Winter Tyres?

Lee

T6 Pro
Have never even considered winter tyres in the past.

My T6 is getting me more into things like this, just wondered how essential these things are, also, any recommendations and an idea of cost?

You could get a set of t32 wheels davonports as they come with all weather tyres as standard and go for about £650 on eBay . I have them on mine so will be giving them a go this winter . Looking at reviews they are much better than summer but not as good as full winter but so should be ok for are winters .

You could get a set of t32 wheels davonports as they come with all weather tyres as standard and go for about £650 on eBay . I have them on mine so will be giving them a go this winter . Looking at reviews they are much better than summer but not as good as full winter but so should be ok for are winters .
I don't think the the All-Season tyres come as standard on the Devonports, you have to pay a bit extra for them, I think. But defiantly a good way to get some All-Season tyres, but not as good as proper winter for the alps etc, but more than good enough for the UK.

image.png image.png Mine came standard on a t32 Kombi . Should look like this you can see the slits in the tread . I just found these on eBay.

Ahhh, I see that must be a T32 thing. Defiantly an extra cost on mine (Caravelle), and many of the Devonports have a road summer tyre only. All-Weather (cargo Vector) is a Summer tyre; It may have the Mud&Snow (carries M&S )symbol which relates to the tread, but the compound is a summer(ish) compound.
The Vector All Seasons(which mine came with as an extra) compound generally carries a "3 peak Mountain/snow flake" symbol and meets the standard required of a Winter tyre. I don't think the Cargo Vectors are legal in Germany in Winter, because they are not a winter compound. But even the 4-Seasons aren't a proper winter tyre, but they go some way; are legal in Germany etc in winter; and last OK in British Summers.

Winter tyres – don’t rely on the M+S mark! » Oponeo.co.uk

It's all a bit confusing. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Have never even considered winter tyres in the past.

My T6 is getting me more into things like this, just wondered how essential these things are, also, any recommendations and an idea of cost?
If you only travel in the UK (and not the bleakest points of highland Scotland); arguably you maybe don't need the full winter tyre; not sure where you are in the UK, but in 2010 we got as low as -20C but only for a week; in Germany(parts) you get this every year. Last year I think we only got 2 real frosts, which had thawed by 09.00hrs.
So you may feel that M&S tyres (good quality - there is loads of rubbish around) maybe all you need - still a summer rubber compound, but with a few extras thrown in for good luck. If they are All-Weather as well, this usually means they test well in specific Rain tests also. The problem is there are no real standards around these tyres, so you need good 3rd party comparative test data / user customer feedback info to confirm.
The next step up is the All-Season Tyres which carries the 3PMSF (snow flake), but you can use all year around in the UK, i.e. no need for 2 sets of tyres. Like the GoodYear Vector 4 season Gen2 SUV; and the GY Vector (2) not sure about the Vector (1)
The Rolls Royce is the full winter tyres, but you will need 2 sets of tyres, as these will self destruct in summer (even in a UK - summer) generally speaking- there are a few eceptions. I personally think these are overkill if you live in England, and do not travel to freezing Mountains sufficently.

Last edited:
The standard Cargo vectors do have the 3 point peak symbol for winter use. Not sure what the slight difference is for but the front tyres are slightly different from the rears, the tread is cut with a wavy line rather than straight. Seen this on all the goodyear equipped devonports.

The standard Cargo vectors do have the 3 point peak symbol for winter use. Not sure what the slight difference is for but the front tyres are slightly different from the rears, the tread is cut with a wavy line rather than straight. Seen this on all the goodyear equipped devonports.
Oh I apologise then, I do not think they used to. The Devonports you are seeing I think must be all from T32 Highlines or Similar; Because there are Devonports with Summer only tyres on, maybe not on eBay at this moment.

s-l1600.jpg

Heres a pic of some Goodyears- anyone know why the top tyre has serrated cuts but the one underneath is slotted. Mines the same, yet all the numbers are the same. The serrated ones are fitted on the fronts, checked out a few vans and all the same ?

View attachment 1890

Heres a pic of some Goodyears- anyone know why the top tyre has serrated cuts but the one underneath is slotted. Mines the same, yet all the numbers are the same. The serrated ones are fitted on the fronts, checked out a few vans and all the same ?
That's very strange, the tyre sipes' length is increased with the zig-zag pattern, which improves poor weather/ice performance. But two styles??? could it be ones a newer pattern??? different factory????
Are these the tyres that were fitted from factory new?

