VCDS beginner guides

huw169

Black 199 Shuttle
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all
I’m looking to do the MFSW mod soon, and need to do some coding. I’m looking to hire the group cable to do this.
I know what to code, or have it written down.
My issue is navigating the software and not arsing it up. Basics like taking a scan and storing it, then being able to revert it things not working out.
Are there any ‘Idiots guides’ or tutorials that you experienced users might be able to point me to so I can get my head around it?
Any pointers greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Have a look here --->

@mmi , If I were to go crazy and buy the cable from Gendan, can you confirm it is the HEX-V2 variant?
I saw its only £150 ($199) from USA, but the postage id a killer for such a small item.

Only thing that worries me about the group one is that it is an older cable and i've read on here that it may not be fully compatible with 2019 vans and newer, which mine is.
Thanks

@mmi , If I were to go crazy and buy the cable from Gendan, can you confirm it is the HEX-V2 variant?
I saw its only £150 ($199) from USA, but the postage id a killer for such a small item.

Only thing that worries me about the group one is that it is an older cable and i've read on here that it may not be fully compatible with 2019 vans and newer, which mine is.
Thanks
Yes, they are the HEX-V2.
1607285975973.png
Just to make your decision even more difficult - their pricing is interesting between 3 VIN and 10 VIN packages - as you can then update VINs directly from Ross-Tech at US$169/upgrade (from 3 VINs to 10, or 10 VINs to unlimited).

EDIT: When VIN license is used:

Anyways, the older cable should still work just fine on MY19 T6 as it is still the same old T6 built using the same components as all T6s. Then T6.1 is a different story as other new VAG vehicles.

Last edited:
Some more newby questions if I may.

My van is a 2019 Shuttle so SGJ Type, but 7 & 8th digits in VIN is 7H.
VCDS asks for chassis type, but 7H is 2003-2010, and SG is 2016+. So I selected SG.

I have done complete scan. Need to try the coding bit next. Scary stuff.....

Some more newby questions if I may.

My van is a 2019 Shuttle so SGJ Type, but 7 & 8th digits in VIN is 7H.
VCDS asks for chassis type, but 7H is 2003-2010, and SG is 2016+. So I selected SG.

I have done complete scan. Need to try the coding bit next. Scary stuff.....
Actually you get "better" results by letting VCDS to figure out your van's configuration - use "Auto-detect (CAN-only)".
Manual selection is needed only on older vehicles - which do not necessarily have all modules on CAN bus. Using manual selection might unnecessarily try to find modules your van doesn't even have - thus slowing down the scan.

Ahh, so just leave it and hit start. Never considered that. Saw a drop down menu and wanted to fiddle.
And now you mention it I can see the big obvious box telling me the same thing :rolleyes:
Thank you :thumbsup:

Reactions: mmi
And I had a youtube search and this is good, although he does talk and click fast.

have a look at this as a tutorial.

Thanks guys. Did my first little bit of long coding this morning. Changed the locks to auto when moving. Worked a treat.
Tried it with Carista, but it didn’t work.
Now tackling the MFSW, but might have bitten off more than I can chew:oops:

Reactions: mmi
I’m still poking around in VCDS cos I’m really surprised the 01 module can’t be coded.
Does anyone know what this security access does?
F5A797A3-2EC2-442B-8E27-8E7B0CEBC2B2.jpeg

Then you get this.
09AD3192-55C2-4D9F-876F-BDC08D2F8666.jpeg

Was really tempted, but didn’t hit the Do It button.
Thought I’d ask first.
Thanks

Enterring the security code is not always necessary for basic coding.
just be carefull what you change and make sure you save a scan before you do.

Back