Wild Atlantic Way Ireland Break.

Ed Webb

Webber
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Currently off on a 10 day break to Ireland and looking at doing the Wild Atlantic Way (mostly West and South West coast)
Thought id start a little thread containing a daily update to help/encourage others and also allow others to add hint tips and advice as we go along.

Got the van ready during the week and even had enough time to do a quick stop at the local weight bridge, with everything packed, water, bedding, clothes, food, bikes and half a tank of fuel she weighs in at 2.66 tonnes so a T28 would be close.

Set of this morning at 0630 from Hereford heading to Holyhead.
20180623_081947.jpg
Caught the 1130 ferry to Dublin. Off the ferry and headed straight for the Guinness factory for a tour.

Can anyone spot the van in this photo? View from floor 7 the bar with 360 degrees of views over Dublin.
20180623_153146.jpg
Stayed 20mins away from the Guinness factory at a campsite called Camac Valley. one touring van, hook up, 2 adults, one night 30euros. The campers themselves were a mixture of nationalities and all kept themselves to themselves. You aren't allocated a plot by staff you just look and see what's available as you drive around.
Free wifi all over the park.

van is fantastically simple to set up and the beers were out within 15 mins of arrival as all jobs were complete (awning, thermal screen, water, hook up etc.)
20180623_175356.jpg
Tomorrow is a drive across Ireland to Galway were we will pick up the WAW and start heading south. No idea where camp is tomorrow but we shall see. beauty of the van...

Todays question:
1. Kenwood headunit with Garmin nav built in, How do you enter Irish post codes? The ones I enter are apparently too long, I have European maps loaded. The maps know all the speed limits and road names just doesn't recognise post codes, searching street names only brings up ones in the UK.

I have a garmin sat nav and I have to manually change the country in settings:thumbsup:

I have a garmin sat nav and I have to manually change the country in settings:thumbsup:
So two things I've learnt today one potentially more obvious than the other.....
1. Thanks to @richi I'm now aware you have to change a satnav location when you change country. now sorted :thumbsup:
2. Ireland don't have postcodes except Dublin but again they are more sectors rather than streets. When using a satnav you can either use coordinates downloaded from online or search using street and town names.

Currently off on a 10 day break to Ireland and looking at doing the Wild Atlantic Way (mostly West and South West coast)
Thought id start a little thread containing a daily update to help/encourage others and also allow others to add hint tips and advice as we go along.

Got the van ready during the week and even had enough time to do a quick stop at the local weight bridge, with everything packed, water, bedding, clothes, food, bikes and half a tank of fuel she weighs in at 2.66 tonnes so a T28 would be close.

Set of this morning at 0630 from Hereford heading to Holyhead.
View attachment 24314
Caught the 1130 ferry to Dublin. Off the ferry and headed straight for the Guinness factory for a tour.

Can anyone spot the van in this photo? View from floor 7 the bar with 360 degrees of views over Dublin.
View attachment 24316
Stayed 20mins away from the Guinness factory at a campsite called Camac Valley. one touring van, hook up, 2 adults, one night 30euros. The campers themselves were a mixture of nationalities and all kept themselves to themselves. You aren't allocated a plot by staff you just look and see what's available as you drive around.
Free wifi all over the park.

van is fantastically simple to set up and the beers were out within 15 mins of arrival as all jobs were complete (awning, thermal screen, water, hook up etc.)
View attachment 24315
Tomorrow is a drive across Ireland to Galway were we will pick up the WAW and start heading south. No idea where camp is tomorrow but we shall see. beauty of the van...

Todays question:
1. Kenwood headunit with Garmin nav built in, How do you enter Irish post codes? The ones I enter are apparently too long, I have European maps loaded. The maps know all the speed limits and road names just doesn't recognise post codes, searching street names only brings up ones in the UK.
It’s like a cool game if where’s wally. I’ve spotted him!
Have a great holiday the pair of you, sounds idyllic. Keep us posted:thumbsup:.

It’s like a cool game if where’s wally. I’ve spotted him!
Have a great holiday the pair of you, sounds idyllic. Keep us posted:thumbsup:.
Well seeming as you enjoyed the last one let's see if you can spot wally.
20180624_170229.jpg
Not much today just 5 hours spent travelling from Dublin to Doolin via Galway for an awesome lunch. This campsite will be home for 2 nights as we want to spend a bit of time out of the van. Will get the bikes out tomorrow and ride to the Cliffs of Moher and earn those evening beers.

Here's a few shots of camp and our set up.
20180624_194132.jpg
20180624_183937.jpg

@Ed Webb Is that endpiece for the awning an official part or homemade? The windbreak/end sheets that I've found online seem to stop halfway down to the ground.

@Ed Webb Is that endpiece for the awning an official part or homemade? The windbreak/end sheets that I've found online seem to stop halfway down to the ground.
It's an idea I stole from @Loz when I saw his at Bala. I bought mine from Just kampers. About £40. 2.4m wide has a 4mm and 6mm bead. Really couldn't ask for better weather, sunny, little wind and not too hot.

It's an idea I stole from @Loz when I saw his at Bala. I bought mine from Just kampers. About £40. 2.4m wide has a 4mm and 6mm bead. Really couldn't ask for better weather, sunny, little wind and not too hot.
Perfect, found it thanks :thumbsup:

Today has been an entirely different day, I've had a sensitive tooth for months and doesn't cause me issues unless I bite ice cream.
Sadly today I woke up with an ear ache from hell and my sensitive tooth is agony to eat with or even bite my teeth together.
Managed to book an appointment at a local surgery for tomorrow but will cost 45euro. Worth it!
Today's lesson: despite the NHS England website saying you don't need an E111 card in Ireland it turns out you do or at least at this surgery, with that my appointment would be free.

Despite that we got on the bikes and rode the 9km to the Cliffs of Moher. Stunning place but very busy. Counted 23 coaches.
(Picture to follow, having up load issues)

Tomorrow's plan is head to Doc in morning and hopefully get some magic tablets and continue our way down the WAW to Loop Head Light House. This is said to be idilic and quieter than the Cliffs of Moher
We did find the approach of having 2 nights at the same site and using the full day to bike places is much nicer than driving, the car parks and roads can get blocked by cars and coaches.

Should have just told the good lady to sock you in the mush. That’d be cheaper, and if she’d filmed it and done it in an amusing way, you could have been £250 up.
Something like tying your tooth to the poptop hinge whilst you are sitting up top, then pushing you over the edge.
Even if you didn’t get £250, it’d give all of us a good laugh.
Rub that medicinal Jack Daniels into your gums:thumbsup:.

@Ed Webb

How far North are you going?
We just spent 4 great nights in Brittany wit an Irish couple from Donnegal.
That's quite far up the West Coast.

Looks great and hope face/tooth/jaw gets better

@Ed Webb

How far North are you going?
We just spent 4 great nights in Brittany wit an Irish couple from Donnegal.
That's quite far up the West Coast.

Looks great and hope face/tooth/jaw gets better
We're heading south, went across to Galway and gone south from there.
Lovely place.

If you are heading as far North as the Wild Atlantic Way in County Donegal , make sure and go via Buncrana and the peninsula, Kinnego Bay etc, a few lovely little beaches you will have entirely to yourself

Lovely the thread Ed.. very inspirational.. awesome pics.

Don't think you can get MTFU pill's over counter??. DB would be very interested if you or anyone finds some..

Back