V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Further response form the DVSA,

Unfortunately, as we know from previous posts the DVLA will not be adjusting registration documents for 'window vans' even if they are converted and have a pop top. This issue here seems to me to be more with the fact that they are moving over to more automated ticketing and cameras and do not have the capability to be able to differentiate between what we know is a camper and what is a working van...

Will still wait to hear direct form DVLA / DfT

---

Good afternoon Mr. ********,

Thank you for your mail of the 2nd November to this department on the stated subject.

I can confirm that once the DVLA have confirmed that your vehicle meets their criteria as a Motor Caravan,(by issuing a new registration document) then the Motor Caravan speed limits will apply. However, you have made an assumption regarding the unladen weight of the vehicle that I need to clarify. For the purpose of the speed limit exemption, the unladen weight of the vehicle is taken as that of the completed vehicle, not the base vehicle. You will therefore have to weigh the vehicle once it is completed, to establish the actual unladen weight. From the information you have supplied, that appears to give you no more than 700kgs of spare capacity to complete the conversion. While this may sound a lot, in practice, when all the required elements are fitted in the vehicle to meet the DVLA definition of a Motor Caravan, this will not leave you with a great deal of spare capacity, given that the GVW is 3200kgs.

It should also be noted that most speed enforcement is now carried out by remote cameras, which are not able to determine if a vehicle meets the exemption criteria. You may therefore find that should you receive a speeding ticket, the onus will be on you to provide documentary evidence that you are entitled to the exemption, if you wish the exemption to be applied.

I do hope that you have found this information to be of use. However, if you feel that I can be of further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Interesting DVSA make reference to the weight of the completed vehicle. When I sent the photos and covering letter to to DVLA to get my van re registered as a motor caravan, there was no requirement to inform DVLA of the new unladen weight. The mass in service is listed on the new V5 but it remains unchanged from its original MPV Shuttle V5.

Interesting DVSA make reference to the weight of the completed vehicle. When I sent the photos and covering letter to to DVLA to get my van re registered as a motor caravan, there was no requirement to inform DVLA of the new unladen weight. The mass in service is listed on the new V5 but it remains unchanged from its original MPV Shuttle V5.
I made comment of weight in my email to them as unladen weight of my T32 is 2200kg and I was asking that, once converted, I would imagine that it would be less than 3000kg (maybe) and should this not also impact the speed limit...

it would be ok if dvsa actually replied to people.

maybe we should just start a whole new system for vehicles and not consult with any other department. it wont make much difference to whats actually happening now ha ha. such a joke. the system does not work

So the DVLA, the DVSA, the DFT and the police, between them, are unable or more likely unwilling to answer basic and necessary questions regarding the law, and what we have to do in order to keep our licences. This really is a case for judicial review - it is an abuse of power. It is the kind of thing that the caravan club etc should be getting involved with - members expect them to represent our interest. Either that or some brave soul needs to contest a NIP, and establish legal precedent going up to the high court. I'd be quite happy to help crowdfund such a case.

So another response to day from the DVLA... why should i have to contact the International Vehicle Standards???

talk about pass the buck...

Still waiting on DfT...

---
Dear Mr *****,

Thank you for your enquiry received on 29/10/2019.
Your case reference number is 01895739.

I apologise for the delay in our response. We are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries.

This is not something the DVLA deal with, you will need to contact International Vehicle Standards in this instance. They do not have a phone number but their details are:

Email: ivs.enquiries@dft.gov.uk
Post: International Vehicle Standards, Department for Transport, Zone 1/34, Great Minster House, 33 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 4DR

Vehicle safety standards information sheets

Please note that enquiries can take up to 20 working days to be answered.

I hope this information is of assistance to you and answers your entire enquiry.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form Link or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

Email DVLA

Best Regards

Last edited:
They can’t work out and publish the speed limits for a van, yet expect us to believe that they have sewn-up all this nation changing stuff that’s going at the moment ... really? Seems more like a stitch up to me.

Latest DVLA response on motor caravan classification, so no high top no luck. No real help...

---
Thank you for your enquiry received on 29/10/2019.
Your case reference number is xxxxxx

I apologise for the delay in our response. We are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries.

DVLA’s current policy for motor caravan conversions is that the body type must describe what a vehicle looks like in traffic. If the exterior of the vehicle does not look like a motor home, we will be unable to change the body type. However, vehicle keepers are still able to use the vehicle as a motor home.

DVLA will only consider changing the body type to ‘motor caravan’ (motorhome) if the vehicle meets the following three requirements:

1. The body type shown on your V5C Registration Certificate (logbook) is one of those shown in the list below.
  • Ambulance
  • Box Van
  • Goods
  • Insulated Van
  • Light Goods
  • Light Van
  • Livestock Carrier
  • Luton Van
  • Minibus
  • MPV (Multi-Purpose Vehicle)
  • Panel Van
  • Specially Fitted Van
  • Special Mobile Unit
  • Van with Side Windows
2. Motor caravan external permanent features.

