T6.1 tow bar electrics not working

Chopsey

Hi all
I have just tried to connect my caravans electrics for the first time to my factory fitted removable tow bar electrics and got no power, I have looked through the manual and there is no fuse diagram for me to check if the fuse has blown, so not sure where to look. I bought this van a month ago & I can see the removable tow bar has been used before so would of thought the factory electrics were working. Any help or advice on what to do would be much appreciated

It's a T6.1 Transporter

There should be 2 or 3 fuses by the starter battery.

Post a pic of the battery and we'll see.

Screenshot_20240103_193251_Chrome.jpg

Factory fit fuses on a 6.1 OE towbar are under the passenger seat.

I did an extensive thread on behaviour:

And which fuse does what here in the VIP section:

What do you mean by "no power"?

And does the van detect your trailer?

But for basic checks you should find this under your passenger seat at the front, check all the 30 amp green fuses in the little carrier

20230918_173726.JPG
The OE trailer module is under the driver's seat, so may be worth checking that that has not been disturbed and any connection loose, I don't have a picture with them in situ to hand but in this one the trailer module is the larger one (smaller one is auto high beam) and they live on a carrier on the handbrake side of the seat base.
20230916_160509.JPG

Thanks for all the advice guys, I checked the fuses & nothing was blown & module seemed to be ok so not sure where the fault is. I have the van booked in at the main dealers for a service next week so will let them have a look at it for me at the same time & report back

Hi
when i plugged my caravans lead in the tow bars electric nothing worked on the caravan, break lights / indicators etc / alko hitch mechanism, the van didn't detect the trailer either
thanks Karl

The caravans electrics worked the previous week with my older vehicle

Reactions: CAB
Is it LED on the caravan?

The OE tow bar module needs to detect 2 of the following circuits with normal non LED working lamps to detect the trailer:
Left sidelight
Right sidelight
Left indicator
Right indicator

Is it LED on the caravan?

The OE tow bar module needs to detect 2 of the following circuits with normal non LED working lamps to detect the trailer:
Left sidelight
Right sidelight
Left indicator
Right indicator
yes its led on the caravan thanks karl

I had a 2019 vw amorok previuosly with the factory fit tow bar electrics & that worked ok with my caravan

I didn't get an LED trailer board to work with my van, but having checked the manual the note about the LED lights in there is specifically that they will not work for alarm integration.

My recollection was that LED lamps were not recommended due to issues with trailer detection, but that seems to be more just my experience.

If they are going to charge you a diagnostic fee then I would still try and borrow a conventional lamp trailer board to double check that it's working first.

Also check for any logged fault codes around the trailer module.

Yes good idea to try the lamp trailer board first, thank you for all your help & support.
I will update on the outcome once its sorted

I didn't get an LED trailer board to work with my van, but having checked the manual the note about the LED lights in there is specifically that they will not work for alarm integration.

My recollection was that LED lamps were not recommended due to issues with trailer detection, but that seems to be more just my experience.

If they are going to charge you a diagnostic fee then I would still try and borrow a conventional lamp trailer board to double check that it's working first.

Also check for any logged fault codes around the trailer module.
Just got my van back from vw van centre and they have done the diagnostic on the towing electrics and said they are working 100% ok so not sure why my caravan isn't detected & working when I plug in, Surely it's not because it has led lights ?

Can you change a couple of the lamps fed from the sidelights to filament lamps?

For my virtual trailer charging lead I used grain of wheat lamps so they don't have to big lamps.

I had an issue with my oem towing socket when the off side position and stop lights stopped working. The nearest V W dealer did the diagnostics and said everything in the van was working. I subsequently removed the passenger seat and swivel and found that one of the fuses in the carrier pictured in post#3 had blown. Replaced and all lights working. The fuse was for one of the 12v supplies to the trailer control unit under the drivers seat. So I guess the diagnostics are not always 100%. I have an led trailer board and had a caravan with led lights and both worked fine.
When reassembling I left the fuse carrier unclipped from its mounting and secured it with a cable tie so I can access it without having to remove the passenger seat and swivel.

Have you yet connected a basic non LED trailer board?

Even if you can't borrow one a cheap and cheerful is only about £20 and would let you know what's going on.

Hi All
Just been back to my caravan for the first time since getting the all clear on my tow bar electrics working. I plugged my caravan in & same as before nothing working. I removed the rear caravan light cluster to see if I can change LEDs to normal lamps but can't be done as it's a sealed led unit. I then plugged a non led caravan in & it lit up as it should so it's definitely that my 72 plate transporter isn't detecting my led caravan. I can't believe I should be having this issue, my 2019 vw Amorok worked with my led caravan, any advice as what to do now would be most appreciated, many thanks Karl

I have just installed a tow bar today and I have noticed you can chose between 13 pin for normal bulbs or having it to work with LED as well. What brand is your tow bar and 13 pin socket?

Is your 13 pin plug on the caravan sealed or a rewireable one?

All you need is a few grain of wheat lamps like I did here, not great in your situation but...

https://www.t6forum.com/threads/trailer-socket-12v-ehu-how-I've-done-it.45009/#post-599245

Is the caravan wiring accessible at any point as they could also be added inside.

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for all your help & advice,
I contacted swift who make my caravan about my towing electrics issue & they put me in touch with Sargent who manufacture all the electrical wiring / fuse boards for most caravans / motorhomes.
They have manufactured a new fuse board unit called the VLM6 that rectifies the issue I am having with my tow bar electrics not detecting my led caravan. Its a straight swap over plug & play unit costing £145.00, not cheap but worth it to resolve this issue so I can use my caravan again. I have ordered one & will post the outcome once fitted next week. I have attached Sargents VLM6 instalation & user guide for anyone else who comes across this problem & needs a solution, thanks Karl

Attachments

• Sargent VLM6.pdf
    582.8 KB · Views: 5
Glad you have a solution for your set up. I had a another thought as to why my oem towing electrics worked fine with LED that is my van has oem LED rear lights so is maybe configured to detect LED . The more knowledgeable folks on here may know if that is likely the answer.

Back