In my panel there is only two symbols: either ventilation (blower only as in the linked picture) or cabin heating (heater symbol). The engine heating is not indicated any way in the panel. Does this make sense? Perhaps you could post a picture of your manual and symbols of the control panel.
Will do it this afternoon, but manual is in german.

Will do it this afternoon, but manual is in german.
German is not a problem ;). Just came into my mind that do you actually have two heaters - one for the engine and an (air-)heater for the cabin only. I think then the roof panel would control only the cabin heating - anyways the panel should trigger cabin heating just by pushing the button.

German is not a problem ;). Just came into my mind that do you actually have two heaters - one for the engine and an (air-)heater for the cabin only. I think then the roof panel would control only the cabin heating - anyways the panel should trigger cabin heating just by pushing the button.

So I had a play, if I push on it comes on, when I try the pre programming I get this symbol in the photo. I'm positive I had the fan symbol As well in the past. Tbh I absolutely hate the control panel as its not user friendly and the process isn't the easiest, I'm probably too stupid. ;)

Anyway here are the labels on the door.

I'm guessing I'm not reading the manual properly as I expected the engine coolant to also be heated in addition to the seperate cabin heating.

IMG_20191103_104155.jpg

IMG_20191103_104552.jpg

Last edited:
So I had a play, if I push on it comes on, when I try the pre programming I get this symbol in the photo. I'm positive I had the fan symbol As well in the past. Tbh I absolutely hate the control panel as its not user friendly and the process isn't the easiest, I'm probably too stupid. ;)
Yes, I do agree that the user interface is a bit clumsy. Fortunately, once you get them right, it's then just on/off button needed. I think it is similar to mine so it has either fan or heat modes for the cabin. Need to use arrow up/down buttons to browse the selections.

EDIT: I believe the coolant heater (Webasto) on yours is totally independent of this control panel and only works when engine is running :unsure:.

Last edited:
At least the starting temperature can be tweaked by adaptation channels:
IDE06690-MAS05059-Auxil. heat control parameters-Lower temperature threshold: ambient temperature 5.0 °C
IDE06690-MAS05060-Auxil. heat control parameters-Upper temperature threshold: ambient temperature 12.0 °C​

More ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
and ---> Webasto Aux/parking (water) Heater Configuration With Vcds

Thanks. I am wanting to heat a rear heat exchanger when camping. Just figured it might be better to not keep heating the engine while I have a shower. I think I need to work through the entire heating circuit to see what I need to swap/change to isolate the engine but keep the header tank.

I really want to get this working on my 2016 T6 Shuttle!

Is it possible to do this by simply adding the Telestart T91 module 5Q0 963 513 A (plus a remote control) and using the coding method you mention?

What tools do I need to do this and do I need to run additional wires from under the seat (red connector) to the heater controls if I have the Climatronic Heater / Air Conditioning control?

Looking at the T91 Modules listed on eBay they seem to suggest I need to check the Webasto part number of my heater (needs to be 5Q0898008 X) to check it has the X in the part number too?

You don't need special kit to upgrade Engine Heater to Parking Heater.
In my Transporter T6 / Multivan Diesel with Engine Heater 7E0 963 273 A, I update software using ODIS with firmware FL_7E0963272B_0009 ( dedicated for Parking Heater 7E0 963 272 B) and in this way Engine Heater has been unlocked and now working as a fully Webasto Parking Heater.
I added Telestart T91 LIN module (5Q0 963 513 A) and changed coding from 4101 to 5901 - and now remote control working.
Address 18: Aux. Heat (J364) Labels:| 7E0-963-27X-18.c
Part No SW: 7E0 963 272 B HW: 7E0 963 273 A <- after update
Component: STH-T5GP2 003 0009
Coding: 5901 <- new coding (old was 4101)

If someone need help I will be glad to help you.

climatronic.png

image001.jpg

If I have captured this correctly there are two different ways to turn T6 engine supplementary engine heater to a remote controlled parking heater.

