Roof-Spoiler fitting

Rich

T6 Pro
image.jpeg Hi All,

In the interests of doing my small bit to get this forum going with useful info, I thought I'd post a few pics and things I found when installing my rear spoiler the other night, so here' goes:
image.jpeg
Before......

Kit I used:
Pre-painted spoiler from Banwy. On the more expensive side, but always original parts and the finish is truly perfect, paintwork probably better than the van!)

Dinitrol 500 window fitting adhesive kit. Again from Banwy, comes with activators, primers etc)

Insulation tape
Drill/driver
Long very thin screw
3mm drill
5mm drill
11mm drill
Anti rust compound
Foam gasket (came with spoiler)
Plastic drilling guides (came with spoiler)
Rubber mallet
Step ladder

What I did:
1) offered up spoiler to make sure it fitted. This was actually reassuring as it fits really tightly to the corners and means that once located there's no real way it can be off centre or spaced incorrectly because the shape matches up so well.
2) put the spoiler drilling guides in the holes on the spoiler and placed it back on the van. Used the insulation tape to fix drill guides down.
image.jpeg

3) having realised that the tiny hole in the 'jig' is too thin for anything but a less than 2mm drill bit which I didn't have. A nice long thin screw worked really well to gently screw down the jig and make a small mark on the psi work ready for my pilot hole.
4) I actually used a 3mm drill bit first then a 5mm bit to make a hole big enough to accept the studs which I had already now screwed into the threaded holes on the spoiler. This allowed me one more chance to check holes lined up perfectly with the studs before making the necessary 11mm hole (sorry forgot to take a picture of this bit!)

5) drilled the needed 11mm hole for the plugs supplied with the spoiler. Filed the edges and coated in the supplied anti-rust compound.
image.jpeg

6)Having peviously cleaned and de-greased the top surface of the tailgate, I put the cleaner/activator from the kit on with the supplied sponge (there was plenty to do both spoiler and bodywork). Left it a couple of minutes then wiped off as directed. Then I applied the black primer to the tailgate and left it for the given 10min time.

7) I applied the dinitrol adhesive to the spoiler in between the areas covered by the foam gasket.

8) Pushed the rawplug style plugs into my 11mm holes (a light tap with a rubber mallet got these to clip into place nicely).

9) finally offered up the spoiler for final fitting, got the studs lined up with the plugged holes, and with a satisfying set of clicks it pushed down firmly into place. At first there was a bit of play still but I expected that since the adhesive is not 'grab' style like 3m tape or something and in the end took a good 12hrs to properly go off. Once it had the fit feels solid and looks good in my opinion!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Obviously other methods are available, just thought if anyone is about to do this job then it might help and it's actually not a difficult job.

All the best.

Looking good, I just used 3m high strength tape for mine and had no problems.I really didn't want to drill the doors.

Nice thread @Rich i did exactly the same albeit without drilling the holes. I didn't like the idea of painting the black primer on my brand new white primer, but it does help the adhesion. I have slight flexing on mine, doubt it will come off though. I really like that with the genuine spoiler it sits perfectly on the tailgate without anything holding it.

Bonded my tailgate spoiler on with Teroson. Recommended by bodyshop. Easy job. No issues. Up and away in 2-3 hours on a warm day.

First picture on their site I thought yeah, looked a bit subtler
Second picture from above I thought no as not sure about the way it flares up
So I am firmly on the fence about this one

@Pauly That's my thoughts exactly. Oh what to do because the van goes in for sign writing on the 11th and I need a spoiler fitted before hand.

Well I decided to go for the Maxton spoiler along with front splitter V1 so fingers crossed they arrive tomorrow.

I've also looked at these spoilers , front and rear , i will be very interested in your thoughts when you get them. I do like the rear , just enough i think, not sure about the fixing though .

I had notification that they are being delivered tomorrow so as soon as I get them fitted I post a picture and my thoughts but the more I looked at it the more it grew on me so hopefully I made the right decision.

Hi,
Does the spoiler actually have a positive effect on noise in the cabin?
It was suggested to me by a VW fitter,that it could just as easily make more rear window turbulence rather than less and therefore more noisy.

I can't say I've noticed any difference to be honest @Tony . my van is nice and quiet now, but I fitted the spoiler quite close time wise to having done the insulating and carpet lining etc, so the combined effects are great, but not sure the spoiler makes any difference one way or the other....I like the way it looks though now after having been a little unsure at first.

Back