Winter Tyres?

A decent winter tyre or all season in anything below 7° will handle better than your summer tyre, especially in snow.

If you are keeping you vehicle a few years then invest in a set of winters or all seasons, swap them when the temp is regularly below 7°, normally around November time, and swap back in the spring. It’s will handle and drive so much better, as well as being safer. In the long run you will save money as well due to how the tyres wear. Down south this is not something we need to do.

I regularity visit the alps in the winter and always have winters on, with 4Motion I never have to put chains on.

I have STD 16" alloy wheels in the garage with 215/65/16 C load rated continentals on.
Does anyone have experience of these tyres in the winter on Ice and snow? Do I really need winter tyres?

I've looked at getting winter tyres and can safely fit 102 load rated tyres on my T30.
Will the tyre wall be super soft and bouncy due to the difference in load rating or will they be ok.
I've never run the 16" as they were in the van when I bought it.View attachment 136335
They will be piss poor in ice and snow. Any tyre with the 3 peaks snowflake symbol will be a revelation in that type of weather if you're used to summer tyres in winter, if they are a spare set I would put some winter tyres on them and swap them over anytime now, you will honestly be amazed how capable the van will be with the right tyres on.

I have STD 16" alloy wheels in the garage with 215/65/16 C load rated continentals on.
Does anyone have experience of these tyres in the winter on Ice and snow? Do I really need winter tyres?

I've looked at getting winter tyres and can safely fit 102 load rated tyres on my T30.
Will the tyre wall be super soft and bouncy due to the difference in load rating or will they be ok.
I've never run the 16" as they were in the van when I bought it.View attachment 136335
I’d run the tyres you’ve got for this winter and see how it goes…. they look to have plenty of grip on them and they are a premium brand. On the other hand if you can afford new dedicated winter tyres then go for that if it’ll give you peace of mind and more confidence in the winter weather.

Looks a good price for premium brand winters in your size and load rating plus there's money off for black Friday.
That is a good price for a premium winter tyre.

Profil_DiscovererWinter.jpg

What #BognorMotors said.
Grip from winter tyres in cold conditions is noticeably better than summer tyres. Snow grip however, depends as much on the tread pattern so there can be a big difference in snow grip across winter tyres.
If you will be driving a lot over winter, especially further north and in hilly terrain, get some winters for them.

I would go all season, unless you’re in Scotland and expecting lots of snow, even then I’d probably still go for all seasons.
I have the Goodyear cargo vector on my Devonports and they are great in all weathers!

I would go all season, unless you’re in Scotland and expecting lots of snow, even then I’d probably still go for all seasons.
I have the Goodyear cargo vector on my Devonports and they are great in all weathers!
+1 for the vectors on Devonports - great mix!

Reactions: DXX
As you've already got the wheels, I'd definitely stick on a set of proper winter tyres. You can tell just by looking at the tread pattern and lack of sipes that those tyres are for lower rolling resistance and better fuel consumption but will be severely compromised in the snow.

The first time you drive on snow with winter tyres you'll wonder why you never fitted them before.......and it only gets above 7 celsius about three days a year around Aberdeen so a good investment.

From my experience, the cheaper winter tyres are good in the snow but in dry conditions they can understeer compared to a summer tyre, are noisy and affect your fuel consumption. We use Hancook I'cept Evo 2 tyres on the T6 and a Yeti and they drive really well in all conditions over the winter........so much so that once they get to about 4 or 5mm, we just leave them on in the summer too and then replace them in November.

As you've already got the wheels, I'd definitely stick on a set of proper winter tyres. You can tell just by looking at the tread pattern and lack of sipes that those tyres are for lower rolling resistance and better fuel consumption but will be severely compromised in the snow.

The first time you drive on snow with winter tyres you'll wonder why you never fitted them before.......and it only gets above 7 celsius about three days a year around Aberdeen so a good investment.

From my experience, the cheaper winter tyres are good in the snow but in dry conditions they can understeer compared to a summer tyre, are noisy and affect your fuel consumption. We use Hancook I'cept Evo 2 tyres on the T6 and a Yeti and they drive really well in all conditions over the winter........so much so that once they get to about 4 or 5mm, we just leave them on in the summer too and then replace them in November.
Great post! The “Scottish weather” is an important factor and I wouldn’t discount the notion of having a set of winter wheels with suitable tyres. (My comments from Hampshire are redundant tbh!)

From experience I’m a big fan of the Michelin Cross Climate tyres…. we had them fitted on the Mrs’s previous Golf (until it got written off) and then we replaced the crappy budget tyres on her ‘new to us’ Golf with the same…. and what a difference, both in terms of noise and feel. More than anything it gives her the confidence to drive in all weathers to her work which is all country roads.

I’m going to wait until I need to replace my current Goodyear (summer) tyres, then I’ll definitely be going the Cross Climate route.

Thanks for your reply people...much appreciated!
Think I'll get some winters fitted to the 16's.

Will there be alot of difference in side wall bounce/roll from the C commercial grade tyres I have fitted compared to a 102 load rated I can fit. Done a fair bit of google....ing and can't find a definitive answer.
I run 102 on my 20's but the side wall is tiny in comparison to the 65 profiles on the 16's.
Just don't want to go for 102's on a big sidewall if it's gonna make it roll and bounce everywhere.
I'm running 75mm lower than standard now on Koni and h&r coilovers. So the ride is a bit stiffer but more compliant over bumps...incase this will make a difference.
Anyone have experience with 102 load rated on STD 16"?

I’m not a tyre expert by any means, but I’m sure if the tyre is sufficiently load rated for your vehicle, you won’t notice any difference between the commercial or non commercial tyre?

Back