(A) - Reprogram the heater using tools+firmware provided by Webasto and use a remote control receiver + remote controller packaged by Webasto. The package+installation were described in thread https://www.t6forum.com/threads/auxiliary-heat-upgrade.5029/ and also on pages 1-2 of this thread.

-------------------------- or --------------------------

(B) - Use VW OEM components and firmware to implement/add parking heater functionality on T6 (as from the factory on the vans in Nordic countries) as described on pages 4-5 of this thread ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing .

A recap of the procedure below. Credits: @wolny and @James fitch
For this functionality early T6s have remote control receiver 5Q0 963 513 A (with oval remote controller). From MY2017 onwards remote control receiver 3Q0 963 513 is used (square remote, as in the picture --> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing )
The actual heater is identified on front door sticker with part# 5Q0.010.014.D(=sticker part#) (also the Nordic ones). However, when read (from controller 18) by diagnostic tool the identifier is HW: 7E0 963 273A or 7E0 963 272 A/B (Nordic ones).

It seems that @wolny also has Climatronic A/C so based on the posts above the following steps are needed when using OEM components for a van equipped with Climatronic:​
(1) Reprogram the Webasto controller using ODIS or VCP with VW OEM firmware "FL_7E0963272B__0009.frf", which is available at ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
(2) Change Webasto coding to 5001 (Remote+Fresh air blower control via CAN) --> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
(3) Add a wire from remote control receiver (5Q0963513A or 3Q0963513) connector [A2_pin_2] to red connector [T17p_pin_1] (under left seat; there should be a green/white wire on Webasto side of the connector). Also wire permanent +12V, ground, aerial to remote control receiver. See details in the schematics ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing and in the picture ---> Auxiliary heat upgrade
(4) If not already done, pair the remote with the receiver as described in (under T91) ---> Fuse Layout Under Nsf Seat
When remote is paired/communicating pressing OFF results a steady red light on the remote. On a non-paired remote pressing OFF flashes red.​

I do hope recapped this correctly, any wrongs or hiccups, please correct!​

Last edited:
Thanks @mmi and definitely credit to @wolny & @James fitch !

I would prefer to go with option B using VW hardware and, as far as I understand it, just reprogramming the firmware of the controller (not the complete AC system)

So, does it matter which controller I purchase : 5Q0963513A or 3Q0963513 ?

Thanks @mmi and definitely credit to @wolny & @James fitch !

I would prefer to go with option B using VW hardware and, as far as I understand it, just reprogramming the firmware of the controller (not the complete AC system)

So, does it matter which controller I purchase : 5Q0963513A or 3Q0963513 ?
Yes, thanks to the pioneers it seems to be a simple firmware update to heater controller. All the details after the modification match what I have on my van (though Climatic).

My old MY16 van had the 5Q0... and now MY18 has 3Q0...but the actual heaters were down to details the same, so either one. It seems that the newer 3Q0963513 is less expensive and widely available as new, also if an additional remote is needed (VW part# 3G0 963 511 A or B) for the new they seem to be less expensive (eBay). Just make sure to get the complete package: remote, aerial and the wiring loom/connector.

Agreed, it seems the newer model controller is cheaper, I think I have found a complete kit with controller, remote, antenna & cable for roughly 130Euro / 110GBP

Slightly nervous about doing the software side of things plus I need to work out which OBD hardware and software to invest in too?

If I have captured this correctly there are two different ways to turn T6 engine supplementary engine heater to a remote controlled parking heater.

(A) - Reprogram the heater using tools+firmware provided by Webasto and use a remote control receiver + remote controller packaged by Webasto. The package+installation were described in thread https://www.t6forum.com/threads/auxiliary-heat-upgrade.5029/ and also on pages 1-2 of this thread.

-------------------------- or --------------------------

(B) - Use VW OEM components and firmware to implement/add parking heater functionality on T6 (as from the factory on the vans in Nordic countries) as described on pages 4-5 of this thread ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing .

