Wild Atlantic Way Ireland Break.

Interesting fact. Number plate wouldn't work when trying to pay for parking in Cork today. After speaking to the parking warden he has said that "in Ireland parking wardens cant issue fines to vehicles out of their jurisdiction" as a result parking is free to all foreign vehicles. You can however "still get towed for parking like a tit".
What’s the parking like in Cork? I’m there now and about to drive into the city centre tomorrow for shopping... just wondering about the 2.2 metre van in the city? Cheers

In the city all the car parks have height restrictions, unless they are small and not registered on Google.
There is a shopping centre just outside the city which has no issues. That was our back up.
Luckily we found a small side street with a phone to pay system. The system doesn't work with non Irish plate, after chatting to a parking warden they have no power to issue or pursue with fine for vehicles out or if their constituency. He told us to enjoy the free parking.

How did you get on @GeordieVanJam?
Cheers for the advice... We settled on the Black Ash park and ride - height restriction of 2.1 metres but the van is around the 2 meter mark (was getting myself all confused about adding inches for pop top to meters for van). Really nice day in Cork but not my favourite part of Ireland so far, although the English Market was great and the bar we had lunch in was pretty cool too... I think it’d be much better without a toddler in tow! We much preferred Killarney and the Ring of Kerry.

Cheers for the advice... We settled on the Black Ash park and ride - height restriction of 2.1 metres but the van is around the 2 meter mark (was getting myself all confused about adding inches for pop top to meters for van). Really nice day in Cork but not my favourite part of Ireland so far, although the English Market was great and the bar we had lunch in was pretty cool too... I think it’d be much better without a toddler in tow! We much preferred Killarney and the Ring of Kerry.
Some scary fellas in Ireland!

DA91F155-F7BA-4E1D-B384-419D5B83373E.jpeg

Looks great.
We have just booked the Holyhead to Dublin crossing for Sept.
Intention is to head for some friends in Donegal and go from there.
:whistle::cool:
That was our route over but we stopped a bit further south of Donegal. I wanted to go there but it would have limited the time round the WAW. The whole country was ace. I’d just say either careful what time you come of the ferry through the M50 tunnel (we got stung with a €10 charge followed by another €3:30ish charge later on another stretch of motorway before we’d left Dublin... or set satnav to avoid tolls - we didn’t realise at first but on the way to Achill Island, it estimated €40 total toll charges so beware that one...

Currently off on a 10 day break to Ireland and looking at doing the Wild Atlantic Way (mostly West and South West coast)
Thought id start a little thread containing a daily update to help/encourage others and also allow others to add hint tips and advice as we go along.

Got the van ready during the week and even had enough time to do a quick stop at the local weight bridge, with everything packed, water, bedding, clothes, food, bikes and half a tank of fuel she weighs in at 2.66 tonnes so a T28 would be close.

Set of this morning at 0630 from Hereford heading to Holyhead.
View attachment 24314
Caught the 1130 ferry to Dublin. Off the ferry and headed straight for the Guinness factory for a tour.

Can anyone spot the van in this photo? View from floor 7 the bar with 360 degrees of views over Dublin.
View attachment 24316
Stayed 20mins away from the Guinness factory at a campsite called Camac Valley. one touring van, hook up, 2 adults, one night 30euros. The campers themselves were a mixture of nationalities and all kept themselves to themselves. You aren't allocated a plot by staff you just look and see what's available as you drive around.
Free wifi all over the park.

van is fantastically simple to set up and the beers were out within 15 mins of arrival as all jobs were complete (awning, thermal screen, water, hook up etc.)
View attachment 24315
Tomorrow is a drive across Ireland to Galway were we will pick up the WAW and start heading south. No idea where camp is tomorrow but we shall see. beauty of the van...

Todays question:
1. Kenwood headunit with Garmin nav built in, How do you enter Irish post codes? The ones I enter are apparently too long, I have European maps loaded. The maps know all the speed limits and road names just doesn't recognise post codes, searching street names only brings up ones in the UK.
We went to the same campsite at the start of our journey and found it quite nice... €5 bus into Dublin for us and the bairn.

