Should I apply Body Corrosion Inhibitor?

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
I've just been undersealing. I have been rained off, so I still have the off-side front sector to do, and then replace all the wheel arches and plasitc guards from the underside.

But so far i can report that the wheel arches and plasic covers came off without any problems. A small socket setis required and also a star key. There was a couple of 'funny' fasteners, but i got these off and they don't seem that necessary anyway. so getting to the job is ok.

Once the metal has been exposed, you can easily visualize the van eight years or less down the line.....where the rust would be. VW have waxed it, but it is a bit too 'sketchy' for my liking. I worked steadily away and when I looked at what I had done i had a strong sense that I had done the right thing because it looked right, felt right, ready for winter and salt and chippings etc.

From beginning to end it will take two days, starting at first light, and allowing plenty of breaks. Equipment was a good rug, plenty of paintbrushes, white spirit, lots of disposable gloves. I used Hammerite underbody seal. It seems that one 2.5 lt can will do the lot. It goes on well and no drips or anything messy, a dream to use. I once used the pressure spray on another vehicle. I would say just put it on by brush, don't bother with the spray. It is a mucky job, but washing with white spirit and then washing up liquid cleans you up fine.

It really needs to be done asap, and before the winter road salt, of course.

The last vehicle I undersealed did well. The underseal (waxoyl) went a little bit brittle after about 9 years. I had a car before that which was 20-odd years old before I scrapped it. I'd got it given off my father-in-law. He had a brother who worked for the council, and so he used to take it to the yard and get it waxoyl sprayed once a year. So after about 8 years I am going to underseal the van it again, at the end of a summer, after I have taken it down the motorway in heavy rain a few times and gone through a few fords.

There is good clearance beneath the vehicle, and it goes without saying to block it up well so you don't get crushed, because you have to really get beneath it.

PS, I did it by jacking one wheel at a time. I started with the rear.

Im only planning to keep mine 3/4 years but otherwise its well worth doing.

Only car I ever did was my Mini, I thought the new cars now had better rust prevention. PS that star key is called a Torx

Only car I've ever considered waxoyling was my landy but I didn't bother in the end because I heard conflicting stories about invalidating corrosion warranties, etc..

Are these vehicles prone to rusting and/or is it really worth the effort/expense of under sealing?

I thought all VWs used a clear cold cavity wax from the factory so additional underseal was not necessary unless you were adding your own protection....?

Sold our last Cali at 22,750 miles and three years old - we live right next to the sea.
It was near spotless underneath - the usual mild exhaust corrosion but that was it (you can't seal an exhaust anyway).
Things like Defenders need it but I reckon it's a bit OTT on a VW van unless you regularly work in a salt mine.

Yes, it may have been unnecessary, but it was only 40 quid and a couple of days,and can't do any harm.

As I removed the covers I could see that the wax spray must have been done by hand, not robot. It was patchy, a squirt here and there, big lengths of sills not done.

But there are chippings and salt and lots of places for the rot to set in.Mots seem to be tightening up, so rust around an important area like a shocker could be an advisory.

There is warranty for 12 years, but if I read it rightly it was from the INSIDE only.

But you can't get everywhere, so there will always be the Achille's heal.

Maybe I'm just old school. But it is a part of my big life plan to keep it 15 years. I have scrapped many cars in my time because they didn't pass the MOT, and it was corrosion every time

I'm also painting the steel wheels with a few coats of enamel paint, and also the bottom of the doors area and wheel arch rims. I didn't remove the bumpers as that looked complicated and involved.

But it is my pleasure to look after a vehicle, and that is the main reason. I sometimes like to just take a wheel off to clean it, and enjoy putting it back on again, pottering.

I totally respect that, it's your van, paid for by your money, and I've got to admit hats off to you for your care and dedication and also your attention to detail.:thumbsup:

But you can't get everywhere, so there will always be the Achille's heal.

Maybe I'm just old school. But it is a part of my big life plan to keep it 15 years. I have scrapped many cars in my time because they didn't pass the MOT, and it was corrosion every time
I totally agree and I have a belt and braces approach to these things as well. to get more places I bought one of these and use every time I remove a pug or get sight of the inside of a panel or section.
s-l300.jpg
Professional Rust Proofing / Wax Injection Gun for Underseal & Waxoyl etc WS1 it comes with 2 clever little pipes with nozzels that can be pushed through holes..

So you did not want to use the hand pump you get with a waxoil kit then ;);)
I have made so much mess with waxoil that I only use professional clear CCW in the gun and I have a large cauldron of waxoil that I heat up on an induction hob and apply with a paint brush.

PS waxoil stinks so never use it on areas that might be on the inside.

Been reading this thread, but after consideration I have waxoyled the underside of my van, as mentioned corrosion can be a factor for the MOT, and I’ve just spent a fair bit of cash on the conversion and I aim to keep the van for pretty much the rest of my days, so for me it makes sense, I have access to a pit so this made the job a breeze, I will say the underside was mint, with no indication of corrosion, and the coating done in the factory looked pretty good in my opinion, but I will go over it again in a year, anyways I have the kit to do the job from when I had my old 74’ T2, so I didn’t have to shell out for the job, I tend to err on the side of caution but thats just me !

I have made so much mess with waxoil that I only use professional clear CCW in the gun and I have a large cauldron of waxoil that I heat up on an induction hob and apply with a paint brush.

PS waxoil stinks so never use it on areas that might be on the inside.

Hi Loz,

I've been working on my Caravelle for a few weeks and need to use some cavity wax. I was thinking of getting the same Sealy Cavity Wax gun. Which Pro Clear CCW do you use with it?
I need to get some on hard to reach areas so need to use the wand with it.
Does it perform well?
After watching this video
I need to achieve similar results but 3M Cavity Wax Plus isn't easy to get hold of in the UK.

Cheers

Back