I've checked out about ten vans at a dealership and all were the same as mine- serrated on the front and slotted on the rear. The ones for sale on ebay are also the same and there from one end of the country to the other so it rules out a batch thing.But I cant find any difference in the numbers on the sidewall !!! If any ones fitted a set of these insted of steels etc might be worth checking out where you fitted them. Their must be a reason why the factory have fitted them this way.

I've checked out about ten vans at a dealership and all were the same as mine- serrated on the front and slotted on the rear. The ones for sale on ebay are also the same and there from one end of the country to the other so it rules out a batch thing.But I cant find any difference in the numbers on the sidewall !!! If any ones fitted a set of these insted of steels etc might be worth checking out where you fitted them. Their must be a reason why the factory have fitted them this way.
I can't start to understand this???? Can you tell which tyre pattern you would get if you bought a brand new tyre today from one of the big online tyre retailers?????? It would be interesting to email GY customer service for an answer, this is very strange????

I have just looked at mine and they look the same but open up the rear slit and you can see the zig zags . I think they open up when used to pull the van on the front . All weather are not the same as 4 seasons I think they pass the test to have the snow and mountain symbol on them . I am not sure that people on eBay are aware they have a good set of tyres they could pop on if the weather gets bad they are a bargain at £700 .
It could be a good idea to run the rears on the front for a bit to open them up has anyone with 4 motion got them and do the rear look the same as they will be used to move the van.

I have just looked at mine and they look the same but open up the rear slit and you can see the zig zags . I think they open up when used to pull the van on the front . All weather are not the same as 4 seasons I think they pass the test to have the snow and mountain symbol on them . I am not sure that people on eBay are aware they have a good set of tyres they could pop on if the weather gets bad they are a bargain at £700 .
It could be a good idea to run the rears on the front for a bit to open them up has anyone with 4 motion got them and do the rear look the same as they will be used to move the van.
Well thought out, I was really struggling to think this through.

I stuck Winter tyres on my old 335d; they were SO bad, I returned them.
But our Subaru (with proper tyre sizes) now has Michelin CrossClimates which are brilliant; they "winterise" a Summer tyre rather than using a super soft sidewall and over firm tread blocks. However they don't seem to do ones for vans yet... I'll get some when they do.

Why the hell do manufacturers put crappy sport tyres on a 4wd vehicle.
My 4motion has Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, they are going to be great in the snow - not!
Had the same with a Volvo XC60 fitted from new with Pirelli P Zero.

Will be going same route at the Volvo, decent all weather tyre.

Why the hell do manufacturers put crappy sport tyres on a 4wd vehicle.
My 4motion has Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, they are going to be great in the snow - not!
Had the same with a Volvo XC60 fitted from new with Pirelli P Zero.

Will be going same route at the Volvo, decent all weather tyre.
I have an XC60 and T6 4 Motion; both now have Nokian Weather Proof SUV, superb tyre in every way.:):):)
Nokian Weatherproof SUV - The high-performance Nokian Weatherproof SUV can carry and manage its high wheel loads surely and firmly on ice, snow, bare roads or even the ever treacherous slush. / Nokian Tyres, but neither came as standard

I stuck Winter tyres on my old 335d; they were SO bad, I returned them.
But our Subaru (with proper tyre sizes) now has Michelin CrossClimates which are brilliant; they "winterise" a Summer tyre rather than using a super soft sidewall and over firm tread blocks. However they don't seem to do ones for vans yet... I'll get some when they do.
I always rated Michelin as my first tyre choice; but have gone with the Nokian Weatherproof SUV in 235/60/17 size (this tyre size is really for Subaru Foresters mainly), works brilliantly on my van, and looks very nice as well; about 3% circumference; 12mm radius bigger; fills the arches really well.

I always rated Michelin as my first tyre choice; but have gone with the Nokian Weatherproof SUV in 235/60/17 size (this tyre size is really for Subaru Foresters mainly), works brilliantly on my van, and looks very nice as well; about 3% circumference; 12mm radius bigger; fills the arches really well.
Hmmm, I'll check these out. A big fan of Michelin too; the BM has Pilot Super Sports which are ace (except in snow, mud, grass, etc!!).
My Cali 4motion came with Bridgestone Turanzas. They seem okay but they are definitely Summer tyres. Our last Cali came with Dunlop Sports...

Back