czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Thought it might be useful to build up some detail on the more established campervan conversion companies to both help me and potentially others.

Firstly I will be upfront and say while I have ordered my van (T32 LWB) I have not yet established which converter or converters I want to use. Realistically, I have a budget of £20-25k and want the usual type of set-up – side kitchen, heater, Reimo Variotech 3000 track/bed/seat system (120cm width), etc, etc. but am struggling with the decision.

I have done the usual google searches and visited the NEC show twice and what I found is there are a lot of conversion companies out there – ranging from ‘off the shelf’ ready-made camper companies (ready converted vans) to those offering a truly bespoke service. One thing to note - each converter thinks their method and the products they source are the best…

Below are eight companies whose conversions I have seen in person, either at the shows or at their workshops, and some initial thoughts.
  • Exploria (https://www.exploria-online.co.uk)
    • Have been to their workshop and it is impressive and the staff are knowledgeable. They are on the pricier side of the conversion business and definitely worth considering depending on your budget. Had the best AV set-up that I have seen thus far.
  • CMC - Concept Multi Car (http://conceptmulti-car.co.uk)
    • Family run business and an official Remio distributor. Again knowledgeable but perhaps not the most adventurous in terms of design. They seem to like to play it safe.
  • New Wave (http://www.newwavecustomconversions.co.uk)
    • Have spoken to them on a couple of occasions but they do not do walk-in visits to their garage/ facility. Was told that they had some sales people once but they prefer just to get on with it and seem to get new custom by word of mouth. Seem happy to talk to you but once you are ready to sign up with a deposit. Have exchanged messages with a few people that have used them and they seem very happy.
  • Hillside Leisure (https://www.hillsideleisure.co.uk)
    • Have seen them at the NEC and they seem to offer a good quality service but are a little fixed in what they offer.
  • Ecowagon (https://www.ecowagon.co.uk)
    • Again, think I have seen them at the NEC and they look to offer a good service.
  • Van Worx (http://vanworx.co.uk)
    • Have been down to there workshop in Portland and its a very professional setup. Again seem to come out on the pricier side of things but are, I believe, recognised by VW.
  • VW-T (https://www.vw-t.co.uk)
    • Have been to their workshop a couple of times, as they are probably the most local to me (can get there inside of an hour). They seem knowledgeable and willing to try new things. not keen on their kitchen cupboards.
  • Three Bridge (https://www.threebridge.co.uk)
    • Saw these guys at the show and have been to their workshop. A nice bunch and their show van was very nice. Good selection of cupboard designs gain a little pricey.
--

Haven’t spoken to the below yet but they were recommended by a well know Audio company on here. They complimented their attention to detail.
--

Anyway, it would be great to get some reviews on any of the above/or others together with some photos of their work, if you want to show off your van :).

Many thanks in advance.

CZ.

Looking at Sherwood Converters. Wedsite looks impressive, thinking of planning a visit.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Thought I would link to where I have found some comments on converters, to try and make this thread useful.

New Wave
https://www.t6forum.com/threads/new-wave-conversion.11218/
New Wave Custom Conversions

--

EcoWagon
https://www.t6forum.com/threads/ecowagon.2643/

--

Three Bridge (mentioned by Carndearg)
VanWorx (mentioned by VWRuby)
UberBus (mentioned by GooatBoater)
Camper conversion company recommendations please

--

VanWorx
My Vanworx camper - I'm in love !!
Fridge covered to match

--
A few different converters mentioned in this post
Bilbos (mentioned by Nigel W)
Dirty Weekender (mentioned by Dilbert)
Hillside (mentioned by Davenjo)
CMC (mentioned by MarkyMark)
Three Bridge (mentioned by Carndearg)
UberBus (mentioned by GooatBoater)
Jerba Campervans (mentioned by Mavis)
Conversion Companies

--

The following thread has some good comments and mentions:
EcoWagon (mentioned by Gingercoastie and Overmoor)
UberBus (mentioned by Chopman)
Mal VW (mentioned by DaveJo and DeeJossi)
Exploria (Mentioned by Mike B and MoparDave)
AJC Conversions (mentioned by Jay586)
Rolling Homes (mentioned by Gavandi)
VanWorx (mentioned by Bus 4 Jas)
Recommend me a conversion company

--

Experience based review of a customer and converter - it is now, understandably a closed thread.
General review - good for context when looking for a convertor

--
Busfest 6th - 8th September 2019 (Busfest Homepage)
Three Counties Showground, Malvern, WR13 6NW

Attendance of this seems to be a must and seems to be recommended by everyone!

I had hoped to have my conversion booked in before this but perhaps not...

Last edited by a moderator:
I should mention Venture Campers on the A5 at Daventry. However, they tend to build their own vans so not sure about taking s van to them and they can do more or less anything but I think outside of their own brands they might be pricey, HOWEVER, the builders are the remnants of Fairline boats when it went bust so their workmanship is excellent.

I used these just before Christmas last year, well pleased with them and no job too much for them.

Unit 3, Knight's custom conversions LTD, 5 Seas End Rd, Spalding PE12 6LD

Exploria review

I have spent something like £22K (so far!) with Exploria converting my panel van into a day van/camper. I have a pop-top, low-level side furniture that forms a full width bed when used with the California 2-seat bench, insulation & lining, a leisure battery & the necessary electronics to keep it charged along with a fridge and an eye-wateringly expensive inverter. The seats have also all been re-trimmed in leather/alcantara.

