What is this substance in the arches?

Mule

T6 Pro
I was finally getting round to giving our '71 plate camper a proper clean this evening and noticed a substance congealed behind the springs on the inside of the drivers side front wheel arch.

It's the first time I've looked up in there and I'm hoping it's just wax from the manufacturing process (van has done less than 1.5k miles) but thought I'd ask the forum collective in case it's something more serious....

It was firm to touch but malleable with a finger nail so I don't think it's grease.

20220804_191920.jpg

20220804_191927.jpg

20220804_191932.jpg

20220804_191947.jpg

Yeah its the cavity wax stuff they apply at the factory, you will find traces of it inside most voids and various other places throughout

That’s a good sign that they have used plenty of cold cavity wax.

I wouldn't leave it to the factory applied wax to stop your van from dissolving over the next few years.
I'd highly recommend getting a full Bilt Hamber Dynax wax job done as soon as possible to delay the tinworm as much as you can.

I wouldn't leave it to the factory applied wax to stop your van from dissolving over the next few years.
I'd highly recommend getting a full Bilt Hamber Dynax wax job done as soon as possible to delay the tinworm as much as you can.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I hadn't heard of this before but alway believe in prevention rather than a repair bill.... Is this something I could do myself with the van jacked up or is it best left to the professionals?

Anyone else done or recommend this?

I have done it myself to several vehicles but I have a large compressor and wax applicator gun in the garage to apply it with so the large 5l jerrycans are the best option for me, they do the various types in aerosol can form as well but that makes it more expensive.

Back