Tyre speed rating vs van top speed.

kevtuft

T6 Pro
Hi guys, new here and looking for some help. Ordered a SWB DSG T32 204ps, build is week 16. Looking to put KMC hole shots with BFG tyres on it. As the tyres are R rated, 106mph and the vehicle max speed is stated at 123mph, is this permissible?

Define permissible. I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes if you had an accident and the insurance company found out.
What load (weight) rating are the tyres and the wheels ?

Pete

By permissible I meant legal, sorry. Tyre and wheel are ok on load. I remember reading somewhere on here that the tyre rating must exceed the stated top speed of the vehicle even though it’s illegal to exceed 70mph. Might have to change the look I am aiming for.
Thanks guys.

The big issue is your insurance company ...you can invalidate your insurance fitting tyres with a low speed rating than the manufacturer original fit ...I’d double check with your company first ...as much as we want things to look good it’s ..Safety first

Think I’ll stick with what comes from VW for a period and do a lot of reading on this excellent forum.
I have a lot to learn.

Load rating is a no brainer, well covered on here about the legalities of it.

Speed rating is a little different, many winter tyres have lower speed ratings, but it’s quite common to fit them on many vehicles, not just T6’s.

Personally I’d never risk the wheel/tyre load rating, but speed rating provided you keep way below the maximum speed of the tyre and speed isn’t the cause of an accident I suspect you’d be ok.

I’d be inclined to ask your insurance company to put something in writing to clarify what happens in this scenario.

I think you’ll find that if you are breaking the speed limit the van won’t be covered in an accident anyway as you’d be breaking the law and driving recklessly.
Insurance companies aren’t known for paying out without a fight If you have created a reason for them not to.

I think you’ll find that if you are breaking the speed limit the van won’t be covered in an accident anyway as you’d be breaking the law and driving recklessly.
Insurance companies aren’t known for paying out without a fight If you have created a reason for them not to.
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but out of interest, does that mean you travel everywhere at or below the speed limit ?

The old urban legend about your insurance being "invalidated" if you fit incorrectly speed rated tyres is not as simple as it sounds.
If you cause an accident the insurance company can refuse to pay out on your vehicle if the tyre speed rating was a factor in the accident.
They must still pay out on third party claims arising from the accident regardless of your speed, or your tyres.

Having everything exactly right just gives them less wriggle room!

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but out of interest, does that mean you travel everywhere at or below the speed limit ?
Pretty much my friend, I’m approaching 60 years old, retired and not in a rush. I spent long periods in pain and in hospital from my biking days, I was much younger then and I still didn’t bounce.
I have also witnessed some pretty horrific dismemberments in a car accident. What’s the f’kin rush?

Pretty much my friend, I’m approaching 60 years old, retired and not in a rush. I spent long periods in pain and in hospital from my biking days, I was much younger then and I still didn’t bounce.
I have also witnessed some pretty horrific dismemberments in a car accident. What’s the f’kin rush?
Fair enough. I`m approaching 50 myself, and having had a father involved in a fairly horrific rta I spent years in hospitals seeing mainly bike injuries and amputations.
I do find it pretty much impossible to do 30 on roads which are open, good visibility, and with no other vehicles on the road.
Sometimes I do poodle about, but mostly thats not the case.

Fair enough. I`m approaching 50 myself, and having had a father involved in a fairly horrific rta I spent years in hospitals seeing mainly bike injuries and amputations.
I do find it pretty much impossible to do 30 on roads which are open, good visibility, and with no other vehicles on the road.
Sometimes I do poodle about, but mostly thats not the case.
Bet you run at swimming pools too lol

Tiger Woods; "Now you tell me!!!"

I wonder if I'm missing something here............... Why would you buy a campervan to do 100+MPH? would it not be better to sell it and buy a sports car?

I thought the whole idea of owning a campervan was to chill out.

Maybe I need to smoke something!!!!!!!!!!

Back