What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

It looks great with the new heigth!

Do you bought a complet kit (spring + sock absober)? It has really gone down 60mm or more?
The kit is a completely matched shock and spring set up. Engineered by H&R using upside down shock technology . amazing kit and well priced compared to some of the nonsense on the market . , it does 50 to 80 mm and the 60 mm set on this van is the perfect height for comfort , practicality and handling .

20201112_153507.jpg20201112_153523.jpg
As a nod to the California, attached a pair of decals from Beatnik to my humble Trendline.
Gun metal grey against the Starlight Blue looks pretty good imo.
Also gave a pair of oem roofbars from fleabay a good scrub prior to fitting tomorrow. Not bad for £25

Picked up a stone chip right in the middle of my windscreen today. :mad: There are the very beginnings of a crack, so fingers crossed it can be repaired, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not driving anywhere in it until the windscreen man comes on Monday.

Made a bit more progress with the leisure setup changes today. Spent a fair bit of time head scratching trying to work out the optimal way to get everything to fit without having to change the existing cable from the starter battery. It had been cut to length for the CTEK with very little wiggle room to relocate. Coupled with the way the cable entry works on the Renogy this limited my options. I also ideally wanted to be able to see the LEDs on both the Renogy unit and on the fuse panel and be able to change a fuse if necessary without having to remove the driver seat. Once I figured out where to put them, i then spent longer than it should have taken making a suitable mounting board. I need to make a longer cable to feed the leisure battery but didn’t have any 16mm cable so will wait for that to arrive before finishing it off.

818B1DF1-3220-43BD-848B-2525F06E8F84.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Picked up a stone chip right in the middle of my windscreen today. :mad: There are the very beginnings of a crack, so fingers crossed it can be repaired, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not driving anywhere in it until the windscreen man comes on Monday.
Wow! You got an appointment quickly! I had to wait three weeks! Got the job done and the very next day, a lorry threw a stone up and chipped the window right in my sight line! I was soooo pee’d off!

Made a bit more progress with the leisure setup changes today. Spent a fair bit of time head scratching trying to work out the optimal way to get everything to fit without having to change the existing cable from the starter battery. It had been cut to length for the CTEK with very little wiggle room to relocate. Coupled with the way the cable entry works on the Renogy this limited my options. I also ideally wanted to be able to see the LEDs on both the Renogy unit and on the fuse panel and be able to change a fuse if necessary without having to remove the driver seat. Once I figured out where to put them, i then spent longer than it should have taken making a suitable mounting board. I need to make a longer cable to feed the leisure battery but didn’t have any 16mm cable so will wait for that to arrive before finishing it off.

View attachment 91543
Looks very neat. Leasure battery on my list.

Watch that live terminal next to all that metal work.:eek:o_O

I think that I would try to look for another terminal type and connector. In the situation above I would also try to line all adjacent metal work with at least insulation tape or some other thiker insulant. Even ply line it, anything. If it touched, "bang" It could happen after a collision, occupants may not be able to get out for one reason or other and a fire could make things very desperate. Also it is not unheard of for someone to try and remove the positive first and that could be very nasty.

Reactions: JOG
I think that I would try to look for another terminal type and connector. In the situation above I would also try to line all adjacent metal work with at least insulation tape or some other thiker insulant. Even ply line it, anything. If it touched, "bang" It could happen after a collision, occupants may not be able to get out for one reason or other and a fire could make things very desperate. Also it is not unheard of for someone to try and remove the positive first and that could be very nasty.
Now I’m scared! Very valid points though and whacking some sort of insulation on that steel is an easy start.

Now I’m scared! Very valid points though and whacking some sort of insulation on that steel is an easy start.
Like almost everyone on here I knew to always remove the -ve terminal first. On one occasion only ever, I failed to do that. I had been wiring up a Walas Cooker into a 24V Landrover 101 Forward Control Radio Body some time in the early 1990s and had not completely finished the job. We where about to go away on an Off Road Holiday. The other half asked if I had connected it up yet because we should have been away. In the haste I did things the wrong way around and I knew it but carried on anyway. So very carefully I cradled the spanner with my fist in such a way so as not to earth the spanner out on the aluminium battery box.