I can’t fault the quality of the workmanship (though I have no experience of other conversions), and I am very happy with my layout for which some credit must go to my contact at Exploria, though I did go there with a pretty good idea of what I wanted. However, I do think that they are somewhat lacking in the later customer interface area. Having delivered a brand new, delivery mileage van to them for conversion, I was obviously very keen to keep track of progress. But I had to constantly pester them for updates and, in particular, photos. Surely it doesn’t take much to send a series of photos each week to the customer? When I did receive photos, it was only about 1 or 2 at a most, and went nowhere near to satisfying my desire for details. In the 5 weeks or so that they had my van, I only received 6 photos.

There have been several instances where I have discussed my requirements, thought we had everything agreed and then left them to it, only to discover they haven’t quite done what I expected – and it always costs more to achieve my final goal. In fact, I would say that they are quite poor in managing their customers’ expectations.

What would I do differently? Spend more time discussing the actual requirements (this may well take several visits for a bespoke layout etc.) and take notes detailing my expectations with a copy left with the converter.

Exploria review

I have spent something like £22K (so far!) with Exploria converting my panel van into a day van/camper. I have a pop-top, low-level side furniture that forms a full width bed when used with the California 2-seat bench, insulation & lining, a leisure battery & the necessary electronics to keep it charged along with a fridge and an eye-wateringly expensive inverter. The seats have also all been re-trimmed in leather/alcantara.

I can’t fault the quality of the workmanship (though I have no experience of other conversions), and I am very happy with my layout for which some credit must go to my contact at Exploria, though I did go there with a pretty good idea of what I wanted. However, I do think that they are somewhat lacking in the later customer interface area. Having delivered a brand new, delivery mileage van to them for conversion, I was obviously very keen to keep track of progress. But I had to constantly pester them for updates and, in particular, photos. Surely it doesn’t take much to send a series of photos each week to the customer? When I did receive photos, it was only about 1 or 2 at a most, and went nowhere near to satisfying my desire for details. In the 5 weeks or so that they had my van, I only received 6 photos.

There have been several instances where I have discussed my requirements, thought we had everything agreed and then left them to it, only to discover they haven’t quite done what I expected – and it always costs more to achieve my final goal. In fact, I would say that they are quite poor in managing their customers’ expectations.

What would I do differently? Spend more time discussing the actual requirements (this may well take several visits for a bespoke layout etc.) and take notes detailing my expectations with a copy left with the converter.
Sound advice there, thank you for your review. Would be great if you could also share what photos you have. Have been up to the Exploria workshop (I'm from Kent) myself and they do seem a good bunch - although they do feel like the money is no object choice option... I quite liked there option of a fabric lining as opposed to the usual carpet lining that they offer...

Hi @czmate1999

Whilst I have not used them personally, other than to purchase a RIB off and fit myself. Home Page is a very meticulous guy and converts to a high spec. When you're paying this ammount of money, you want everything to be perfect, or atleast very good. All the little hidden things that you wont see. Check out his instagram feed and you will see. Hiding of wires, routing wires, proper electrical terminations.

Andy

Hi @czmate1999

Whilst I have not used them personally, other than to purchase a RIB off and fit myself. Home Page is a very meticulous guy and converts to a high spec. When you're paying this ammount of money, you want everything to be perfect, or atleast very good. All the little hidden things that you wont see. Check out his instagram feed and you will see. Hiding of wires, routing wires, proper electrical terminations.

Andy
Thanks Andy, will take a look at northshore custom conversions, http://www.northshorecustomconversions.co.uk/

Would be great if you could also share what photos you have.
Here are some photos:
As I initially received the van back, before I had stomped up the dosh for the California seat:
With the seat & upholstery finished:
With the table in place:
From the rear:
Overnight mode:
First camp at the Mini & VW Bus Meet:

Here are some photos:
As I initially received the van back, before I had stomped up the dosh for the California seat:
With the seat & upholstery finished:
With the table in place:
From the rear:
Overnight mode:
First camp at the Mini & VW Bus Meet:
Many thanks Shaun!

Roaming Homes in Inverness, highly recommend them due to their workmanship and flexibility around customers.

Any details on your feedback??
Our Elgin company have had staffing issues so have had to cancel us. We are hoping for a conversion in October.
We currently have a guy in Aboyne to go see tomorrow night but it would be good to have another option.
:)

Roaming Homes will do complete, part or anything you want. When I picked up my van it went straight round to them and they insulated and sound deadened it before fully carpeting with carpet and suede. Installed 2 extra speakers and set of LED lights. They put my roof rails and side bars on too. I’ve seen their crafter they installed, a great job.
They are really easy to talk to and discuss your needs with. My van was delayed twice and they shuffled their jobs to fit me in. My van will be going back to them for any further things I need.

Roaming Homes will do complete, part or anything you want. When I picked up my van it went straight round to them and they insulated and sound deadened it before fully carpeting with carpet and suede. Installed 2 extra speakers and set of LED lights. They put my roof rails and side bars on too. I’ve seen their crafter they installed, a great job.
They are really easy to talk to and discuss your needs with. My van was delayed twice and they shuffled their jobs to fit me in. My van will be going back to them for any further things I need.
Hey Paul,

Any photos?

Cheers,

CZ.

Back