Wild Atlantic Way Ireland Break.

@richi your wish shall be granted.

Annoyingly the really nice looking campsite we were after for tonight is rammed, in fact every campsite is rammed so we've found ourselves in the 'dead caravan dumping ground' of a site near the beach. its not that bad but wifi is non existent so will upload extra photos from the phone later.
the campsite we are at is called Glenbeg in Caherdaniel and does have some great reviews on trip adviser, if we were part of the main site we would also agree. prices reflect these reviews and the van is 26 euro + 4euro for hook up + 3 for the Fiamma, bit of haggling and we got the Fiamma for free. Showers are snazzy and worth the 1.5euro.
we were going to wild camp whilst out here but with it being so hot we've appreciated the out the way locations to chill and shower facilities to cool and clean.
20180628_172555.jpg
Today was loaded with tons of nice views. I snuck in a Monkey Monday photo shoot despite it being Thursday. Keeping those photos back so that I can post them on the appropriate day.
Here is a monkeyless photo
20180628_095643.jpg
Bought some chocolate filled with gin which has been half eaten by myself already and found a random chocolate factory in the middle of Skellig. Smelt amazing. The chilled glove box from my lower comfort dash mod either doesn't work properly or the temps are too high for it to be effective.

Whilst consulting the map, which is this one:
The Wild Atlantic Way Route Atlas - Xploreit (Xploreit Maps) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0955265568/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_11qnBb1601WEQ
We worked out that to complete the rest of the route in the time we have here we are unable to stay anywhere for two nights. we aim to be near Cork for Sunday as that allows us to explore Cork and get across to Rosslare for Monday evening ready for the early sailing Tuesday.

During the day had another trip up a mountain pass
20180628_095042.jpg
20180628_133907.jpg
More coastal views
IMG-20180628-WA0029.jpg
Tomorrow we are hoping to get to Bantry with lunch at Dursey Island. For the sympathetic amongst you the antibiotics are working well, although driving up and down the mountain passes aren't too pleasant on the middle ear pressure thing.

IMG-20180628-WA0016.jpg

Fantastic pics. I need to add this run to my ever growing list of trip.
We're already thinking of doing it again in a few years time. But in the opposite direction. The same but different. We also still have the north to do. The weather helps but it's such a fantastic place.

That act wont work on me, I've met you, you're too nice not to care, you're just trying to appear macho in front of your friends. ;)
Get off the stage pal..appear.. ye'old stretch was going to ask but you beat him to it in that post.. so you upset him..

Glad the pills worked.. now get on with it..

You are an inspiration Ed,I was supposed to be starting my holiday in August but they are now starting today :D

Today was the best day I've had behind the wheel of the van as we tackled the Ring of Beara. And yes, I've done most the driving for a few reasons. The main one being I'm a bad passenger, or so I'm told. however I really enjoy driving and a contributing factor to being a bad passenger might be because, if the OH was to drive and something to go wrong she either wouldn't notice or would have no idea what happened. not helpful when miles away from home with limited tools and knowledge. we've done some very narrow roads and passing coaches with cm to spare. its better if I drive and then I know what when wrong and that will help with trying to fix it.
Anyway that's my driving justification sorted.

An example of something broken was this:
20180610_144038.jpg
The electrics stopped working but only on the stuff Bodans had done. Slightly baffled after all fuses seemed intact I was annoyed but pleased to see it was just some bad crimp work. These two cables should never have been crimped together. luckily I planned on doing some wiring whilst away and had spare crimps and the crimp tool with me, other wise that could have been a real ball ache.

Anyway as previously mentioned today was the Ring of Beara. My literacy wont do this justice so I shall spend the evening uploading pictures. but here is a link to the route. well worth doing on its own.
https://www.odonnabhain-kenmare.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Ring-of-Beara-O-Donnabhains.jpeg
Also crabbed some Fresh fish and chips on Dursey Island, Fish apparently travelled 500m from harbour to the fryer and arrived about an hour before we did. Chips were shite!
IMG-20180629-WA0017.jpg
Staying at a campsite called Eagle Point near Bantry, this site is on bar with the one near Doolin that we used towards the start of our trip. The only thing edging this is the fact its 10m from van to sea.
20180629_161115.jpg
Sods law I cant find a snorkel to buy anywhere so that's on the amazon wish list and will become a van staple for future trips.

I was going to add that on the vast majority of these roads the 102 euro5 engine has been brilliant in regards to output. We've been getting about 35mpg with a fully loaded camper on some demanding roads with loads of stops and starts and the AC on flat out.
Its only been in the hills that there has been a lack of power but nothing to cause any issues.
I've mentioned previously in the thread about researching suspension mods for the back end and will also look at a remap at a later date but nothing urgent.
upon return I will have a few slow burning projects.
Considering since getting the van and having it converted we've only done Bala and this trip we are both really impressed with the van as a whole.

Today has been a very chilled one and sadly I have no photos to add.
Had a lie in until about 7 after that the pop top becomes so hot with this sun beating down on the roof and quickly becomes uncomfortable.
Midmorning we took a walk to the village café which is seen as a haven for local, homemade, homegrown produce. Bakewell tart washed down by a flatwhite and then slowly walked back to the van. After lunch we gave the van a tidy up and sort out based on what we thought would be useful after these last few days in the van.
Went for a swim in the sea.
Tomorrow we are looking to get through to Cork and tick off this session of the WAW. The OH bought a handbag for her sisters birthday however really likes it herself, as a result we now have to go shopping on Monday to find a replacement so the she can keep the handbag and her sister never has to know.

I'm sure I shall have a more interesting post for you all tomorrow.

until then here is a picture of a jellyfish
20180629_205326.jpg

Back