V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how dvla can class them as a motor caravan and bounce others that look more like a camper/motor caravan. There is no rhyme or reason to it if that is true.

New VW California is back to being classified as Motor Caravan. I think it went back to Motor Caravan in mid 2020.

I keep hearing / reading this but I have yet to see evidence of a new California being registered as a motor caravan. Completely contradicts the DVLA rationale for not registering converted transporters, caravelles, for transits etc.

Can anyone provide a copy of a log book?

What is the RFL fee for a Motor Caravan compared to a Van with windows as mentioned.
That all depends. If it’s a conversion that originally started out as a panel van, & has now been reclassified as a Motor Caravan, it retains its commercial panel van taxation class, i.e. £265. If it’s stills “van with windows, it still retains it’s original tax class. If it’s a California, it depends on purchase price & weight & could be around £500 give or take, I’m not 100% up on the Cali rates.

I am further confused, My 2014 Ducato Dethleffs Moho, sold last August was £285 If I remember correctly. Had it changed, to over 3500 KG and tax dropped to £165. Have taxed the T6 Tdi T30 Shuttle at £320. I looked at the Gov site and stated that the conversion had to be permanent, with a bed, cupboards, cooker and water supply. Irrelevant if it had a pop up, tent annex, insulated etc. I think there was mention of at least 1 window. Not sure now, anyways, no mention of the Fee difference. Changing the weight cost £120 so 2 years in and was quids in.

Hi, a little help required re the V5. I have recently received my V5 from the DVLA for my T6 which was converted to a campervan by a local company. He sent the docs off with photos etc as per changes to the use etc of the vehicle and the returned V5 in my name just states the Van as a VAN/SIDE WINDOWS?
I spoke to a guy at DVLA and he said because there is no significant changes to the outside of the van then that's why its not been amended to Campervan???
Does your V5 for a conversion state CAMPERVAN. The guy/ firm who converted the van has said this hasn't happened before so it seems I will now have to try and resubmit details to get the body type changed to Campervan. Suggestions please.
Bri

Hello
I've had the same problem, so I put rear windows in. And they still refused. Saying I need clear markings so the police can see that it is a campervan. I also installed an awning rail.
I've done everything on the check list now but my insurance company was happy with pictures of what I've done and insurance me as a campervan.
The DVLA are bastards.

1616663570554.jpeg
This Tourneo conversion by Wellhouse Leisure has just been registered as a Motor Caravan by the DVLA.

I'd love the DVLA to explain how this can be registered as a motor caravan when similar vehicles are VWSW.

Only two key differences I can see with this and other conversions:

1) It's a Tourneo conversion so it's going to be an M1 base but there's nothing in the DVLA guidance making this a factor in their decision making , which is all about the look of the vehicle.

2) It appears that this is converted before first registration but again, no mention of this in DVLA guidance which goes on about what it looks like in traffic etc.

So theoretically, according to the DVLA, it still wouldn't look like a motor caravan in traffic.

The only way this is going to change is if we all hammer our MP's and the Transport Secretary's office to get this changed. I've got my MP on board and can only keep trying for common sense to prevail.

I think you answered your own question with point 2. This is the same and the VW California. The builder/manufacturer has already applied for a vehicle type that the dealer enters when they register it.
All the issues arrise when you try to make changes.

I think you answered your own question with point 2. This is the same and the VW California. The builder/manufacturer has already applied for a vehicle type that the dealer enters when they register it.
All the issues arrise when you try to make changes.

Yes I get that but if the DVLA are stating that it comes down to how the vehicle looks like in traffic then it's flawed

I dont understand why people are still getting excited about this, it really doesnt matter - 'Body type' is for the benefit of the police, not the owner :thumbsup:

As my van is a motor caravan I qualified for motor home insurance with NFU after they got full details of the converters spec’ and checked it qualified.

But it is the unenlightened insurers that cause the problems not the ones that cover what the van actually is. This is my first van to be marked as a motor caravan on the reg docs, all my others were not but were still insured as motor caravans.
Hopefully even the stuck in the mud insurers will catch up to the situation with the dvla eventually and stop insisting on that wording on the V5.

Reactions: CAB
I dont understand why people are still getting excited about this, it really doesnt matter - 'Body type' is for the benefit of the police, not the owner :thumbsup:
Until you make an insurance claim and you get the money back for a van only

Reactions: DXX
Until you make an insurance claim and you get the money back for a van only
Have you actually made a claim on a campervan policy and had your insurance company treat your campervan as a plain van? What did your solicitor make of that? Did you involve the insurance ombudsman? Intrigued to know...
Cheers
Phil

No I done my homework before buying my van, I rang various different insurance companies to find out the differences in policy’s and that was why I looked and found my van which was down as a campervan on v5 but needed a bit of work

As I’m sure your aware insurance companies are not renown for there generosity and defo don’t wriggle out when they can

We've just been refused a campsite booking as our logbook hasn't been updated :(

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back