What Have You Been Listening To Today?

Went to see the UK Pink Floyd Experience last night at the Cliffs in Southend - great tribute act, instrumentally almost indistinguishable from the real Floyd, also the singer who covered The Great Gig In The Sky was truly outstanding - note perfect, well recommended for a fabulous evenings gigging.....

Went to see the UK Pink Floyd Experience last night at the Cliffs in Southend - great tribute act, instrumentally almost indistinguishable from the real Floyd, also the singer who covered The Great Gig In The Sky was truly outstanding - note perfect, well recommended for a fabulous evenings gigging.....
I saw Think Floyd a few years back. They were very good too.

Danny Robins has a new (I didn't hear it last year) series.

Its a super natural (kind of) true life story about a haunted house in Wales.

Danny has a few series like this, his first was about a house in London, and his second was a series of short stories, a different story in each episode. I love this sort of stuff, especially as they describe old houses which you can find on Side by Side maps (a great resource which the National Library os Scotland have), where you can look at a current map and compare against older maps.

Incidentally there was a piece on BBC News this week about a jigsaw piece woodland outside Jedburgh, which I then found on NLS maps.

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 17.48.06.png

A great feature is also Lidar mapping of the ground, great over old woodlands which still have older features not ploughed out by modern agriculture.

My music taste varies based on my current mood. When I'm feeling stressed, I find that listening to music that matches my current state of mind, such as Mindless Self Indulgence, can be a helpful distraction. However, my personal favorites are metal, Wilbur soot, and classical music, which I find enjoyable to listen to regardless of my mood. Whether I'm feeling upbeat or down, these genres always seem to resonate with me the most.

O2 Ritz tonight, floor doesn't seem as bouncy as I remember.

Black Star Riders, superb show. However I can see why Mr Gorham has stepped back from full time touring, age catches up with all of us, but bloody hell he still has it.

DSC_5856.JPG

Too late to see Phil Campbell and his b*****d Sons, but caught Michael Monroe. Makeup was plastered on and he must be knocking on a bit, but put on a great show.

DSC_5855.JPG

DSC_5855.JPG

O2 Ritz tonight, floor doesn't seem as bouncy as I remember.

Black Star Riders, superb show. However I can see why Mr Gorham has stepped back from full time touring, age catches up with all of us, but bloody hell he still has it.

View attachment 188815

Too late to see Phil Campbell and his b*****d Sons, but caught Michael Monroe. Makeup was plastered on and he must be knocking on a bit, but put on a great show.

View attachment 188816

View attachment 188817
Not been to the Ritz for many years. I used to go there when I was a teen/early 20's, so early to mid 80's. Monday nights I think it was. 50p entry which included a bottle of Holsten piss.

Strangely though, I have only ever seen one band there and that was The Mission and that was also many moons ago.

Last time I was there was around '96 on a stag do. A rather large and not particularly attractive lady started chatting me up. She had the best chat up line. She said "What looks like an elephant but f***s like a tiger?" Followed by winking at me. Her chat up line, whilst good, failed!

VDUBRADIO
I’ve not listened to this in a long while, then seen it advertised in a VWBUS mag, good tunes , and not much talking
70457FA2-59D3-4B1D-BE3C-F3C593E979A7.jpeg

Listening, at this exact moment, to Kerala Dust and the smouldering stomper track Violet Drive, did I mention well thumpy?
The rest of the album is 6 Music territory and worthy enough, next album is Optical Delusion by Orbital, rave time capsule that feels like about early to mid 90s, reminds of Underworld and Bedrock track "For What You Dream Of" I likes!

I mostly listen to Anjunabeats but this morning a mate put a picture up on FB of a valley in the mist from beside a large tree. That reminded me of Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds, which I'm now listening to again!

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 09.52.08.png

I'm actually not listening to any song right now, I'm listening to a podcast (shoutout to Bill Burr) but I was listening to some music earlier. The last song I listened to was Potato Salad -SSSniperwolf and A$AP Rocky. It's a nice song. To me, it's relaxing or chilling. It has a nice instrumental a great flow and some pretty interesting lyricism. It is basically just Tyler and A$AP bragging but sometimes songs are basic like that. The music video as well is nicely done.

@kjohnr2001. Totally agree. As a guitarist of some 50 years standing, I've always idolised Jimmy Page and love the way he sometimes seems to attack his guitar rather than simply playing it but IMHO both he and Plant had the unfortunate habit of disappearing up their own 4rses a bit too often.

On my third listen in 2 days of Empire and Dance by Simple Minds. I have it on vinyl and not listened to it for a long time. Not really a fan of SM but this, their first album (I think) is great. Really took me back to my youth.

Back