Which Jump Starter?

It's fine..

No problem on an AGM..

An AGM is a type of SLA battery anyway..

Sealed lead acid.

can the Noco GB70 be connected to an Agm battery? .... from the instructions it seems to work only with lead acid batteries ...... is it true?
it will work with any 12v battery.

So AGM, EFB, SLA, GEL etc etc etc....
All the above are lead-acid batteries - just "technologies" inside but the basic components - lead electrodes + sulphuric acid + their chemical reactions are still the same on all of them.

I was just about to post the same. Getting myself one after a flat battery. Luckily I live near a garage but having read some posts it looks a must have tool for the box.

I bought a GB70 a while back and keep it one of the drawers in the Caravelle bed although it did fit,just,in the upper glove box of the comfort dash. Thankfully i have not had to use it on the van yet but did use it on our Qashqai and it worked a treat

For what it's worth, Halfords 4 in 1 jump starter pack has served me well for 4 years. It's big and bulky but for extra power whilst camping is a bonus. Paid for itself many times over.

Got asked for jump leads today. Christened my GB70 jump starting a VW Up, not much of a test but it was impressively quick at getting it up and running. Son was with me and very happy to have 'rescued' someone. nicw to be able to help someone out

GB70 started the neighbours Mini (old battery) easily this frosty morning.
So much easier than jump leads.

Pete

NOCO GB150 for the win . . . . . Again.

arrived at work at 7am . . . . double parked on a double yellow. . . . . .

so left the Hazards on and started unloading. . . . . .

6 hours later we had finished the job and had no ticket . . . . result i thought - free parking =] ( A rarity in London)

The Hazards were still flashing away, so in we jumped and went to start the van . . . . . Nothing !!! IT WAS DEAD AND DIDNT TURN OVER.

20201105_132151.jpg

Out come the GB150 which i always have in the back, all charged and ready to go.

20201105_132234.jpg

20201105_132237.jpg

connected it direct across the T6 battery for a quick jump start.

20201105_132156.jpg

started straight away . . . Happy days.

we went to get the guys that were parked behind us to move there van . . . . . . . guess what !!!

same thing, there VW Crafter was dead too . . . . .

lucky we had the GB150 to hand.

The crafter had a remote battery somewhere, but WV had left jump point in the engine bay..

20201105_132141.jpg

20201105_132139.jpg

so just connect up and boom started first time. ( The Crafter guys were well impressed )

and the GB150 was still showing 100% charge.

Happy days =]

off home we went for a Beer and a Pact on the back. - A Job well done.

NOCO GB150

1604749792595.png

NOCO GB70

1604749856745.png

carry cases,

1604749903981.png

1604749943000.png

And GB70 currently £135.99 at Amazon. Not quite as good as the £113 as above but still seems quite a good deal.

@Dellmassive or anyone else with experience of the NOCO - how do you think the LIDL £44.99 job would compare?

And GB70 currently £135.99 at Amazon. Not quite as good as the £113 as above but still seems quite a good deal.

@Dellmassive or anyone else with experience of the NOCO - how do you think the LIDL £44.99 job would compare?

I've had the cheaper ones before and got burned . . . . even the smaller NoCo packs. (GB40 / Soukai etc etc)

i would bother getting anything less than the GB70 for T6.

they may work an a small petrol engine car, but not a cold 2.0l diesel with a flat battery.

Reactions: Sib
infact i got it on film . . . . . . . .

watch the GB40 fail miserably . . . . . i was surprised myself that it didnt start this 1.7L Derv.....

video here >>> New video by ESD Lee

upload_2019-12-7_10-30-48.png

1604751924969.png

Reactions: Sib
My mate Matt has a Lidl one and he's started his T5 with it several times.
As always with these things, the 12 Ah claim in the Lidl ad is deceiving - thats at the cell level (3.3v), the sum of the capacities of all the internal cells (four), which does not give the overall pack capacity. These have 4 LiFePo4 cells in series so you can sum the total energy (watt hours) but not capacity (amp hours) - at 12v it will be at most a quarter of their claim, maybe half at USB level. This is typical of 'power bank' advertising. The Lidl wont have a boost facility, just 4 cells in series that connect across your starter battery, so the trick is to leave it connected for 15 minutes before starting.

I'm baffled by the energy decal on Lee's Noco 150 - 22500 joules is a piffling amount, equivalent to half an amp hour at 12v. Noco claim that the internal battery is 24wh, which is four times the 22500 joule claim but still only 2Ah at 12v. These devices take advantage of the incredibly low ESR of lithium cells allowing huge currents despite the low storage capacity. They obviously work very well and can be a lifesaver, its just annoying that the advertising claims dont make any sense at all ;)

Edit: after a bit of digging apparently their claim is 22500 "joules per three seconds" which is a completely made-up unit of power transfer!
I notice the newer ones are missing the 22500 sticker... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My mate Matt has a Lidl one and he's started his T5 with it several times. The trick is to leave it connected for 15 minutes before starting.
As always with these things, the 12 Ah claim in the Lidl ad is deceiving - thats at the cell level (3.3v), the sum of the capacities of all the internal cells (four), which does not give the overall pack capacity. These have 4 cells in series so you can sum the total energy (watt hours) but not capacity (amp hours) - at 12v it will be at most a quarter of their claim, maybe half at USB level. This is typical of 'power bank' advertising. The Lidl wont have a boost facility, just 4 cells in series that connect across your starter battery.

I'm baffled by the energy decal on Lee's Noco 150 - 22500 joules is a piffling amount, equivalent to half an amp hour at 12v. Noco claim that the internal battery is 24wh, which is four times the 22500 joule claim but still only 2Ah at 12v. These devices take advantage of the incredibly low ESR of lithium cells allowing huge currents despite the low storage capacity. They obviously work very well and can be a lifesaver, its just annoying that the advertising claims dont make any sense at all ;)
I've still got the Lithium cell from the GB150 that i killed in the tent last summer.

it seems unbranded . . . but either 3 or 6 pouch cells . . .

i keep it im my "explosion containment pie dish" . . . .

20201107_124557.jpg

it looks like this . . .

20201107_124624.jpg20201107_124709.jpg20201107_124722.jpg20201107_124752.jpg20201107_124819.jpg

as you say not mega amount of Ah capacity, but what it has got it can dump very quickly...

The problem with the GB40 was that it just discharged its capacity into the cars already flat battery . . . . leaving both batterys to low to start the car.

I would have been better off disconnecting the battery from the car and using the jump pack on the battery cables only . . . . . . but that's a scenario beyond most standard users of these jump packs.

The GB70 + GB150 i found had enough capacity to dump into the donor car/van, but still have enough left for a jump start.

Leaving them connected to flat battery seems to just run them flat very quickly into the donor flat battery.

I've found the best method is to connect and jump start immediately, then remove as quick as possible. - then recharge to full asap.

Back