Twin Slider Kombi to Day Van Conversion

MG1970

Hi, thought I would post some pictures of the Kombi conversion I'm slowly working on. The idea was to turn the van into a welfare van after a day of watersports. So the plan is to;

Sound deadening
Thermal insulation
Carpet lining
Add a leisure battery and DC to DC charger
Add some electrics in the back
Put in a slidepod so I can remove it if I need the space

I've been doing this is small stages over the last couple of months, a door one day, the tailgate another etc. Until I came to the carpet lining. I bit the bullet on Monday and started on the carpet lining.

So far I've stripped it, put in the sound deadening, thermal insulation, run the electrics in, and carpet lined the walls. Just fininshed the last wall today as the ply lining boards arrived!

IMG_5422.JPG
IMG_5423.JPGIMG_5462.JPGIMG_5466.JPGIMG_5467.JPG

just starting this myself, on the electrics I am putting in the rear a USB, (cig lighter) outlet, led lights inc tailgate. anything people have added that I have missed. what is a slidepod. should I pull thru speaker cables just in case to future proof??

just starting this myself, on the electrics I am putting in the rear a USB, (cig lighter) outlet, led lights inc tailgate. anything people have added that I have missed. what is a slidepod. should I pull thru speaker cables just in case to future proof??

I've added USB ports in both the B pillars. 2 12V sockets (one for a fridge and one for the Slidepod) and USB port in the back. Switched downlighters for the roof, reading lights for either side near the tailgate and touch downlighters for the tailgate. I also left a pull through cable in the tailgate as that was a bugger to get the cable run through and I might add a reversing camera at a later date.

I keep changing from using hidden clips (how to get them accurate) or use the extended push in. I have the extended but after seeing these with hidden clips they look so much tidier, maybe time to order a bag of hidden clips, who did you use, it seems Harrisons are the popular choice.

I keep changing from using hidden clips (how to get them accurate) or use the extended push in. I have the extended but after seeing these with hidden clips they look so much tidier, maybe time to order a bag of hidden clips, who did you use, it seems Harrisons are the popular choice.
I used the Transporter HQ hidden clips, they didn't look any different to other offerings at twice the price. They do need hammering in with a rubber mallet to get them in place. I found that you need to put them in with some mole grips to twist them in and then make sure that they move around in the hole in the panel. When you come to fit the panel they are then able to move to meet the hole in the metal frame.

Still waiting for the 54mm holesaw I ordered to put the led lights in the roof panels, hoping it would arrive today, but I think the storms put pay to that. I drilled the tailgate lights with a 51mm holesaw, but then had to use a file to make the width wide enough for the lights to actually grip and stay in place.

Before anyone who studies the the previous photos asks, yes I do have a large barn, 25M x 5M and there is an MG BGT, a Henry, and a Toylander in some of the photos!

I used the Transporter HQ hidden clips, they didn't look any different to other offerings at twice the price. They do need hammering in with a rubber mallet to get them in place. I found that you need to put them in with some mole grips to twist them in and then make sure that they move around in the hole in the panel. When you come to fit the panel they are then able to move to meet the hole in the metal frame.
where did you get these, from a VW dealer

Good day

Just wondering if you could enlighten me on where these are available to purchase?

I need one of these in my van (when/if it comes...)

IMG_5488.JPG

Good day

Just wondering if you could enlighten me on where these are available to purchase?

I need one of these in my van (when/if it comes...)
I got them from here:
these are the 330mm ones, despite the pictures on the website which look like the shorter version

The 330mm and 130mm are also available here:

Today I have discovered that the hidden clips don't work completely in the roof panels. I have gone with 2 seperate panels for the roof lining as per the OEM panels, only out of necessity as I I don't have 2 pairs of hands to hold everything in place. The hidden clips held up the forward panel along the sides, but I can't get them to hold across the panel in the roof brace. I have now ordered some longer roof clips from MVM as Harrisons don't seem to sell the same type. I wanted to get the van back on the road this week, but looks like it may be next week now!

Today I have discovered that the hidden clips don't work completely in the roof panels. I have gone with 2 seperate panels for the roof lining as per the OEM panels, only out of necessity as I I don't have 2 pairs of hands to hold everything in place. The hidden clips held up the forward panel along the sides, but I can't get them to hold across the panel in the roof brace. I have now ordered some longer roof clips from MVM as Harrisons don't seem to sell the same type. I wanted to get the van back on the road this week, but looks like it may be next week now!
that's a pain, I have just been trying to get some in to the new panel. think I am going to cut a slot around the edge and maybe try a bigger hole in the middle. not overly confident so may revert to the longer ones on show although they are quite light in colour. I will try some in the roof panel joining strip. it must be awkward with any panel using the hidden clips as you can't see the hole for correct alignment.

I put some masking tape around the roof edge and marked where the holes were on the tape. This helped when trying to line up the edge clips in the roof panel as you can feel the hidden clips when you run your hand along the carpet. Once I had the sides clips in, the cross beams clips are lined up and push in to the holes, but don’t hold in place, probably due to being slightly too short.

Back