Removable towbar with Horses.

The Bear78

145 000 miles and just broken in!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Afternoon all.

A couple of years ago I fitted a Westfalia removable tow bar to my LWB T32 140.
In the time I've had it I've managed to use it all of once for a bike rack but my wife and I now own a horse and are just about to buy a horse trailer.
I have no worries In the vans ability to take the load but I am getting a bit twitchy over the removable tow bar. Typical Internet opinion suggests that replacing it with a fixed bar would be safer (probably true) but assuming proper insertion, do I need to worry?
Any known incidents of detachment?

Cheers.

Afternoon all.

A couple of years ago I fitted a Westfalia removable tow bar to my LWB T32 140.
In the time I've had it I've managed to use it all of once for a bike rack but my wife and I now own a horse and are just about to buy a horse trailer.
I have no worries In the vans ability to take the load but I am getting a bit twitchy over the removable tow bar. Typical Internet opinion suggests that replacing it with a fixed bar would be safer (probably true) but assuming proper insertion, do I need to worry?
Any known incidents of detachment?

Cheers.
Only when people leave the key in!?

Is the spec of the towbar OK for the weight etc. of the horse box? If yes keep it, if no change it. I've no technical abilities and so generally approach things in that way and Westfalia are at least a reputable marque.

What, allegedly, is the issue with towing a horsebox with a removeable tow-bar? If it's rated for the proposed weight, I can't see what the problem is.

The internet chatter is probably conflating impact and probability, as the general public are pretty poor at distinguishing between the two when assessing risk. Put simply, the impact of a tow-bar failure is greater when towing a horse (think emotional distress), but the probability (likelihood) of a tow-bar failure is no higher just because you're towing a horse.

What, allegedly, is the issue with towing a horsebox with a removeable tow-bar? If it's rated for the proposed weight, I can't see what the problem is.
Simply that it isn't as secure as a bolted one. I'm all too aware of how the Internet is full of negativity and good experiences are rarely shared.
I'm just hoping that nobody says that theirs came off!!

Put simply, the impact of a tow-bar failure is greater when towing a horse (think emotional distress), but the probability (likelihood) of a tow-bar failure is no higher just because you're towing a horse
It's the emotional stress that I'm most concerned about.

Cheers.

It's the emotional stress that I'm most concerned about.
Understandable, of course, but the probability of a tow-bar failure remains vanishingly remote... subject to using it within its design parameters.

Someone on here gave some good advice.

They do fail, but usually when they have been left attached and not checked.

So remove and reattach regularly, especially before towing.

Looks like user error, albeit exacerbated by rust which prevented the mechanism fully engaging.

Speaking from personal experience & not what I’ve read on t’net. We had a Discovery 4 with a removable towbar & towed a 2t boat. After 12 months I noticed it rattling in use & it got to the point where it started to work its way loose. I swapped it for a fixed type & never looked back. Afterwords there were recorded cases of the removable ones “self removing”. I have an OEM factory fixed one on my T6, I would never have another removable towbar.

I had that post in my mind but for some reason I couldn't find it.

Cheers.

Speaking from personal experience & not what I’ve read on t’net. We had a Discovery 4 with a removable towbar & towed a 2t boat. After 12 months I noticed it rattling in use & it got to the point where it started to work its way loose. I swapped it for a fixed type & never looked back. Afterwords there were recorded cases of the removable ones “self removing”. I have an OEM factory fixed one on my T6, I would never have another removable towbar.
Was that a Westfalia one?

Does that not apply for a detachable? (genuine question)
Only if it’s in place. And if you’re going to leave it in place as a bumper protector, there’s no point having a removable one.
Reminds me of the time a few years back, I was at a local roundabout waiting for the lights to change. The roundabout had 2 lanes, there was a Defender in the lane at the side of me, but one car in front. A Mondeo rolled up to the Defender & hit the Landrover’s towball. The LR driver got out, looked at his hitch, shrugged his shoulders & got back into his LR. The lights changed & the Defender drove off…..with the front valance of the Mondeo attached. The look on the Ford driver’s face was priceless.

Last edited:
Back