We're already thinking of doing it again in a few years time. But in the opposite direction. The same but different. We also still have the north to do. The weather helps but it's such a fantastic place.
We’re defo doing it again in a few years... such a nice place. Possibly beats Holland into second place (mainly because of the frikkin European mosquitoes!)

That was our route over but we stopped a bit further south of Donegal. I wanted to go there but it would have limited the time round the WAW. The whole country was ace. I’d just say either careful what time you come of the ferry through the M50 tunnel (we got stung with a €10 charge followed by another €3:30ish charge later on another stretch of motorway before we’d left Dublin... or set satnav to avoid tolls - we didn’t realise at first but on the way to Achill Island, it estimated €40 total toll charges so beware that one...

Will take heed of that - many thanks
:thumbsup:

Gavandi, if you head along the WAW from Donegal Town, heading west and north, you really cant go wrong.

just make sure you have Euros as cash machines can be limited unless in the larger towns

check out http://www.govisitdonegal.com/events for bits & pieces that are on during Sept.

Thanks for that.
Have booked ferry to Dublin and bought the book as usual.
Looking forward to it.

" there's no such thing as bad weather, - its just a bad choice of clothing!!"
:mexican wave:

Reactions: DXX
Great trip report @Ed Webb . We are planning on taking our newly converted van around NI in November time. I'm surprised by the cost of the ferries £250+ but I guess that's the norm?

Great trip report @Ed Webb . We are planning on taking our newly converted van around NI in November time. I'm surprised by the cost of the ferries £250+ but I guess that's the norm?
The North is on our to do list. I’d be keen to hear about your experience with any tips welcomed.
Our ferries worked out about £160 each way due to times and days we wanted to sail.

The North is on our to do list. I’d be keen to hear about your experience with any tips welcomed.
Our ferries worked out about £160 each way due to times and days we wanted to sail.
Night sailing is the best chance finding we had... booked on the Dublin Swift and sailing was cancelled so we did night sailing and had club class lounge pretty much to ourselves... club classs was a treat n all.

Just back from the WAW - Northern half.
Ferry crossings both ways were ace - few time changes but given plenty of notice by Irish Ferries. £320 return from Holyhead to Dublin.
Drove North West from Dublin - (set sat nav for Ireland and no tolls) - bit back streetish but got out of Dublin easy.
First stopover at Dungannon (NI) - council ran site but great pitch and facilities.
Then, met some Irish friends in Letterkenny to stock up on food and bevs! Great gin in Ireland!!
1st stop was a wee town called…… "Muff" - TOH thinks i'm so childish!! Through Moville and to the most Northerly point - Malin Head.
Second night at Clonmany - just off the beach at Binnion Bay (Basic but sound!) Sun shone so always looks better!
Next day drove out to Fannad Head and did the lighthouse tour - great views and lots of Navy history/wrecks.
Camped that night behind a pub - "The Singing Pub" near Downies - 5 Euros for EHU plus a meal and beers in pub - bargain and great food.
Pub toilet opened at 8am next day so good planning needed …. and nature!
Irish rain most of that day so drove up to Horn Head for spectacular views......Not … Cloud cover lower that our ankles! Probably would have been great!
Next night camped on friends drive near Derrybeg - cheated a bit but great shower etc!
This coastline was fabulous and could spend a few weeks up and down this area.
Onto to Ardara/Slieve Liag- Cliffs/ Killybegs ( great campsite).
Next day Donegal / Ballyshannon - (great campsite).
Next day drove out to Mullaghmore Head - where Lord Mountbatten was killed.
Headed back inland for return journey and stopped at Biernies Pub at Battlebridge, Nr Leitrim for a great meal and pub craic!
Bad last night at a "Park4Night" stop before ferry!! - wont do that again!!

Pics to follow

Nice little write up @Gavandi, glad you had a great time over there.
As I've said before we still have the north left to do, probably in a few years time.
Some good looking photos there too.

Back