I did ask the seller specifically about the T91 for a T6 Transporter and they seemed convinced I had to check my Webasto for the X at the end - if I had that then they had the correct T91 for my system.

I will get one and try ASAP!

Part number 5Q0010014D is actual part number for a door sticker.:laugh:

And there is no Webasto heating with X at the end of its own part number. I agree with @mmi that this X can represent any letter or none.

Reactions: mmi
Are you sure that it is a T91R remote - it looks like a T91 to me. Open the battery compartment and if you are lucky the model no. will be in there on a sticker. The second one with the white casing looks like a T91R

View attachment 57981
View attachment 57982

I have a couple of the latest model ones if you want to try one.

So, I also need to find out if I need a W-Bus or Lin Bus signal to operate my heater (I presume the 12v output os for the older pre-digital systems) ?

I am not familiar with the water heaters - I only deal with air ones but I understand that if you have the water heater factory fitted it will be tied into the van via LIN-bus, aftermarket you will use W-bus and communicate directly with the heater. As to whether the LIN-bus version can be operated with W-bus independent of the vehicle is something others may know. ( I am too old to start with the water heaters now! )
Yes, the 12v output is for old heaters.

Thanks @oldiebut goodie - I 'think' I may have a W-Bus controller and I actually need the LIN-bus (as we are trying to do this with VW coding / software)

Do you have a LIN-bus controller I could try / buy ?

Thanks @mmi - I just confirmed this

removed the power to the T91 module and the remote light went amber then flashing green (when pressing ON)

Re-connected the power to the T91 and the remote light goes amber and then steady green (when pressing ON) so looks like they remote and module are now paired

I 'think' I must just have the wrong T91 module...

I think I have seen a similar/same advert with mention of must have ending X. However there Webasto part# was for Golf/Passat. To me it seemed there was a mixup of the "X" - actually meaning the suffix can be anything (even empty) but the Webasto part# is the significant. I'm not aware that the suffix would define such a critical feature. I'm afraid that there even does not exist any Webasto that would have part number with suffix X.

I'd also like also to think that the remote is not issue. Steady green or red means it has established communication. You can verify that easily - just remove the fuse of the controller - you will get again flashing red/green.

Put the fuse back - wait 30 secs (just not to resync) before pressing a button. Steady again.

Just checked through what I have - I only have one T91 and that should be W-bus.
Has your Telestart got T91LIN on the label- top right hand corner? ( can't see the label) It should have if it is correct otherwise it is most probably W-bus.

Was yours bought second hand with remnants of wiring to the plug - if so was it wired to pins 1, 5 and 6 with pin 5 a yellow wire - if it was it would have been used on W-bus.

Purchased second hand but didn’t come with wiring, I made the loom myself but now have a genuine loom too

Here is a photo of the top, there is no mention of T91LIN...

View attachment 58052
It's the one which is installed on T6 starting MY17 - the same as I have - and it connects just fine with Webasto.
So the remote is this one? Under battery cover part no 3G0 963 511.
upload_2020-1-11_17-45-34.jpeg

Here are the details of a MY17 T6. I'd say that can't get any closer. Important bits bolded as per--> Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing

Address 18: Aux. Heat (J364) Labels: 7E0-963-27X-18.clb
Part No SW: 7E0 963 272 B HW: 7E0 963 272 B <--- After flashing you should have the same SW ...272B, it was not shown on any of the pics, just the HW. For the HW see Webasto Auxiliary Heater - customizing
Component: STH-T5GP2 003 0009 <--- This was shown on a pic.
Coding: 5801

Remote Control Auxiliary Heater:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 3Q0 963 513 HW: 3Q0 963 513
Component: R64 D208L 004 0401 <--- HW=004, SW 0401 the same as on yours.
The 5Q0.963.513 A was also used on T6 MY16 with the same Webasto with the same software SW: 7E0 963 272 B, a scan below.

A copy from previous page of a MY16 T6 but having 5Q0-remote controller

Address 18: Aux. Heat (J364) Labels:| 7E0-963-27X-18.clb
Part No SW: 7E0 963 272 B HW: 7E0 963 272 A
Component: STH-T5GP2 002 0009
Coding: 5801

Remote Control Auxiliary Heater:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5Q0 963 513 A HW: 5Q0 963 513 A
Component: R149 T91-LIN 003 0301
So based on the two scans above I'd like to say both remote controllers 3Q0- or 5Q0- should work. A bit confused here...

I'm now even more confused. Here are pictures of remotes I have. On the left (oval) from MY14 Golf, on the right (square) one from my T6 which is paired with controller 3Q0 963 513.
VW Webasto Remotes 1a.jpg
The confusion comes from that the oval from MY14 Golf absolutely can not pair with 3Q0 963 513. They do not transmit even on same frequency, their transmitted radio frequency modulation is not same, their data rate is not same, their message lenght is not same.

The confusion is not lessened that your remote is seemingly paired with the controller.

Also a bit confused with the tape "T91R" on the controller, is it from seller? I'm staring at the "STH" on factory sticker...

Interested to see what's the part no of the remote. It's in very fine print under the battery.
Webasto_T91R_remote_MY14_1a.jpg

Thanks @mmi - confused? You and me both !!

I’ll pop the battery out tomorrow and check the part number.

The seller put the T91R tape on the module, I have emailed him about the pairing problem but he was clueless!

I think he didn’t know what he was selling and probably, it’s not the correct module for me.

I’m struggling to find anyone selling these in the UK, I’m off on a trip on Wednesday and was hoping to have this working for that. All the Ebay sellers are outside the UK and probably can’t ship in time sadly..

Yes, your mention above of the suffix "X" - was it from that seller?
If Webasto part number 5Q0898008 X (X - any sign) - IT WILL FIT.
A check where that Webasto was installed
upload_2020-1-11_20-12-48.png
Appearance of the remote vs. my Golf (remote 7N0 963 511 + controller below). The "T91R" sticker on the controller. The successful pairing of the remote.
-------------------------------------------
Makes me wonder what's there in the box? Any signs of tampering? o_O
upload_2020-1-11_20-18-35.png

No, that was a different seller. They have the T91 module that says T91-LIN. Possibly the correct one for me.

No sign of tampering on the one I have howeve, the seller had more than one but knows nothing about them (which is kind of strange!)

Using the website above oemepc.com - I have looked up the following diagram for the T6 Auxiliary heater, I think I am even more confused now about which tele start module I need for my 2016 model!!

Telestart Part No. copy.png

Back