Victron Blue Smart 12V / 15A Charger - Fit next to battery?

markob

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Sorry if this has been answered before..

Is it possible to mount the above charger (or the 25a version) next to the main battery under the bonnet ?

They are IP65 rated - basically protected against dust and splashes - so that location should be suitable. But what about the AC input?

@Deaky has an ip65 fitted in the valence / plenum chamber, behind the battery. .. loads of room

Sure, there's a 15a blue smart for the leisure battery under the scuttle panel and a 4a tucked behind the starter battery. Both IP65 rated so fine for them to get a bit damp :p

View attachment 103250View attachment 103251
I have the 4A behind the battery as well - I think the 15A may be too deep to fit there.

( I’ve copiously copied @Deaky for my EHU, but I have the 15A blue smart for the leisure battery under the passenger seat)

simon

Looks like all the IP65 models are the same size (4A - 15A) enclosure.

more info here:

and @Deaky build here:

and,

1628054398131.png1628054407177.png

Looks like all the IP65 models are the same size (4A - 15A) enclosure.
They both have the same footprint size but the 15a is higher than the 4a. The 4a will sit behind the battery, I’m not sure whether the 15a will as I have both under the bonnet. I’ll dig some photos out later

Just a thought, would an alternative position for the charger be under the passenger seat and charge the main battery through the spare red cables under there?

I believe these are connected to the main battery through the E-Box with either a 50A or 100A fuse

I'm running an EHU from under the bonnet back to here anyway so will have power for the charger under the seat

Any disadvantages to doing it this way?

Back