Cambee Conversions

Long tall John

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just want to give a big shout out to Cambee in South Devon who have just kitted out our van to a fantastic standard. We started with a Highline panel van with 2 front swivel seats factory fitted and left the rest to them. They do four different basic designs but have done quite a few one-off bespoke designs for people with specific requirements. We chose to go with their CLASSIC design with a couple of changes to suit us and now we have everything we wanted for the van.

They are not the cheapest Converters around but you definitely get the quality you want throughout. All the furniture is designed and built by them and they have pretty much perfected their design over the years, of their units, lockers, and rock and roll beds which are all user-friendly and have quality and style in mind.

Anyway, this is what we bought:
Screenshot_20200213-225834_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200213-225743_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200213-225726_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200213-225717_Gallery.jpg

And this is what we ended up with:
Screenshot_20200213-225949_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200213-230001_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200213-225949_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200213-225923_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200213-230017_Gallery.jpg

Kitchen units
Love them to bits. Layout and equipment you just can't fault. As I'm 6-foot 3 with bad lower back, I wanted the driving seat to be as far back as possible and they offered to reduce the length of the kitchen units by 4 inches... might not seem much but it has made all the difference when driving for me and makes it easy to swivel and sit in when turned round.
20200214_131342.jpg

They use their own design for the sliding doors and locks on the cabinets and we can't fault them. They all run smoothly, feel reliable and they don't rattle.

118 bed
The two-seater (M1 tested) bench with seat belts which they completely designed themselves, reclines to a decent size bed in literally seconds and takes just as long to revert back to the bench. We have bought a mattress topper just to make it more comfortable to sleep on which just rolls up with the bedding to store on the large rear shelf. There's lots of room back there, and this rear shelf also just pulls out of the van in seconds for storing at home. The table is stored neatly behind the bench when in an upright right position and it's easy peasy to put up and store away.

There's a very large sliding drawer under the 118 bench/bed
On runners which can be taken out if needed for surfboards or whatever. There are no annoying metal legs to get in the way under there. We are VERY impressed with the bed design.
20200214_131515.jpg

Electrics
We were keen to use lithium batteries which Cambee hadn't fitted before and we are so glad we did. We've just spent four days off grid and still had juice left in the leisure battery without charging it up once.

As we are the sort to do lots of off-grid/wild camping there were a couple of things we didn't go with such as electric hook-up or pop top as they just wouldn't be used much by us but they supply both SCA and Remo.

Headliner
As we weren't having a pop top fitted we asked Cambee if they would fit an oak one which we had seen elsewhere, and after we had stained and waxed it Cambee fitted the LED lights and made it fit their cupboard design.
20200214_131323.jpg

The whole team at Cambee have been so easy to deal with but are always professional on the business side of things and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend them or use them again so a big shout out to the whole of the Cambee team :thumbsup:

Screenshot_20200213-225743_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200213-230010_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
So sad it looks like Cambee have gone into liquidation.
Now that is both a surprise and a real shame. They did a cracking job on my van in 2021, and were stacked out with work at the time for months ahead.

So sad it looks like Cambee have gone into liquidation.
Gutted for them, had my panel van converted, picked it up Sept 21, it’s been faultless, superb build quality, and like you said they had a healthy order book so not sure what happened, it’s a strange world

Another satisfied Cambee customer here. I actually emailed them earlier this year and it bounced back saying they'd gone out of business. I waited 7 months for a build slot and when I went to pick-up the garage was rammed with vans and ongoing work. That was August '21. Shames because the team were great, they even saved money by telling me a pop-top was not going to add any functional value based on what I use my van for. Most would've sold me it reagrdless.

Back