Hi,
I am looking for a company near Brighton (Sussex) to carry out a conversion of my T6 SWB panel van into a Kombi so I can use my work van for a little more family use at the weekends. Are there any companies around the Sussex area people could recommend or have any experience with?

Any pointers would be great. I've already been looking through the list on compairthecampervan site but any recommendations would be great to know
Did you find a company?

On the website there are two companies that come up within 50 miles of Brighton that offer a 3-year warranty:

Thanks, David

Hi, I've booked my t6 in to a company call oxcampers in baydon. Has any one got any reviews for them as the only ones I can find and for there camper hire part of ghe business??

Hi, I've booked my t6 in to a company call oxcampers in baydon. Has any one got any reviews for them as the only ones I can find and for there camper hire part of ghe business??
Probably best to ask for reviews before checking your van in. I’ve never heard of them but they’ve been listed on Companies House for a good few years, business is renting and leasing cars and light motor vehicles.

Probably best to ask for reviews before checking your van in. I’ve never heard of them but they’ve been listed on Companies House for a good few years, business is renting and leasing cars and light motor vehicles.
Thanks very much
If any has heard of them please let me know

If the waiting time for a conversion is less than 4 months start asking more questions.

So having read a few horror stories about converters , where would you guys send if location not an issue, when the time finally comes for a conversion then I would be more than happy to travel for it to be right, I wouldn't look for the full conversion more so for a pop tip, sliding bed

@Bensalvage

Try Brandon @AJCConversions in Glossop.

His team completed my LWB conversion in 2019.
My build thread:

Easy to talk to on the phone.
Keeps you up to date re progress and genuinely puts you, as a paying customer 1st.
He will also be trading at Busfest, which is fast coming up on 8th/9th/10th Sept, showing off a currently completed Crafter build.

Last edited:
I had the same attitude as you regarding location and chose a converter almost 250 miles away. I now have my converted van, but I also have a snagging list and the prospect of two 500-mile round trips to drop-off and pick-up my van in order for these issues to be rectified. As my wife doesn't drive long distances, I will also need to hire a car for each of the van-less legs of that journey.

I haven't yet had the conversation with the converter as to who will be footing the bill for these journeys, but even if they agree to cover all of my the costs, that's still 2 days out of my schedule, with 9+ hours of driving for each of those 2 days.

Just something to consider if you're thinking of choosing a converter that isn't even slightly local.

@Bav That's a very good point and tbh does make you think is it worth it, such a mine field, probably why people choose a cali
There's obviously a balance between travelling to get to a decent converter and staying as local as possible. I'm not sure I got that balance right, but I'll reserve judgement on that until after my snags have been resolved and I'm feeling better about my camper.

EDIT: Also, IMO a Cali has limitations conversion-wise - the electrical system isn't up to much, you can't get a LWB version and it's unlikely that the guy in Wolfsburg designed the layout to meet your exact use-case.

Last edited:
I would agree that distance should be a consideration.

We love our van conversion. However despite best efforts all round it hasn’t been without issues that have needed to be resolved. This was all undertaken by the converter, as well as other upgrades, but it needs to go back to their works.

For us it’s about 70 miles mainly motorway to their works so bearable. But it would be annoying if it were a long journey.

Reactions: Bav
So having read a few horror stories about converters , where would you guys send if location not an issue, when the time finally comes for a conversion then I would be more than happy to travel for it to be right, I wouldn't look for the full conversion more so for a pop tip, sliding bed
If just pop top Westdubs are a good company with a solid product. They have an excellent fitting team and aftersales is second to none !

Hi All
Could anyone recommend a premier converter in Suffolk please or the best one nearest. I'm 61 years old and new to this.
Thank you in advance.
Gary

Hi All
Could anyone recommend a premier converter in Suffolk please or the best one nearest. I'm 61 years old and new to this.
Thank you in advance.
Gary
Cambridge Campervans (based in Ely) are not too far from you and are excellent, both in terms of their vans and service

I agree with @oldiebut goodie that distance shouldn't be your primary criteria, but it needs to be a consideration. I chose a converter 4.5 hours/235 miles away and, whilst I'm very happy with my choice, yesterday I had to do that round trip to drop my van off for some upgrades/snagging. Given that I'll also have to repeat that trip next week to pick my van back up, that'll be almost 20 hours/1000 miles of driving. Just something to bear in mind.

Reactions: CAB
Back