Winter Tyres?

Defo go full winter up here. I've got a spare set and always run full winters from around now until April. I have a set of 17in with slightly bigger winter tyres to give a little extra clearance and my current 18in Defender steels have full winters as well but I might be selling these on.

I know folk that had all season last year and struggled about on the roads around here. If we have another winter like last you will definitely benefit.

IMG_20210212_105909.thumb.jpg.83fc64a785b8a1cdaf0bea71ca8e8bc8.jpg

From experience I’m a big fan of the Michelin Cross Climate tyres…. we had them fitted on the Mrs’s previous Golf (until it got written off) and then we replaced the crappy budget tyres on her ‘new to us’ Golf with the same…. and what a difference, both in terms of noise and feel. More than anything it gives her the confidence to drive in all weathers to her work which is all country roads.

I’m going to wait until I need to replace my current Goodyear (summer) tyres, then I’ll definitely be going the Cross Climate route.
We fitted Michelin Cross Climate’s on my wife’s Yaris a couple of years ago, just to the fronts.
Mainly country lanes where we live, never gritted and steep hills.
On compacted snow and ice, the Michelin’s were absolutely brilliant.
I will definitely be getting some for the T6.

I'm a bit conflicted with the reviews of the climates. I have till 1800 tonight to decide on the purchase. £360 all in when fitted is a great price but I think I'd be happy to spend a few more pennies to make sure the van moves in the snow. I've read a few reviews on here of the cross climates not being any good in the snow and bad for wheel spin under load.

I'm a bit conflicted with the reviews of the climates. I have till 1800 tonight to decide on the purchase. £360 all in when fitted is a great price but I think I'd be happy to spend a few more pennies to make sure the van moves in the snow. I've read a few reviews on here of the cross climates not being any good in the snow and bad for wheel spin under load.
If I lived up in Aberdeenshire like yourself and @coullstar , I’d definitely go for full winter tyres looking at his last picture. You guys know how bad the weather can get up there, far worse I’m sure than in the midlands and down south.

You’ve got some ideal 16” wheels to put your winters on that shouldn’t work out to be too expensive? You could even go 205/65 on those wheels. Have you thought about the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate (proper van tyre)…. aggressive looking tread pattern?

3B364637-DA42-4590-8B9E-454631FB7FFD.jpeg

We fitted Michelin Cross Climate’s on my wife’s Yaris a couple of years ago, just to the fronts.
Mainly country lanes where we live, never gritted and steep hills.
On compacted snow and ice, the Michelin’s were absolutely brilliant.
I will definitely be getting some for the T6.
It's not a great idea to run normal tyres on back with winters on the front. On snow or ice when braking hard it will lock them up easier so you can lead to car spinning easy.

With winters it's not just about how you get going it's about how you need to stop and steer, that's when they come into their own.

I will never ever run a winter where I live without them.

Well I took the advice of the tyre center owner, he was of the opinion that larger/heavier vehicles should definitely have all four the same but on something as small as a Yaris just the drive wheels would be fine.
We have had no issues with this configuration.

If I lived up in Aberdeenshire like yourself and @coullstar , I’d definitely go for full winter tyres looking at his last picture. You guys know how bad the weather can get up there, far worse I’m sure than in the midlands and down south.

You’ve got some ideal 16” wheels to put your winters on that shouldn’t work out to be too expensive? You could even go 205/65 on those wheels. Have you thought about the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate (proper van tyre)…. aggressive looking tread pattern?

View attachment 136612
Great advice

Interesting thread. I'm on the lookout for a set of wheels (still have the factory 16" ones on) and need to make a tyre decision, i.e.

How good are cross-climate compared to full winter (I have Full winters for my RWD BMW and IMO they are ESSENTIAL if it snows here in Lancashire)
Do CCs have more road noise, worse MPG, or other cons?
Are the Michelin CCs the best ones, or as good as any other?