3. Motor caravan internal features

For more information on external and internal features for motor caravan conversions can be found by searching Motor Home on GOV.UK.

In order to request the Body Type to be changed to 'Motor Caravan', please send the following to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA:

- V5C or V62 and Green New Keeper Slip or £25 fee
- Any changes recorded in the relevant section of the V5C
- Motor Caravan Conversion checklist (available via GOV.UK)
-Interior photographs of each of the required features with the bed and table deployed in the use position.Note: The photos must show that there are two or more windows providing daylight into the main living accommodation on at least one side of the main body.
- Exterior photographs from the front, both sides and rear with the registration plates clearly visible.
- Photograph showing the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN / Chassis Number) stamped on the plate attached to the original chassis or vehicle bodyshell.

On the back of each photograph, write a description of what the photograph shows, the date and the vehicle registration number.

The DVLA will consider all the information provided and will decide whether the body type must remain the same or an appropriate description based on the changes made will be allocated. Your vehicle may also require a DVLA inspection. If the vehicle cannot be inspected, the application will be refused and no further action will be taken.

Customers can download a guide to motor caravan conversions by searching Motor Home on GOV.UK.

You'll receive a response within 2-4 weeks.

Form V62 can be downloaded from www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration-certificate-v5c-log-book and is available from any taxing Post Office®

In answer to your question regarding speed limits, as mentioned in our previous email, you will have to contact the International Vehicle Standards. Their details are in the previous email.

I trust this is of assistance to you.

What about we get a standard template asking for a full explanation of what information they see fit and are happy to use in a court of law if asked. The if we all send the template changing just the name and address to certain places this will show we are not one off enquiries we are a collective seeking information about the class of our vehicles.
We cant do online petitions as they do not work but a paper signed petition or this would work diferently which may provoke a proper reaction.

I have just had a pop top fitted, Let me just say one thing. It looks nothing like a normal van roof. Mines a MPV so I really dont care about the motor caravan part but it is daft they want to make our life hard work, we pay enough for these vans.
Although if you have your roof colour coded then I can see their position, a quick glance will look like a normal van. Mine is a white van with black pop top so it is very different and is visibly different especially if in traffic. I would argue that point as it does look different.

Wow, having skim read all 30 pages of this thread my mind is totally blown. I’ve been prevaricating for sometime as to whether it was worth trying to get my fully converted T30 Kombi (N1 classification) reclassified. As it stands now the DVLA’s “converting a vehicle into a motor caravan (motorhome)” page explicitly says DVLA will only consider changing the body type to motor caravan if the vehicle meets the “motor caravan external permanent features” criteria. Given one of those features is a high top (not a pop top which I’ve got), this makes me think I’d probably be completely wasting my time. However the “motor caravan external permanent features” page also says it is “intended to provide guidance on what the DVLA expects to see when considering our application”. This made me wonder whether an application for a pop top conversion may still be considered on its merits, so long as the current body type is one of the ones on the allowed list (which it certainly is).

What’s the current consensus? It’s clearly a lot of hassle making the application properly but if I thought there was any chance of success I’d try it.

Wow, having skim read all 30 pages of this thread my mind is totally blown. I’ve been prevaricating for sometime as to whether it was worth trying to get my fully converted T30 Kombi (N1 classification) reclassified. As it stands now the DVLA’s “converting a vehicle into a motor caravan (motorhome)” page explicitly says DVLA will only consider changing the body type to motor caravan if the vehicle meets the “motor caravan external permanent features” criteria. Given one of those features is a high top (not a pop top which I’ve got), this makes me think I’d probably be completely wasting my time. However the “motor caravan external permanent features” page also says it is “intended to provide guidance on what the DVLA expects to see when considering our application”. This made me wonder whether an application for a pop top conversion may still be considered on its merits, so long as the current body type is one of the ones on the allowed list (which it certainly is).

What’s the current consensus? It’s clearly a lot of hassle making the application properly but if I thought there was any chance of success I’d try it.
This was one issue but I think the V5C issue is pretty much sewn up now. The only think I suggest that we do is launch another petition, after the election and that if we all could arrange to meet our local MPs and ask them to investigate then we might be able to promote a change.

My current concern is relating to the speed limit situation and I thing that this is a very grey area that needs absolute clarification - which I feel is not there at the moment...

This was one issue but I think the V5C issue is pretty much sewn up now. The only think I suggest that we do is launch another petition, after the election and that if we all could arrange to meet our local MPs and ask them to investigate then we might be able to promote a change.

My current concern is relating to the speed limit situation and I thing that this is a very grey area that needs absolute clarification - which I feel is not there at the moment...
Petition won't help.

You need to write an open letter to the heads of policy in each organisation and the motorhome press so all parties read the same points at the same time and encourage them to close the gaps in the interpretation and suggest a new category be created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back