V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of having my VW T6 Transporter converted to my dream campervan only to find out today that the DVLA will not reclassify as a campervan as they are saying that no longer except an elevating roof as a camper and it must be a high top fixed roof. There are other requirements that can all be easily accommodated however I think that not excepting and elevating roof is just taking things too far.

Does anyone know if this is going to be changed or what implications this has for me as a first time owner.

Does this mean that I can't have a camper van and I am stuck with a van with windows.

Does this mean I have to insure as a commercial vehicle instead of a camper.

Does this mean I have to stick to the 60 mph speed limit for a van.

Does this mean.....what the hell does it all mean.

Gutted.
You will have a campervan and can use it as such, you just won’t have a Motor Caravan.

I'm not comfortable with this petition, its factually incorrect, has typos and is anecdotal - to me, if a petition is to be taken seriously then more care has to go into its phrasing and presentation.

Personally I think the stated reasons for the change would be better served by an additional field on the V5 for "visual appearance". A typical camper would have the 'body type' as "motor caravan" but 'visual appearance' set to " van with windows" or "panel van" or "coachbuilt motorhome" or whatever short phrase would best describe it at a glance. Plod use the new field to identify the vehicle, ANPR cameras use the body type field to determine its speed limit.
Seemples.
afro.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Grim Reaper - you have a point as a relative newbie I hadn't read all posts but have just been flicking through and also checking DVLA stuff - thanks for email and pointing out all the work members have been doing to raise the issue - I jumped in a bit quick after discussions with DVLA - thanks for pointing this out

WE ALL NEED TO SIGN THIS PETITION!!!

If we don't we will all be stuck at 50mph (Officially) on all B roads & dual carriageways ! As we will all be driving a "Van with windows"
As well as an Insurance 'getout' if anyone damages anything related to a camper - Roof, Fridge, Hob, Sink, Bed, etc.
You can just imagine the loss adjusters ( I love that term-...not) wriggling out of pay outs

I know the Caravelle comes at a premium in the used market. I'd struggle to justify ripping out the interior to convert one into a camper. But on aside, I found that Shuttles of similar age were considerably cheaper than the equivalent aged Kombi on the used market. So even if you dont get motorcaravan status on a conversion, you can run at car speeds from the off. I've copy and pasted this from another thread, but listed some advantages of going down this route elsewhere on the forum....

....The Shuttle has some advantages but if your getting it converted by a conversion company, check that they will take it on as a build. Also check beforehand with pop top roof fitters, if they'll do it too.

It's generally less sought after than Kombis, so they seem to be cheaper as you mention.

Heater and aircon in the rear. Try and get 3 zone climatronic. Check for auxiliary coolant heater too, for faster warm up in cold weather. It can also be adapted at a later stage into a remotely operated parking heater, if you wish.

8 seater has captains seats already. Front bench seat in the 9 seater isn't that comfy as it is but can be modified to make it recline more. Apparently makes a big improvement in comfort.

You'll have carpet if you choose to keep it with thick foam backing. (SE spec only)

Most seem to be T32's. But it's not a goods vehicle so class 4 MoT, instead of more stringent class 7. Albeit, I believe a T32 panel van becomes a class 4, if it's converted and re registered as a motor caravan.

Choice of LWB and SWB

They register as M1, MPV, diesel car. So normal car speed limits apply from the outset.

EDIT: VED is based on emissions so car rates based on emissions apply, not commercial vehicle rate. (£200 for 12 months at time of writing on a 150bhp DSG LWB)

You have factory fitted windows. Lots of them. Although probably without sliders. Maybe a good thing as I believe sliders are prone to leaking.

Twin sliding doors and a tailgate.

Seat brackets in situ. Redundant seats and brackets can be sold.

Moulded side panels. May need modified or cut though to accommodate furniture. Or you could strip them out, sell them and start from a blank canvas.

Some sound proofing already factory fitted.

4 speakers set up fitted.

H7 headlights, H7 headlights and by the way....... double check them, but they should have H7 headlights.
(By all accounts, the H4s found on the PVs are crap)

LED rear lights.

Caravelle style front grille. Or has the Caravelle got a Shuttle grille. In any case, the extra chrome bits look proper sparkly.

Try for SE spec. It's not the same as a Highline PV. MFSW, cruise control and front fog lights are missing from standard spec but there are companies who will retrofit these if your buying used. Likewise, rear parking sensors or a rear view camera. Ridiculous that there not standard on a LWB passenger carrier. 40 quid will buy you an after market camera.

I'd recommend the DSG 7 speed box. With cruise added, it makes for a relaxing drive over a short ratio manual. Especially in town.

Last edited:
We're still waiting on a reply to Czechmate's inquiry but by all accounts, if the van satisfies the requirements of the DfT for the interior fittings of a Motor Caravan (even if it doesn't satisfy the external requirements) then it can be used at regular car speed limits.

Great detailed post @Dieseldonkey but you’ve replied to the wrong thread :D

Thanks @andys . But I was adding this in here because theres posts earlier up the thread along M1/N1 lines. Just fired this in to highlight a possible alternative if folk are worried or a bit peed off with restricted speed limits, while DVLA are playing silly buggers.

You may be right on the dual carriageways...........but still 60mph is stupid for the latest tech vehicles
Tbh I think we’re all in for a lowering of speed limits very soon. It’s a nice easy measure for a government to take to reduce emissions without cost or effort. Expect a lot more “temporary” 50 limits on motorways and dual carriageways to become rather less temporary.
Lower speed limits are on their way, I’d put money on it...

Tbh I think we’re all in for a lowering of speed limits very soon. It’s a nice easy measure for a government to take to reduce emissions without cost or effort. Expect a lot more “temporary” 50 limits on motorways and dual carriageways to become rather less temporary.
Lower speed limits are on their way, I’d put money on it...
I agree, many of the national speed limit roads around here are being reclassified as 50's. So it doesn't really matter too much what you drive.

Thanks @andys . But I was adding this in here because theres posts earlier up the thread along M1/N1 lines. Just fired this in to highlight a possible alternative if folk are worried or a bit peed off with restricted speed limits, while DVLA are playing silly buggers.

Great post. I tried suggesting it earlier on and got hounded for it. It makes total common sense to do it from the off.

Fair enough, it seemed to be about choosing between a Kombi and a Shuttle so I thought it was meant to be in the next thread down about someone buying a Kombi

We're still waiting on a reply to Czechmate's inquiry but by all accounts, if the van satisfies the requirements of the DfT for the interior fittings of a Motor Caravan (even if it doesn't satisfy the external requirements) then it can be used at regular car speed limits.
No update as yet. Will let you know when it comes through!

Edit - Looking at the MOT guidelines it is currently a class VII

So I bought a T32 Kombi just before the changes, with the intention of getting it changed to a motor caravan. Since the rules changed, I decided to go for a pop top and a full width bed.

I am pretty sure that I am limited to reduced speeds still, but not sure what class MOT I require - As it is is a dual purpose vehicle perhaps? Any thoughts???

Mass in service is 2118 kg if that is relevant

Does this look about right?
MOT%20and%20speed%20limit%20table.jpg

Last edited:
MOT for a T32 is Class 7 commercial vehicle over 3000kg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back