What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Fitted a Vw approved headrest hook, for shopping bags or a trip to fetch a takeaway without falling over - I hope!

IMG_2389.jpg IMG_2390.JPG IMG_2392.JPG

Once the headrest part is fitted, you can also change the attachment to a coat hanger, iPad holder or a foldaway tray.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

Last edited:
@moomin-j , love it! And could be just what I need for all day family trips when the kids need somewhere for their screens to go!
You got a part number?

@moomin-j , love it! And could be just what I need for all day family trips when the kids need somewhere for their screens to go!
You got a part number?

No problem:

headrest attachment:000061122 & I paid £14.75
carrier bag hook:000061126B & I paid £18.70
with free delivery

Both from a company called Partshaus on Ebay

Original VW Folding Table for Travel & Comfort System 000061124
s-l640.jpg
£91.40
Free postage

Or:

NEW GENUINE VW ACCESSORY TRAVEL & COMFORT SYSTEM – APPLE IPAD TABLET HOLDER
s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That looks good, but it’s a hell of a price. The tablet holder I got from Amazon/ebay a few years back looks pretty much like that and was about £15. I like the drop down table and cup holder though

We’ve been mocking up the garage storage for the mountain bikes at the back of the van. Gives us a surprising amount of space. Looks great!

Ebay. About £7. Had to replace a couple of door card clips as they shattered when I took it apart

Fitted the Vw undertray today, as the rain stopped.
Firstly up on the ramps, as for some strange reason the shape of my 50 year old middle regions won’t fit under the front bumper :whistle:
Then, 6 off existing M8 holes retapped, as the threads were a little tight and using a small amount of copper slip on the new bolts will help if/when the need arises to take them off again to drop the tray for a service etc.
For the rear, Vw kindly supply an expanding plastic plug that holds the tray up whilst getting the bolts in. The front has 3 extended lugs that sit on top of the back of the bumper.
This very easy mod is well worth the 20 mins of fitting time and the expense if, like me you will be keeping the Camper for a very long time.
This protects the underbelly from all the crud and salt from winter driving that would normally get thrown up.
Hopefully the little bit of sound deadening will help also. :thumbsup:
3E1247F8-FABD-42EA-94F1-2F752927018F.jpeg 02B85ED1-51EF-471A-A654-47924642F76F.jpeg 6C360A71-A4D4-44B6-A92E-69DC1436AB28.jpeg

Last edited:
This is less of a “what have you done to your van” and more of a “what are you thinking about doing to your van”.

Our camper is great on cold evenings, as the Propex heater keeps the interior really warm. But we do find that the lino saps the heat from our feet. Common sense says that we should get a rug, some slippers or similar, but that’s boring.

So I bought a pair of universal fit car seat warmers on Ebay for £7.50 delivered.

(2Pcs 12V Universal Carbon Fiber Auto Car Seat Heating Heated Pad Heater Warmer | eBay)

Today we have been testing them on the workbench (ok, the kitchen surface), and they seem to work really well. The power consumption is approx 25W, so an hour or so in the evening should not kill the leisure battery too much.

Here’s one being tested. We just need to wrap them in something suitably robust, maybe with insulation on the bottom, and fleece on the top, and then add a 12v outlet at floor level for them to plug into.

Pete
View attachment 32638

Finally got around to making these into something usable. We put each heated pad into a sleeve which my wife made from spare fleece she had lying around. On the underside of the pad, we put a piece of cut down old camping mat which was also lying around - this insulates the heater element from the van floor. I added a connector which was also in the spares drawer.
Probably a bit over the top, but since when has that stopped us modifying our vans ;). And they cost £7.50.

Pete

IMG_7939.jpeg

Back