Twin passenger V Single passenger captain seat.

aftermarket swivels bolt on under the seat runners and the top of the seat base.
the OEM swivel is built into the seat itself so cant be retrofitted as a retrofit is pretty much swapping the whole seat if that makes sense.
Thank you David.

So Volkswagen have to fit the OEM one?

aftermarket swivels bolt on under the seat runners and the top of the seat base.
the OEM swivel is built into the seat itself so cant be retrofitted as a retrofit is pretty much swapping the whole seat if that makes sense.
Sorry David, I am a bit baffled!

So I can't pay someone to fit the OEM swivels?

Thank you David.

So Volkswagen have to fit the OEM one?
You cant fit an OEM one. you need to get a seat with it already fitted. I got mine from ebay.

hence its worth thinking about before you buy any seats

Sorry David, I am a bit baffled!

So I can't pay someone to fit the OEM swivels?
haha no worries, sorry if I've not explained it well or confused you.

either the seat will be an OEM (from factory) swivel or not, the seats are very different

haha no worries, sorry if I've not explained it well or confused you.

either the seat will be an OEM (from factory) swivel or not, the seats are very different
Sorry I feel I am not explaining very well!

Can I pay a firm (not VW) to fit the OEM ones?

This is awesome. You have done a mint job with the setup. I love the colour etc. Is that a plug socket behind? What electrics are you running?

Do you have a contact who upholstered yours?
Thanks.
Thats just a 240v extension lead sitting on the unit. I use it for the tv when on EHU. Tv is 12v also for off grid.
Think my set up is pretty standard with a leisure battery on a split charge system with the addition of a solar panel on the roof.
I can run the fridge, lights water pump for about a week off grid with some sunlight. And a few days if I’m watching a movie at night.
The electrics is something I’m going to upgrade with a lithium battery and inverter so I can run for a week using everything off grid.
Don’t have contact for the upholstery unfortunately as I got the converters to arrange it.
But there’s guys on here who do a great job.
Good luck with your build

Sorry I feel I am not explaining very well!

Can I pay a firm (not VW) to fit the OEM ones?
Here’s a link to my thread on fitting the drivers swivel.
It was an aftermarket one from just campers and was £175.
It’s an incredible sold and heavy thing but doesn’t add much height at all and is easily fitted yourself.

Thanks.
Thats just a 240v extension lead sitting on the unit. I use it for the tv when on EHU. Tv is 12v also for off grid.
Think my set up is pretty standard with a leisure battery on a split charge system with the addition of a solar panel on the roof.
I can run the fridge, lights water pump for about a week off grid with some sunlight. And a few days if I’m watching a movie at night.
The electrics is something I’m going to upgrade with a lithium battery and inverter so I can run for a week using everything off grid.
Don’t have contact for the upholstery unfortunately as I got the converters to arrange it.
But there’s guys on here who do a great job.
Good luck with your build
Thanks very much. Seems a similar setup to mine; I am debating just going for a off grid power unit that can be carried rather than lithium just so I don't have to change lights etc.

With regards to your captain seats; are they OEM? they look like the ones from Camper Beds & Seats

Are they comfortable? I find mine is too close to the unit; at 6'1 I struggle a tiny bit with comfort.

Thanks very much. Seems a similar setup to mine; I am debating just going for a off grid power unit that can be carried rather than lithium just so I don't have to change lights etc.

With regards to your captain seats; are they OEM? they look like the ones from Camper Beds & Seats

Are they comfortable? I find mine is too close to the unit; at 6'1 I struggle a tiny bit with comfort.
I’m not sure their origin but they are super comfy.
I’m 6ft and have plenty room in the drivers chair turned around

Hello,

I’m struggling; I don’t like the bench and individual drivers. I much prefer the captain seat X2 setup. Judging by the prices… a lot of people do. Clearly conversion fitters don’t see the value in fitting the vans with them in due to the cost.

I’m not bothered about getting a T6 or T6.1, my vehicle is a T6.1 but I’m told it’s just a different trim.

