Which? roof rails for a T6?

Just bought a T6, and then bought a pair of VW roof rails and just been sussing them out. The fixing kit contains 6 self adhesive neoprene washers which I conclude would provide the seal but I would be inclined to seal the bolt threads as well and loctite 577 springs to mind. You use it to seal metal to metal threads in plumbing & heating applications which often would be under 1 - 2 bar pressure so should stop rainwater. I agree it all looks a bit of an afterthought with the plastic spacers to fill the channel. Any comments appreciated (I'm a novice T6 owner and forum user!)

You definitely need to be sealing up the threads well @Rick243. The self adhesive rubber feet just are not up to the job. There have been many reports of water causing significant damage to the inside of the vans, and they have been traced back to the roof rails.

Evening all, just fitted my VW dealer sourced rails today, nice chap at Trafford Park dealer printed off a set of instructions with pictures - always helpful when running out of daylight and fingers going numb with cold.

I have to agree with most that the hard plastic “feet” aren’t the best and as I’ve read elsewhere I had to resort to using the angle grinder to chamfer one corner as it was just not going to sit flush.
I took general advice and added silicone to each bolt.

All else seems nice and solid and does enhance the overall look.

I’ll Post up some pics when I get some daylight.

Appreciate everyone’s advice .

I haven't got any roof rails but just the factory screws in the mountings. Has there been any reported leak issues with these? Is it worth sealing the threads just in case.

The issue seems to be when you remove these original roof bolts to put the rails on. I believe that every PV/ Kombi/ shuttle (maybe caravelle aswell) has these same bolts. The only folks who have discussed water leaks are those that have installed rails.

I haven't got any roof rails but just the factory screws in the mountings. Has there been any reported leak issues with these? Is it worth sealing the threads just in case.
Had rails on my velle it leaked like a good one, removed them and fitted the original bolts no more leaks :)

Evening all, just fitted my VW dealer sourced rails today, nice chap at Trafford Park dealer printed off a set of instructions with pictures - always helpful when running out of daylight and fingers going numb with cold.

I have to agree with most that the hard plastic “feet” aren’t the best and as I’ve read elsewhere I had to resort to using the angle grinder to chamfer one corner as it was just not going to sit flush.
I took general advice and added silicone to each bolt.

All else seems nice and solid and does enhance the overall look.

I’ll Post up some pics when I get some daylight.

Appreciate everyone’s advice .

Hi Chris any chance of a clear photo of the instructions they printed for you please

Check out the alternative (and better!) way of fixing these. I followed what others posted on the forum and it’s way better.

I did mine and zero leaks.

Last edited:
For leak free fixing try using Dowty Bonded Seals. For each fastening point; one between the rack and the body and one between the screw head and the rack. Available in metric sizes, preferably in 316 stainless steel or BZP if wanting to reduce cost. The nitrile seal will outlast silicone sealant, EPDM rubber and probably all the other sticky sh8t that gets used to keep the rain out.

The way the feet interact with the roof / seals just isn’t good though. The other way of using stud bar is much better in my opinion.

@Mk72 ,we bought our genuine omtec ones for £70ish from van demon on ebay although im pretty sure they have a website/shop also,hope this helps

@Mk72 ,we bought our genuine omtec ones for £70ish from van demon on ebay although im pretty sure they have a website/shop also,hope this helps
Thanks Martin, had a look they have rails but cross bars out of stock. I've sent a message to see when they are available.

With these roof rails being such a minefield when it comes to leaks and various ways of fitting them hopefully watertight...iv just had VW supply and fit mine, £140.00 all in.
Ok they may end up leaking but at least I can get them and the water damaged trim replaced under warranty. Is it worth the risk DIYing for 30 or 40 quid??
It seems to be the 1 mod on here that gives the most trouble...oh and the side windows, the B14s knocking.....

Do these rails have to fasten through the fibreglass if you have a poptop or do they mount to the metal either side of it? Trying to find a way not to have to upgrade to a bigger van and this could be a way, but not if they’re secured through the poptop as I just wouldn’t trust it would hold.

I don’t trust my local VW at all. I wouldn’t want the faff of them ripping all the interior out of my ‘Velle even if it was for free.

I know it’s done right by doing it myself. Plus it was pretty much half the price.

whatever works though eh!

Do these rails have to fasten through the fibreglass if you have a poptop or do they mount to the metal either side of it? Trying to find a way not to have to upgrade to a bigger van and this could be a way, but not if they’re secured through the poptop as I just wouldn’t trust it would hold.

These roof rails (made by Omtec) specifically fit using the factory mounting points set into the channels on each side of the roof. I suspect any pop-top covers these completely, so they aren’t suitable.

Pete

Back