A recap of the procedure below. Credits: @wolny and @James fitch
For this functionality early T6s have remote control receiver 5Q0 963 513 A (with oval remote controller). From MY2017 onwards remote control receiver 3Q0 963 513 is used (square remote, as in the picture --> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing )
The actual heater is identified on front door sticker with part# 5Q0.010.014.D (also the Nordic ones). However, when read (from controller 18) by diagnostic tool the identifier is HW: 7E0 963 273A or 7E0 963 272 A/B (Nordic ones).

It seems that @wolny also has Climatronic A/C so based on the posts above the following steps are needed when using OEM components for a van equipped with Climatronic:​
(1) Reprogram the Webasto controller using ODIS or VCP with VW OEM firmware "FL_7E0963272B__0009.frf", which is available at ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
(2) Change Webasto coding to 5001 (Remote+Fresh air blower control via CAN) --> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
(3) Add a wire from remote control receiver (5Q0963513A or 3Q0963513) connector [A2_pin_2] to red connector [T17p_pin_1] (under left seat; there should be a green/white wire on Webasto side of the connector). Also wire permanent +12V, ground, aerial to remote control receiver. See details in the schematics ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing and in the picture ---> Auxiliary heat upgrade
(4) If not already done, pair the remote with the receiver as described in (under T91) ---> https://www.t6forum.com/threads/fuse-layout-under-nsf-seat.15898/#post-220633
When remote is paired/communicating pressing OFF results a steady red light on the remote. On a non-paired remote pressing OFF flashes red.​

I do hope recapped this correctly, any wrongs or hiccups, please correct!​
Impressive summary @mmi !:)
Top work as usual.:thumbsup:
Below is the video of a (B option)

I already found all components for €85=£73(could be even cheaper:whistle: ) so I am not going to hesitate ;)

Reactions: mmi
Below is the video of a (B option)
I think on the video they didn't use controller 5Q0963513A. The remote (see left button) and it's functionality looks like of older T91's - see ---> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
upload_2019-12-29_19-28-45.png
On some other VAG platforms the old remote+controller allows to alter some heater settings by doing fancy sequences on the remote: heating time, mode heating/ventilation. Not sure if that would work on T6 :speechless:

I already found all components for €85=£73(could be even cheaper:whistle: ) so I am not going to hesitate
I think you should invest the savings on VW OEM Webasto overhead control panel - it has a timer to turn on the Webasto - no need to press button on the remote :) ---> Webasto Aux/parking (water) Heater Configuration With Vcds

Is the 17 pin red connector under the drivers or passenger seat (UK right hand drive) ?

I have found a red connector under the passenger seat which appears to have a green/white wire on one side of the connector and no connection on the other - I guess this is the cable I connect to the T91 module?

Under the drivers seat there are no red connectors as far as I can tell

There should be a 17 pin red plug under your drivers seat ,which is the loom from the from the auxiliary heater .my kit instructions are for a left had drive .I think you only have 3 wires to connect when it is clamatronic .
The remote turns the heater on ,then a short delay the the dash fan will turn on and blow warm air at the windscreen .

IMG_5932 copy.jpg

IMG_5933 copy.jpg

Would also just like to confirm the pin outs on the T91 Module are as labelled in the picture :

01 - Gnd
02 - ?
03 - ?
04 - ?
05 - W-Bus
06 - +Ve (to T91 module)

IMG_5934 copy 2.jpg

The above wiring description is incorrect.
The correct is as follows below:
1 - (+12V DC)
2 - LIN BUS
3 - none/blank
4 - none/blank
5 - none/blank
6 - GND (0V DC)

Thanks @Robert - I was just looking at another diagram and thought I may have it back to front !

Updated the diagram below

Any thoughts on the cabling under the seat (red connector) ?

IMG_5935 copy.jpg

Is the 17 pin red connector under the drivers or passenger seat (UK right hand drive) ?

I have found a red connector under the passenger seat which appears to have a green/white wire on one side of the connector and no connection on the other - I guess this is the cable I connect to the T91 module?

Under the drivers seat there are no red connectors as far as I can tell

View attachment 57793

View attachment 57794
What pin number is the green/white cable sitting in? And how many pins is there on that red connector altogether?

Back