Wheelchair Shuttle to Camper build

Good point just checked. According to the scan I did previously he has got module 6D but I don't think the one in the photo is it going off the tech drawing
True - so the search continues? Inside the "unknown" box?

Definitely not OEM. Without a wiring diagram I'm afraid your probably gonna have to do it the old-fashioned way and follow the wires. Did you not get any documents with the van

Not relating to the mods, the conversion was done by a company called brookmiller

Could you contact them and maybe get some of the wiring diagrams?

Just before Christmas I bought a low mileage t6 which had been professionally converted for rear access with a wheelchair and hand controls to aid driving. With help from you guys and a visit from Dav tec I managed to remove all the hand controls and return seating and driving to standard (still some elects to sort for the ramp and tailgate controls. This post is a quick summary of the work involved in chopping out the wheelchair ramp!

IMG_1310.JPG

The rear bumperettes, and ramp cabling were removed along with the ramp sections that could be unbolted

IMG_1311.JPG

I bough a 'floor cut ' from a breaker which arrived much bigger than I asked - this proved to be very useful

IMG_1313.JPG

To maintain rigidity, I opted to chop out the ramp in two section, the rear up to the inner wishbone crossmember then the rest.

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

The rear section was cut from the floor cut in one and welded in place

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

The rear suspension, exhaust, fuel tank and guard, undertrays and parking brake were then removed and the remaining ramp sub assembly cut away in sections.

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

I cut the floor so that the replacement would be sitting on the chassis flanges and invisible from beneath. The ends of the chassis rails were then all marked out and squared off in preparation for installing the new floor. Because of the accuracy required, I opted to remove the floor skin from the purchased floor cut by drilling out all the spot welds! The replacement chassis rails were then accurately measured off and cut from the replacement chassis.

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

The chassis rails were then accurately trimmed and welded in place

IMG_1344.JPG

Finally the sheet floor was trimmed and welded in place

IMG_1348.JPG

Just the underside to re build then on to next phase!

Hi all, the next phase of my t6 wav de conversion continues. All hand controls and extra dash switches and wiring now removed and van running perfectly thanks to Dav tec.
The next phase is to prepare for removal of the tailgate ramp. The tailgate is power open/close with power latching. I can get it to open close ok from the buttons on the tailgate itself. There is also a hand held unit inside the rear of the van on a flying lead. This has four buttons, two control the tailgate, up and down, two control the ramp - up and down. The ramp appears interlinked as it won't operate with the door shut. The tailgate control works at all times. Inside the nsr panel is a large control box into which all the control cables disappear - is this a standard fitting or aftermarket? I wish to retain the tailgate controls but remove the ramp but am out of my depth - can see me calling Dav tech soon!
Hi all. I'm in the process of stripping all the extra tailgate stuff off - currently I have pulled the fuses on the "extras " and the new floor has a fixed tailgate latch.
Tailgate opens and closes ok from the tailgate switches, locks ok on the remote, but will not operate from the key fob which has a tailgate button - is this a coding issue?
Should the park pilot system stop the tailgate opening if parked near an obstacle?
There are no internal switches for operating the tailgate - is this normal?
Is it possible to piggy back onto existing wiring for another switch?
Many thanks

Carrying on with the removal of the electrical mods - pics attached of the electrical control box under the passenger seat - now removed - and the second control box from the near side rear wheel arch. From the rear box, there are connections to the ramp motor, to the hand held controller for ramp and tailgate, to the front power supply box, and two wires which are connected to two brown wires which disappear into the roof. I have disconnected these and removed the whole lot. Tailgate works fine from the tailgate switches - the only issue I have is what these wires are connected to as they somehow controlled the tailgate operation. I have also discovered that the tailgate power latch - not currently fitted - is electrically connected to a box bolted to the wheel arch, not to the mobility add on box - is this the original Vw fitment? I have plugged the power latch in and it doesn't currently operate. Any help greatly appreciated and if anyone wants anything from the control boxes give me a shout!

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

Final piece of the jigsaw!
Everything extra that had been installed in the as part of the wav conversion has now been removed with the exception of
Electric parking brake - this is now a stand alone system and I will retain
The two connections from the rear control box which have been spliced into the rear loom. These have disconnected and taped up at the box and now I have removed the headlining, can easily be de soldered. For my interest I wondered if any electrical guru could advise what they are connected to?
One wire is spliced into white cable numbered 219, and the other to 54 - I have been unable to find these on the current flow diagrams.