All of a sudden, was a huge explosion, smoke filled the vehicle. I smashed my head on the roof and smoke was coming from my finger! At first there was a huge amount of pain, then just as suddenly as it came, it stopped. I ran into the house, my wife was extremely concerned as I bounced against the walls f--- ing and b----ing on the way to the bathroom to poor cold water over my hand. There was smoke still coming off my finger in the bathroom before I washed it down. I had also burnt my lip because I instinctively brought my burning finger to my mouth, it was a reaction reflex

My wedding ring which I had forgotten about, was almost but not quiet cut right open by the electric current. My finger was a mess I could see the flexor tendons underneath the sloughy mess and an almost circumferential electric burn to my ring finger. I was in complete shock, my wife wanted to drive me to the hospital but I knew I had to get the ring off so I tried to cut it off with a hack saw. I did not manage it. Instead I went to the hospital saw all the guys and gals in casualty who I knew very well. It was all a big joke to me and to them until the self applied dressing was removed. The Cas officer was shocked and the charge nurse said that he would admit me for surgery now! Even though I could see the damage and cognitively I knew what that meant with the burn especially as it was circumferential, I just could not accept it. It was a very weird thing like watching a film, it was so unreal.

Anyway I was admitted but I discharged myself in the night. Stuff this I thought. I knew and was told I would very likely loose my finger. However I also had confidence in my own recovery. I very rarely scar and heal from wounds exceptional quickly. My main concern was circulation and infection. I Went to my GP who dressed it daily and so it healed. The GP later told me years later that she fear the loss of the finger and gangrene which I know as I have seen it so many times is not very pleasant to say the least.

My wedding ring is now cut right across, I was a fascination for some time with my friends at the hospital and after 30 years I only have slight scaring on a finger that was nearly blown off. Physically that is it! On the other foot however
physiologically, that was another matter, it cause long term fear avoidance of anything electrical certainly on a vehicle. Which is very weird. Even now I double check everything and I have even rapped insulation tape completely around a socket wrench and still feel extremely uncomfortable and sweat when undoing battery terminals.

If I see anyone warring a ring who is working on electrics, I will always advise them to take it off or rap insulation tape around the ring and then I worry about them. Why because very few males listen, they beleive it wont happen to them. they just laugh and carry on.

Like almost everyone on here I knew to always remove the -ve terminal first. On one occasion only ever, I failed to do that. I had been wiring up a Walas Cooker into a 24V Landrover 101 Forward Control Radio Body some time in the early 1990s and had not completely finished the job. We where about to go away on an Off Road Holiday. The other half asked if I had connected it up yet because we should have been away. In the haste I did things the wrong way around and I knew it but carried on anyway. So very carefully I cradled the spanner with my fist in such a way so as not to earth the spanner out on the aluminium battery box.

All of a sudden, was a huge explosion, smoke filled the vehicle. I smashed my head on the roof and smoke was coming from my finger! At first there was a huge amount of pain, then just as suddenly as it came, it stopped. I ran into the house, my wife was extremely concerned as I bounced against the walls f--- ing and b----ing on the way to the bathroom to poor cold water over my hand. There was smoke still coming off my finger in the bathroom before I washed it down. I had also burnt my lip because I instinctively brought my burning finger to my mouth, it was a reaction reflex

My wedding ring which I had forgotten about, was almost but not quiet cut right open by the electric current. My finger was a mess I could see the flexor tendons underneath the sloughy mess and an almost circumferential electric burn to my ring finger. I was in complete shock, my wife wanted to drive me to the hospital but I knew I had to get the ring off so I tried to cut it off with a hack saw. I did not manage it. Instead I went to the hospital saw all the guys and gals in casualty who I knew very well. It was all a big joke to me and to them until the self applied dressing was removed. The Cas officer was shocked and the charge nurse said that he would admit me for surgery now! Even though I could see the damage and cognitively I knew what that meant with the burn especially as it was circumferential, I just could not accept it. It was a very weird thing like watching a film, it was so unreal.

