Where to buy towbar and at what price? DIY

Joblue

I need to get a tow bar fitted to tow a small trailer, I have had a few quotes but just wondered what you guys might suggest as a reasonable price. Also should I get a removable or fixed hitch and will any electric work affect my warranty?

I’ve got a detachable TowTrust towbar and it plugged straight in to the van electrics which keeps the warranty, paid £575 supplied and fitted

I used a local independent for a westfalia detachable and paid 475 + vat so pretty similar to above

Afternoon to the forum users

Im after a good quality tow bar for my 4 Motion. Id prefer the "swan neck" version. I think thats what they are referred to as. VW quoted me £1100 and they need the van for the day. A bit pricey if Im honest but Im new to this so Im uncertain on the costing front

Can anyone out there recommend where's best to buy such a tow bar and get it fitted locally please

South West Cornwall only please

Thank you

Can you not find any local towbar centres or mobile fitters in your area, i would suggest half that cost is a reasonable price

Reactions: Eli
Afternoon to the forum users

Im after a good quality tow bar for my 4 Motion. Id prefer the "swan neck" version. I think thats what they are referred to as. VW quoted me £1100 and they need the van for the day. A bit pricey if Im honest but Im new to this so Im uncertain on the costing front

Can anyone out there recommend where's best to buy such a tow bar and get it fitted locally please

South West Cornwall only please

Thank you

BMW quoted me £1600 for a detachable tow bar. I just found the nearest tow bar fitter to the dealership, and it was the same place they used to fit the one I enquired about. He charged me £650 for the same job, using the same tow bar.

The Vw towbar I believe is a Westfalia tow bar. They have a dealer search on their website which should help you. And mine when
I had it done was around the £600 mark and fitting did take all day.

Yep, as already said Westfalia is the OEM fit, just find a local dealer from their website, failing that they have a fitting centre in Bristol.

I used a place in Plymouth for genuine westfalia detachable at less than half the price you were quoted, it just a case of finding a local place to you
If all else fails try ringing a local conversion company/transporter place and ask for a recommendation
Chillijamvans are SW Cornwall and I’m sure they will know someone in that region

Peter Bowman at Bury but depending on the electrics they may be not much cheaper than your VW quote.
Swan Necks are OK, I had a removable and it let me down on the day I was going away so I had it changed to a fixed Swan Neck.
This was on a Kia Sportage not a VW T6. Think it was £750 ish with dedicated electrics for the Kia and that was the Whitter removable so a fixed jobbie may be cheaper.
Towbars, Towbar fitting, Caravan Servicing & More | Peter Bowman Towing Centre Ltd.

Sorry, just seen you where from Manchester, a case of RTFM !!!! or Post.

Last edited:
Had my tow bar fitted by PF JONES mobile fitting 2weeks ago
Had the Westfalia tow bar and vw wiring and coding done took the bloke about 5 hours outside my house (Essex area ) ..

Today i had a new westfalia towbar supplied and fitted for £450 inc vat. That can't be bad can it? The main agent quoted over £1100. Its a traditional type tho, not detachable or swan neck.

I bought brand new Westfalia removable tow bar from Ebay for £195 and fitted it myself in 2 hours. The wiring of the relay and power lead took a little longer though. Cost around £240 in all plus around 6 hours of my time one Sunday afternoon.

Screenshot_20190707-211138_eBay.jpg

Back