Tyre speed rating vs van top speed.

I wonder if I'm missing something here............... Why would you buy a campervan to do 100+MPH? would it not be better to sell it and buy a sports car?

I thought the whole idea of owning a campervan was to chill out.

Maybe I need to smoke something!!!!!!!!!!
Not all T6`s are campers. Some are us are builder type folk, in T6`s, because they ran out of white Transits at the van shop.

Qnapper, don’t intend to go anywhere near 100mph mate. I thought that if VW stated a specified top speed of 123mph then the tyres must be rated for that speed regardless of it being illegal to do so.

I wonder if I'm missing something here............... Why would you buy a campervan to do 100+MPH? would it not be better to sell it and buy a sports car?

I thought the whole idea of owning a campervan was to chill out.

Maybe I need to smoke something!!!!!!!!!!
That’ll definitely make you drive slower, too slow, tends to attract attention;)

V rated should do the job.:thumbsup:
As for speed limits my T6 is registered as a camper rather than Luton bodied furniture removal van and as such I drive everywhere at a constant 70mph mostly in third gear with the valves pinging off the rev limiter as it helps burn the soot from the DPF and the paint on the bonnet of the car stuck up my vans backside.

A bit late to the party, but the 204 highline's come with "T" rated tyres as standard (118mph) so you may be ok legally, My van has the 130mph ACC option, be interesting to see what happens if that was achievable :oops:

Reviving this thread as I have recently put a set of Devonport whhels, bought second hand on my T6.
It, a Shuttle, was second hand when bought. It came with VW factory steel wheels. The alloys came with a set of tyres on. I just looked at the two sets of tyres, as I wondered if they might be slightly different sizes but am a little surprised.

Steel wheels have 215/60/17C
Devonport wheels 215/60/17C

I had a look online at the speed ratings and discovered that the max recommended speed for C is 37mph/60kph.

What do others have? I have driven my Shuttle at 70mph in the 12 months since I bought it, as it isn't a commercial vehicle and not limited to 60mph. As the tyres on the alloys are not new, I'm now considering replacing them with new with a faster speed rating.

What do others have? Brand, type, speed rating?

Cheers. Dave C

Normally they are H rated to 130kmh are you sure the C is not for commercial type tyre?

As Loz says above the "C" means commercial. I doubt you'd find and tyres rated c for the speed these days, maybe for a wheelbarrow! I'd be confident the tyres you have are adequately rated.

View attachment 161594

So 109/107 T is the speed, or 104H?

Thanks for the replies.
I think in this case the speed rating would depend the load rating - up to 104 H speed rating then from 104 to 107/109 T rating would apply. So for a Transporter they're rated H as the highest load for a T32 is 103. This is my understanding anyway and im happy to be corrected but, either way you'll be fine to use those tyres.

Right fears allayed many thanks.

The AA site does not have a H rating on their table so I think it must be safe to assume it's T.Screenshot_20220620-185220.jpg

The speed rating is the letter between the profile and the rim diameter. In the case of the image in post #34, that's R.

The C after the rim diameter stands for commercial, which is a more robust tyre with better wear rates and able to withstand more kerb bumping at the expense of comfort.

The speed rating is the letter between the profile and the rim diameter. In the case of the image in post #34, that's R.

The C after the rim diameter stands for commercial, which is a more robust tyre with better wear rates and able to withstand more kerb bumping at the expense of comfort.
I thought R stood for radial?

Reactions: Loz
Back