Anyway I was admitted but I discharged myself in the night. Stuff this I thought. I knew and was told I would very likely loose my finger. However I also had confidence in my own recovery. I very rarely scar and heal from wounds exceptional quickly. My main concern was circulation and infection. I Went to my GP who dressed it daily and so it healed. The GP later told me years later that she fear the loss of the finger and gangrene which I know as I have seen it so many times is not very pleasant to say the least.

My wedding ring is now cut right across, I was a fascination for some time with my friends at the hospital and after 30 years I only have slight scaring on a finger that was nearly blown off. Physically that is it! On the other foot however
physiologically, that was another matter, it cause long term fear avoidance of anything electrical certainly on a vehicle. Which is very weird. Even now I double check everything and I have even rapped insulation tape completely around a socket wrench and still feel extremely uncomfortable and sweat when undoing battery terminals.

If I see anyone warring a ring who is working on electrics, I will always advise them to take it off or rap insulation tape around the ring and then I worry about them. Why because very few males listen, they beleive it wont happen to them. they just laugh and carry on.
You were SO lucky. You must have cauterised the nerves when you experienced extreme pain and then no pain.

What a real reminder for people that the little battery packs a deadly punch when we're playing with electrical fleabay toys on our vans.

Forget whether it was Jason or Freddie on Friday 13th - you win the scariest Friday 13th story award!

Thanks guys.
The terminal isn’t as close as its appears in the picture. There is also a plastic cover which fits over the top of it. The terminal still protrudes a little but there is a good level of protection from the cover. Ideally i want to fit one of those flexible plastic boots over it but haven’t found one that fits that terminal as yet. The smaller red cable you can see in the picture isn’t finished yet either. It will have heat shrink over the crimp terminal, again giving a little more protection. I also plan to move the battery slightly to the passenger side moving the negative connection closer to the seat base but the positive slightly further away. There is no chance the battery will move once it is finally located, it is held in place on a proper battery tray and clamped in position.

I hadn’t realised how out of focus the picture was either, I’ll try and take some better ones once i get it finished

P.S. My wedding ring is made of silicon
B9BA775E-6544-4386-B919-A1B82B1FC86F.jpeg

I am happy to hear that you will try to move the battery +ve terminal further away from the metallic seat casing. My batteries were not any closer, I do not know why manufacturers do not encase batteries into plastic or some other form of electrical insulated box. It would be much safer and might help with thermal insulation also. The additional terminal could be insulated. Pure silicon at normal room temperatures can be regarded as an insulator however one ought not to assume that silicone products are pure and silicon is use in semi conductors when certain minerals or metals are added to it to enhance or change its properties. Any way, keep safe.

A much more common incident with rings, is de-gloving. Not quite as common today because their are fewer flatbed lorries. It was not uncommon for lorry drivers to jump down from a flatbed after checking a load while holding on to part of the structure to slow and steady their decent. Rings occasionally became caught and held fast while the person continued to descend. The result was skinning or de-gloving of the finger. Just like a skinned banana. Sometimes a driver would be hung up on the end of a trailer until someone helped to get them down This injury often enough resulted in amputations years ago.

You were SO lucky. You must have cauterised the nerves when you experienced extreme pain and then no pain.

What a real reminder for people that the little battery packs a deadly punch when we're playing with electrical fleabay toys on our vans.

Forget whether it was Jason or Freddie on Friday 13th - you win the scariest Friday 13th story award!
I was very lucky indeed. There are many possible scenarios pertaining to that particular indecent. Denervation leading to some form of paralysis or loss in sensation, infection, gangrene, amputation and so on. Batteries hold so much energy and a fast de-charge very startling. Some people use them for welding. Anyway OK now but my repeated looking and confirming of battery polarity must amuse some. I always doubt my finding and every time I do anything connected to even the same battery I have to repeatedly satisfy myself which end is which. :rofl:

just dropped mine off for,

sunstrip, slight tint on driver and passenger windows, chrome delete on badgless grill and black vynl on the door frame between the door windows and kombi windows.:cool:

I've done absolutely nothing. As it in with VW for egr flush, driveshaft oil leak and replacment underbody trims. ( wife likes splashing in the puddles and ripped them off)

Back