T6.1 Tyre Pressure Monitoring System Activation (Indirect TPMS)

Pauly

VCDS User
Admin
This is the details for activating indirect TPMS on any T6.1 vehicle that didnt get it from the factory (huge credit to @mmi for his assistance on this)

Firstly we need to understand what TPMS is, there are two types :

Indirect TPMS - This uses the ABS sensors to measure wheel rotation speed and will give you a dash warning light if any one of the wheels starts to lose pressure (causing that wheel to rotate faster relative to the other wheels) no pressure measurement is taken from the tyres

Direct TPMS - This uses a sensor inside each wheel to directly measure the current tyre pressure and temperature and displays these values inside the vehicle, a drop in pressure in any wheel/s will trigger an alert on the instrument cluster and the infotainment screen

Secondly we need to take backups of the vehicle configuration before we begin, always always take a full scan of the vehicle and save somewhere safe so you have a baseline of settings and things can be reverted if needs be
T6.1s use adaptions channels more than ever as well as basic coding so its important to do a full auto scan AND admaps so you have all the info to fall back on, it does take a little while to complete these scans but it will be a well spent half hour if you run into problems in the future doing this or any other mod !

Last edited:
To activate TPMS we are going to start with module 03 ABS

Enter module 3 and then go into coding/long coding helper
In here we need to change the five values below, its important that all five are changed at the same time, changing them one at a time does not work and will generate an error
Byte 0 Bit 5 - 0
Byte 6 Bit 3 - 0
Byte 8 Bit 2 - 0
Byte 14 Bit 4 - 0
Byte 17 Bit 4 - 1

save the changes and exit
dont worry if faults appear they will sort them selves out when the rest of the programming is done

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now we are going to move on to module 17 instruments

Enter module 17 and then go into coding/long coding helper
Find Byte 4 Bit 0 and turn on (put a tick in the box)

Lastly is module 5F infotainment

Enter module 5F and then go into adaptions
All should show 'not active' so need to be changed to the below values (its quite a long list so use the search box to shortcut to 'rdk' and '0x07' channels)

ENG122227-ENG117541-Car_Function_Adaptions_Gen2-menu_display_rdk = activated
ENG122227-ENG117543-Car_Function_Adaptions_Gen2-menu_display_rdk_over_threshold_high = activated
ENG122229-ENG117704-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-tire_pressure_system_0x07 = activated
ENG122229-ENG117705-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-tire_pressure_system_0x07_msg_bus = Extended data bus

Thats it, everything can be saved and exited, after all changes are made reset any fault codes that are showing

If everything is carried out successfully then you should now have an extra slot in the vehicle menu for the TPMS system
All (cold) tyre pressures should be checked and adjusted as necessary then 'SET' option can be selected as per the picture below and thats it !

If you get any problems or are not sure on any of the steps or changes the feel free to post below and we should be able to help you out

Last edited:
Does anybody on the south coast have VCDS and able to fully understand the below comments? If so are you willing to help apply these settings to my van for beer money?

In here we need to change the five values below, its important that all five are changed at the same time, changing them one at a time does not work and will generate an error
Byte 0 Bit 5 - 0
Byte 6 Bit 3 - 0
Byte 8 Bit 2 - 0
Byte 14 Bit 4 - 0
Byte 17 Bit 4 - 1

dont worry if faults appear they will sort them selves out when the rest of the programming is done

All should show 'not active' so need to be changed to the below values (its quite a long list so use the search box to shortcut to 'rdk' and '0x07' channels)

ENG122227-ENG117543-Car_Function_Adaptions_Gen2-menu_display_rdk_over_threshold_high = activated
ENG122229-ENG117704-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-tire_pressure_system_0x07 = activated
ENG122229-ENG117705-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-tire_pressure_system_0x07_msg_bus = Extended data bus

Thats it, everything can be saved and exited, after all changes are made reset any fault codes that are showing

If so, please can you let me know?

