature range, even in Scotland
Different story in some Northern European countries, which can get predicatbly very cold for month after month.
I run Nokian Weatherproofs all year round, and for a van they are superb, come what may imo

I get what you’re saying, but I genuinely believe there’s a place for winter tyres if you do actually need them for your conditions and are prepared to run two sets of wheels.

They are amazing in the snow, and even if there are only a few times you need that, then they could well be worth it. Ultimately the “need” is entirely subjective

Pays your money, makes your choice

I just not convinced by winter tyres at all for predominantly UK use.
On the average winter days in the UK, winter tyres can offer very low levels of grip in dry and wet
Good quality All-Seasons are much better for our temperature range, even in Scotland
Different story in some Northern European countries, which can get predicatbly very cold for month after month.
I run Nokian Weatherproofs all year round, and for a van they are superb, come what may imo

Running Nokia weatherproof as well, brilliant tyres.

Winter tyres are not just about performing in snow. They are more effective than summer tyres in temperatures below 7 deg C where normal tyre rubber becomes very hard. Living in the Highlands I see those sort of temperatures or lower for typically at least 6 months of the year so I run Nokian WRA4 255/45/18 all year round. Not ideal in summer but I only do about 8k miles per year so don’t think it’s worth changing them

Winter tyres are not just about performing in snow. They are more effective than summer tyres in temperatures below 7 deg C where normal tyre rubber becomes very hard. Living in the Highlands I see those sort of temperatures or lower for typically at least 6 months of the year so I run Nokian WRA4 255/45/18 all year round. Not ideal in summer but I only do about 8k miles per year so don’t think it’s worth changing them
I'm not comparing running summer tyres v winter tyres in winter;
I'm comparing running the best ALL-SEASON tyres v winter tyres in UK winters (including Scotland). Just not as cold, as long, as predictable, as Scandinavia, North/East Europe etc.
How many days average below -15c?, I just think that the best All-Season are better profiled, more than good enough for the cold winter days/nights; and so much better on the average/warmer winter days/nights imo.

Last edited:
Back