Whats The Deal With The Bitdi?

oberlo

Hi guys,

So I've been looking at T6's and found a t6 which is on a 66 plate with 22k on the clock, after some digging (it's not on the advert) I've seen according to the finance on it its a BITDI 204ps

TSPTR KV T32S 2 0 BITDI BM to be specific

The spec is unreal, and the price is very keen, but trying to research whether these BITDI's are a safe buy or not is another story - what is the consensus?

No big issues with the T6 204, the odd egr failure here and there, it was the T5 180 bitdi that had the really bad egr issue that was chewing up engines.

Plenty of 204 bitdi owners on here, only 2 I think that have had egr problems, the vast majority have had no issues at all, me included.

That said, my inlaws have a T5 180 bitdi that's been faultless in over 100k.

Happy with mine, you'll love the power, unless it's FWD and wet... :)

204 owner here too, and other than a couple of poorly designed EGR pipes splitting which cost £20, mine has been faultless from 0 miles to the current 65k
Love it.

I'm guessing that my Amarok 180 had the same engine, or pretty similar, despite being mounted the other way round. That was faultless for the 72k miles that I had it.

I was looking at T5.1s a few years back. The horror stories come from the early 180 Bitdi T5.1s. 2010 - 12 were the ones to avoid.

EDIT: incorrect statement included in original post.

Last edited:
Bitdi - just means Bi(turbo) - tdi (instead of single turbo TDI)

its just a small and large turbo charger in one package that the larger engine PS`s have to give more power.

so BITDI = Bi-Turbo = more powerfull engine ie 204ps

I have one and there great . . . . much more powerfull that the EU5 180ps engine

I've clocked up 42k on a 17 plate 204 and only the power steering pump? has been replaced. (Not sure what is was called)

Thank you for all the replies guys, reassurance certainly needed and much appreciated :)

Going to view her ASAP, watch this space!

It was flashing coil and a combination of error codes before VW would replace. I can’t remember exact codes but do remember that they wouldn’t replace just for a flashing coil light.
Thank you. I just bought a 18 Caravelle 204 and I'm worried. It's a GM Coachworks drive from wheelchair vehicle, with their Colorado conversion. That's why I bought it, conversion is rare. enough, not for the 204 although it's nippy compared to the 150. Fingers crossed it will be OK. 23k miles

Back