Just a couple more things which are not major but advise appreciated
When the ramp was fitted the latching was by a power latch. The rear end I have welded in has a fixed pin which is working fine, but out of interest I plugged the power latch into the lead from the control module to see what happened when the tailgate shut - and nothing did! What normally triggers the power latch?
The tailgate open is not registering on the mfd - all other doors ok
Tailgate has never operated from the key fob - is this an option or standard?
There is no internal switch to open/ close the tailgate - again standard or option?
Sorry to ask so many question!
Thanks in advance
Steve

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

Final piece of the jigsaw!
Everything extra that had been installed in the as part of the wav conversion has now been removed with the exception of
Electric parking brake - this is now a stand alone system and I will retain
The two connections from the rear control box which have been spliced into the rear loom. These have disconnected and taped up at the box and now I have removed the headlining, can easily be de soldered. For my interest I wondered if any electrical guru could advise what they are connected to?
One wire is spliced into white cable numbered 219, and the other to 54 - I have been unable to find these on the current flow diagrams.

Just a couple more things which are not major but advise appreciated
When the ramp was fitted the latching was by a power latch. The rear end I have welded in has a fixed pin which is working fine, but out of interest I plugged the power latch into the lead from the control module to see what happened when the tailgate shut - and nothing did! What normally triggers the power latch?
The tailgate open is not registering on the mfd - all other doors ok
Tailgate has never operated from the key fob - is this an option or standard?
There is no internal switch to open/ close the tailgate - again standard or option?
Sorry to ask so many question!
Thanks in advance
Steve

View attachment 149050

View attachment 149051
AMazing work. ANd here is me worrying about removing the rear bumper to fit a towbar.

I cant help with all but:
Tailgate has never operated from the key fob - is this an option or standard? By operated do you mean open or unlock?
There is no internal switch to open/ close the tailgate - again standard or option? Internal switch is not standard on all vans.

One wire is spliced into white cable numbered 219, and the other to 54
219 could/should be ground - mating with brown wire at the connector.
By any chance 54 - 3rd brake light? (as per DIN terminal designations)
What colour wire the "54" mates at the connector (or what pin)? (For brake light would be black/red - pin 8)

Skyliner - tailgate unlocks from fob but does not open - fob has a tailgate button

Mmi - both wires were connected to the rear control box installed by brookmiller to operate tailgate and ramp ( now removed) from a separate hand control on a flying lead so shouldn't involve the brake light. I have had a play this afternoon and if I ground one of the wires it opens the tailgate, grounding again opens it. The other one does nothing when the tailgate open but when closed it sounds like the strut motors try to run but tailgate doesn't open!

Reactions: mmi
Hi all - just thought I'd introduce myself as it's likely I'm going to be quite active over next few months! I have owned and converted to camper a t5.1 over the last 5 years. I have just purchased a 2016 150 dsg shuttle with the same intention. Biggest initial problems are going to be getting it back to standard as it's been converted for wheelchair access - much mech and electric work.
I have spotted an anomaly on the v5 tho and wondered if anyone else can advise? I bought it advertised as a t32, front struts confirm this. On the description on v5 it's Vw transporter t30 dsg bmt, but it's listed as 3200 kg gvw! Do I have a problem?
How did it work out? I’m looking at the exact same vehicle to transform into a Caravelle setup. Was it worth the time, effort, expense? Thank you

Hi @barriegardner - it's not a job for the faint hearted! I'm very happy with the end result. I bought the shuttle for about £21k nearly 2 years ago - 2016 shuttle se , 36k miles with dsg. Cost me less than £1k to get it back to std but many hours work over a 3 month period and probably saved £5k. Times free to me as I'm retired!
The electrical mods took the most effort to sort - just got to be methodical. I managed to sell a lot of what I stripped out.
Do you have a link to the one you looking at.
Mines a full camper conversion now - done 15k miles since completion and not missed a beat. Let me know if you take it on
Steve

Hi @barriegardner - it's not a job for the faint hearted! I'm very happy with the end result. I bought the shuttle for about £21k nearly 2 years ago - 2016 shuttle se , 36k miles with dsg. Cost me less than £1k to get it back to std but many hours work over a 3 month period and probably saved £5k. Times free to me as I'm retired!
The electrical mods took the most effort to sort - just got to be methodical. I managed to sell a lot of what I stripped out.
Do you have a link to the one you looking at.
Mines a full camper conversion now - done 15k miles since completion and not missed a beat. Let me know if you take it on
Steve
Thanks for the response. Did you manage it yourself ? This is the van I’m looking at: Used Volkswagen Vans for sale in Wallington, Surrey | CMW Car Sales Limited
Thanks very much. Barrie

Yes - did it all myself apart from help from dav Tec when I managed to accidentally disable a canbus connection! The pics of that van looks v similar to what I had - converted by a company called Brook miller. Although that's a t6, if it's 140 hp it's the euro 5 engine, the euro 6 is 150 hp- worth checking if ulez is a priority - otherwise looks ok

Back