wifi-connection workaround for mobile tethering to Android

Joey7415963

Not sure if this is of any help to anyone...

I love the idea of being able to access Internet radio, etc, but absolutely refuse to pay the hideous price of the mobile data package offered by VW.

On android (I'm sure there's others for ios) I've installed an app called Carspot ready, it turns on WiFi tethering when it detects a certain Bluetooth connection, then turns it off when it disconnects.

This means when I start the car the Bluetooth automatically connects, this then turns on tethering and the van connects to the phone's WiFi hot-spot. When I leave the van the Bluetooth disconnects and the app then turns off the hot-spot.

All the connectivity with no nasty data package bills!

Hope this helps

Not sure if this is of any help to anyone...

I love the idea of being able to access Internet radio, etc, but absolutely refuse to pay the hideous price of the mobile data package offered by VW.

On android (I'm sure there's others for ios) I've installed an app called Carspot ready, it turns on WiFi tethering when it detects a certain Bluetooth connection, then turns it off when it disconnects.

This means when I start the car the Bluetooth automatically connects, this then turns on tethering and the van connects to the phone's WiFi hot-spot. When I leave the van the Bluetooth disconnects and the app then turns off the hot-spot.

All the connectivity with no nasty data package bills!

Hope this helps
I'm away from my van so..... does this also work for the live traffic and the sat nav POI search functions ?

You don’t need to do this if you have an iPhone, just install an internet radio app and use it through CarPlay, it’ll connect with your phone sim without having to set up a hotspot.
And what’s better @JOG is that you might find the radio station is in the Music app itself, which means seamless playback control.

Sometimes, one has to pay their tw@t tax and it would appear that my bill has landed!

I completely misread and therefore misunderstood the original post. (Phone auto connect to onboard Wi-Fi broadcast at ignition on rather than broadcasting from phone as hotspot!)

For those with iPhone yeh just use wireless carplay. With android though you still have to plug in, so saves the hassle.

Maybe I’m being daft, but with an iPhone I still have to tether

I have seen dongles I could hang from the USB port and have my phone wirelessly connect to that ....but I’d also lose charging

Mine is a T6 with Kenwood wireless Carplay and wireless charging but it would work fine with wired. You want it plugged in while you're driving anyway to keep it fully charged.

Back