Last edited:
This is the details for activating indirect TPMS on any T6.1 vehicle that didnt get it from the factory (huge credit to @mmi for his assistance on this)

Firstly we need to understand what TPMS is, there are two types :

Indirect TPMS - This uses the ABS sensors to measure wheel rotation speed and will give you a dash warning light if any one of the wheels starts to lose pressure (causing that wheel to rotate faster relative to the other wheels) no pressure measurement is taken from the tyres

Direct TPMS - This uses a sensor inside each wheel to directly measure the current tyre pressure and temperature and displays these values inside the vehicle, a drop in pressure in any wheel/s will trigger an alert on the instrument cluster and the infotainment screen

Secondly we need to take backups of the vehicle configuration before we begin, always always take a full scan of the vehicle and save somewhere safe so you have a baseline of settings and things can be reverted if needs be
T6.1s use adaptions channels more than ever as well as basic coding so its important to do a full auto scan AND admaps so you have all the info to fall back on, it does take a little while to complete these scans but it will be a well spent half hour if you run into problems in the future doing this or any other mod !
My T6.1 highline T26 2022 plate
Just been checking tyre pressure monit as thought it was standard on VW T6.1
But my scree shows nothing
When building van do you have to add?
Tyre pressure monitoring??

1A1C8F97-F5DF-4540-B532-ABB332A0F753.jpeg

Tyre pressure monitoring (indirect) is standard on kombis but not on panel vans, if yours is a panel van then its needs to be added as a chargeable option when placing the order, the good news is the above instructions will allow people to turn on TPMS on panel vans that missed it from the factory

I got a panel van(70) without this function. Is this indirect system a case of just changing codes and utilising the ABS or will I actually need to buy & fit additional hardware on top of the coding?. Either way, top work gents :thumbsup:

@Samro - London here, don't know how far that is from you bud

Just coding, no physical changes
Thanks
So that’s to activate ABS roll speed difference monitoring?
And how long would that take to get a person with the tool ti activate monitiring
Also if you have changed to alloys with other pressure say 20 inch low profile would that be an issue re ABS sensing system?

Thanks
So that’s to activate ABS roll speed difference monitoring?
And how long would that take to get a person with the tool ti activate monitiring
Also if you have changed to alloys with other pressure say 20 inch low profile would that be an issue re ABS sensing system?
Yes, the coding would take around a minute. Changing the wheels/tyres will require the rolling speeds to be re stored in the memory using the MFD in the van.

As above, the van doesnt directly measure pressure so no issues changing wheels/tyres you just need to 'save' the tyre pressures after a change

I got a panel van(70) without this function. Is this indirect system a case of just changing codes and utilising the ABS or will I actually need to buy & fit additional hardware on top of the coding?. Either way, top work gents :thumbsup:

@Samro - London here, don't know how far that is from you bud
I'm after a day out and London is only an hour away. Is that a genuine offer to give this a whirl?

Byte 0 Bit 5 - 0
Byte 6 Bit 3 - 0
Byte 8 Bit 2 - 0
Byte 14 Bit 4 - 0
Byte 17 Bit 4 - 1

Hi Pauly

I've just tried doing this tonight on my 72 plate transporter and can't get passed the first changes that need to be made in the ABS module. I change the values as instructed, then exit and click do it and it comes up with a error message saying "coding rejected, Error 31: request out of range"

Any ideas?

I'm after a day out and London is only an hour away. Is that a genuine offer to give this a whirl?
I've been so hectic that i've not even done it on mine yet. Chuck me a dm and we'll sort a date.

Hi Pauly

I've just tried doing this tonight on my 72 plate transporter and can't get passed the first changes that need to be made in the ABS module. I change the values as instructed, then exit and click do it and it comes up with a error message saying "coding rejected, Error 31: request out of range"

Any ideas?
Are you confident you are applying all 5 changes correctly and at the same time ?
Is it a genuine lead, used it before, took a full scan before starting etc etc ?

Are you confident you are applying all 5 changes correctly and at the same time ?
Is it a genuine lead, used it before, took a full scan before starting etc etc ?
Genuine lead, used it before. Sent you the originals scans of my vehicle actually. Not 100% confident I am applying all 5 changes correctly and at the same time to be honest. It didn’t give me the little tick boxes like it usually does in the long coding helper.

I remember needing bonnet open to apply some changes I made last year, does this apply to these?

I had another go at this today and still no joy. I get this message when entering the long coding helper. Do you get this message?

IMG_3065.jpg

Back