T6.1 tow bar electrics not working

AFAIK there is no connection between the van lights or the towing module, it just depends on if your trailer LED lights pass enough current to be detected, some do and some don't depending on the driver circuit in the LEDs.

That's quite a lot more than a couple of grain of wheat lamps added to trigger trailer detection, but it is plug and play and will show some faults (so long as you check it)

The fan intrigues me, it suggests they are simply using load resistors to draw the same current as a normal lamp and then switching the LEDs based on that.

Hi All
the VLM6 unit i bought from Sargent to rectify my tow bar electrics not detecting my led caravan didn't work so im still in the same position not being able to tow my caravan, can the factory fit tow bar electrics be re programmed to stop looking for electrical resistance?

This is a very frustrating situation, I have had another vehicle plug into my caravan & all worked, I have plugged my van into a non led caravan & it worked, I have also plugged my van into a same model led caravan & it worked but the owner wasn't aware of any modifications that had been carried out on his caravan

No, it has no other way of doing trailer detection and that is used to do things like change foglight, parking sensors and stability control settings to account for the trailer.

If you are in the wiring where the Sargent would go then adding a small 12v incandescent lamp across both sidelights would meet the minimum detection level, though I suspect the van will nag you about failed indicators at that point. Adding 2 further lamps across the indicator circuits would stop that.

I would double check for any wiring faults if an identical van worked, though it's possible if it was a different year the LED modules may differ and have appropriate load resistance in.

Hi thanks for your reply, the wiring checks out ok in my caravan as I have had another vehicle plug in & everything worked as it should, Sargent said mine could have the newer led modules in as you said & not working with my van when the other led caravan did.
It looks like the only way to solve this is to add the 12v incandescent lamps as you have said inside the caravan.
I am very handy but not done any electrics before so would need guidance on how to do this. I am based near Glasgow & would be great if I could find someone in this area who could help me with the install to get this issue resolved.

Hi all
I have been searching the internet & found a LED canbus dummy adapter, you plug into your vehicles 13 pin electrics then plug your caravan / trailer lead into it & it solves the issues with the vehicle not detecting led's. The resistors are built into it. I've ordered one from Agroco trailers & cost £104.95 with overnight delivery.
I am praying this will solve my issue & will report back once tested

Ouch, I get there is value in convenience but that's a lot for a few resistors, let's hope it solves your problem.

Success at last, I plugged the LED canbus adapter into my van & connected the caravan & hey presto all the lights came on.
This has been quite a frustrating Journey but a learning curve over a simple thing you wouldn't expect to have an issue with.
VW weren't interested in the Transporter factory fit tow bar electrics not detecting my LED's as they tested the electrics & worked as far as they were concerned.
My VW 2019 pickup worked with my caravan but the 2022 transporter doesn't surely this is a design fault they are not addressing

Back