Potential Caravelle to Camper Conversion

dickiecolton

Hi all. First post.
I’m looking at buying a Caravelle to convert to a camper. This is a little complicated but stick with me.
The van I’ve seen is a WAV 2016 Caravelle 72000 miles with para hand controls and a side wheelchair lift. DSG gearbox which I would like.
My wife is a full time wheelchair user so would like to keep the wheelchair lift on the van. These are 4k to have fitted. The van is capable of being driven from a wheelchair so has 1 captains seat which can be moved to either passenger or driver. But I want to remove all the para controls and install an additional captains seat. It’s the ideal van really.
I want to do a full camper conversion over time as a project (it won’t be my daily drive). I’ve seen mixed reports on converting Caravelles.
How problematic would it be to remove the para (hand) controls and take it back to a blank canvas for conversion ?
Thanks

I am not sure about the hand controls but it should easy as the Caravelle would have been fitted with the controls after it left the factory. You try searching for a local installer to see if he can remove it or offer advise.
One problem converting a Caravelle is relocating the rear roof mounted heating system so that the pop top can be fitted. The other is the space that is lost with the twin sliding doors. The photos of the New T7 California has twin sliding doors and the cooker is on a sliding drawer system in front of one of the doors.

Rather than full conversion in the Caravelle you do have the full rail system. It might be useful to think more of pods you can take in and out or move from one side to the other.

Eg Volkswagen - California Beach - Caravelle - Multivan

A challenge you may have with that specific van is if the front seats have been made swappable what has happened to the under seat electrics and where would you put a Leisure Battery (unless a second battery has already been fitted somewhere to power the lift?)

Hi all. First post.
I’m looking at buying a Caravelle to convert to a camper. This is a little complicated but stick with me.
The van I’ve seen is a WAV 2016 Caravelle 72000 miles with para hand controls and a side wheelchair lift. DSG gearbox which I would like.
My wife is a full time wheelchair user so would like to keep the wheelchair lift on the van. These are 4k to have fitted. The van is capable of being driven from a wheelchair so has 1 captains seat which can be moved to either passenger or driver. But I want to remove all the para controls and install an additional captains seat. It’s the ideal van really.
I want to do a full camper conversion over time as a project (it won’t be my daily drive). I’ve seen mixed reports on converting Caravelles.
How problematic would it be to remove the para (hand) controls and take it back to a blank canvas for conversion ?
Thanks
Hi DickieColton, was just looking through and come across your question. My names Rich, from BadaBing Campers, we deal with quite a few WAV vehicles so would be happy to answer any questions you may have with regards with regards the conversion. You can contact us on 01384210727 email us at sales@badabingcampers.co.uk. You can visit our website at www.badabingcampers.co.uk

Back