I could get full winters on the OEM wheels and store them in summer, but if CCs are say 80% as good, that may be better for my already bursting garage.

Well I took the advice of the tyre center owner, he was of the opinion that larger/heavier vehicles should definitely have all four the same but on something as small as a Yaris just the drive wheels would be fine.
We have had no issues with this configuration.
You need to change tyre centres then.
Someone beat me to the video.

Interesting thread. I'm on the lookout for a set of wheels (still have the factory 16" ones on) and need to make a tyre decision, i.e.

How good are cross-climate compared to full winter (I have Full winters for my RWD BMW and IMO they are ESSENTIAL if it snows here in Lancashire)
Do CCs have more road noise, worse MPG, or other cons?
Are the Michelin CCs the best ones, or as good as any other?

I could get full winters on the OEM wheels and store them in summer, but if CCs are say 80% as good, that may be better for my already bursting garage.
I can’t compare the CC’s with a full winter tyre because I’ve never run a full winter to be fair. But as I said in a previous post, we put the CC’s onto my Mrs’s Golf and it made a big improvement…. more feel at the steering wheel (softer/grippier) and less road noise for sure. I’m sure with RWD BMW full winters are essential in Lancashire!

We run the Michelin Agilis Cross Climate (proper van tyre) - as suggested by T6ARF - all year. They really are very good! There's one particular little track on a hill leading to a pleasing camping spot we use. On the OE Conti's the van was supplied with, it would scrabble and struggle, even in the dry, to get up it. On the Agilis, no drama at all. And I find them rather better on the road overall, especially in the wet. Even in summer. Best practise would be to have the same tyres on all four wheels.

I can’t compare the CC’s with a full winter tyre because I’ve never run a full winter to be fair. But as I said in a previous post, we put the CC’s onto my Mrs’s Golf and it made a big improvement…. more feel at the steering wheel (softer/grippier) and less road noise for sure. I’m sure with RWD BMW full winters are essential in Lancashire!
I appreciate the review on the Cc's but thats not on a heavy van. My dad has them on his AWD Kuga and they work well too.
Just thinking a dedicated winter tyre would suit the 16"s better and for an extra £50 I can get a set of new Vredestein Wintrac.
Anyone used them?
I'll never use them all year round so if a dedicated winter will perform better than the all season then I think my money will be better spent on the Wintracs .....if anyone knows why I shouldn't opt for them please shout out as I'll order them in tonight otherwise....need em fitted by Wednesday as I'm off on holiday down to Cumbria...and weather looks like it's turning to I've and snow.

They’ll be fine! I can’t vouch for them as I haven’t used them, but you’ll have a winter tire on during winter at a good price! Job’s a good one!

They’ll be fine! I can’t vouch for them as I haven’t used them, but you’ll have a winter tire on during winter at a good price! Job’s a good one!
I'm just a nightmare when it comes to things like this....there is so much info out there it baffles the poop out of me. Just hoping for some real world T6 owner reviews.

If you have a spare set of wheels full winters everytime especially for the winters we get. Its like night and day difference compared to normal tyres. I've tried quite a few different brands and used Minerva ones last winter and all work fine. Vred's are good.

I appreciate the review on the Cc's but thats not on a heavy van. My dad has them on his AWD Kuga and they work well too.
Just thinking a dedicated winter tyre would suit the 16"s better and for an extra £50 I can get a set of new Vredestein Wintrac.
Anyone used them?
I'll never use them all year round so if a dedicated winter will perform better than the all season then I think my money will be better spent on the Wintracs .....if anyone knows why I shouldn't opt for them please shout out as I'll order them in tonight otherwise....need em fitted by Wednesday as I'm off on holiday down to Cumbria...and weather looks like it's turning to I've and snow.
I totally agree about the dedicated winters on your 16’s…. that’s what I would do!

Just tried to buy them and now can get fitted till day I've left....lol....shouldn't agonise I've stuff so much. Hopefully the snow stays away and do it when I get back.

Back