I’ve found various different OEM transporter swivels, but without the bases. My friend told me not to buy unless they have the OEM base too as he said it’ll cause issues.

On eBay, you’re talking near £2500 for swivel seat OEM + OEM swivel base.

I’m going to need to take the plunge I genuinely think the bench is a woeful design. Unless you’re a certified dwarf you just smash your knees.

Can anyone give me some pointers? I’d be most grateful!

As I mentioned on your other thread the T6 and T6.1 are different electrically. If you have either heaters or airbag/airbag occupancy sensors you'll need to consider that and folks have found the wiring colours have changed.

Have you checked under your current seat to see what electrical connections (if any) it has?

As I mentioned on your other thread the T6 and T6.1 are different electrically. If you have either heaters or airbag/airbag occupancy sensors you'll need to consider that and folks have found the wiring colours have changed.

Have you checked under your current seat to see what electrical connections (if any) it has?
I cannot see anything but I’ve got bespoke seats in at the moment that the converter put in.

I’ve been given conflicting information, I find these topics excessively frustrating as I just feel like I’m reaching around in the dark.

The guy selling them for 2K said I won’t find any OEM swivel / bases for less as he said they are line “rocking horse sh**”

Yet there seems to be some… I sent him links, he said that wouldn’t fit as the bases are aftermarket and he said “everybody knows not to use them”

I don’t know if I’m being sold to, or if people are being genuine.

In terms of connectors, he said not to worry about that as it can all be made to work. Heated seats etc.

What’s your thoughts on this?

Sorry for spamming with this topic. Im seriously out of my depth.

It looks to me that you’re asking about swivel seats in general, so I’ve taken the liberty of editing the title, as there aren’t that many aftermarket seat options for Transporters (unless you include seats from other vehicles, which isn’t really aftermarket, more a modification) nor aftermarket seat-base options - the seat safe or shortened height base being the two I’ve heard of.

I’ve found various different OEM transporter swivels, but without the bases. My friend told me not to buy unless they have the OEM base too as he said it’ll cause issues.
OEM Seats and OEM seat bases bolt together like tyres and rims: provided they’re meant to go together, they will. Since the T5, I think all seat trims and bases match size-wise (T5, T5.1, T6, T6.1 for your forum / eBay searches)

There are aftermarket swivels out there - plenty of info exists here. Try searching ‘swivel seat’.

The guy selling them for 2K said I won’t find any OEM swivel / bases for less as he said they are line “rocking horse sh**”
I imagine the seller is referring to the pricing - captains drivers seats are ten a penny - after all, all vans have a single seat, the captains element is usually referring it to having a swivel base, whether that be OEM or an aftermarket one. Captains passenger seats on the other hand are expensive as most vans came with a double-seat, which as you’ve found can be uncomfortable and not suited to a camper.

I cannot see anything but I’ve got bespoke seats in at the moment that the converter put in.

Can you confirm if it’s aftermarket seats you have, or if it’s just aftermarket seat skins the converter has fitted - photos of the trim and the seat sat on the base will help.

Yet there seems to be some… I sent him links, he said that wouldn’t fit as the bases are aftermarket and he said “everybody knows not to use them”

I don’t know if I’m being sold to, or if people are being genuine.
Again, it depends what you’ve sent to him as to whether hes talking about swivels, bases, or non-VAG seats altogether. Plus, when it comes to buying, who can you rely on to be genuine?!

I’m not bothered about getting a T6 or T6.1, my vehicle is a T6.1 but I’m told it’s just a different trim
You have a T6.1. It’s a face lifted T6, but with the differing trims and parts internally, it’s best to keep to calling it what it is.

It looks to me that you’re asking about swivel seats in general, so I’ve taken the liberty of editing the title, as there aren’t that many aftermarket seat options for Transporters (unless you include seats from other vehicles, which isn’t really aftermarket, more a modification) nor aftermarket seat-base options - the seat safe or shortened height base being the two I’ve heard of.

OEM Seats and OEM seat bases bolt together like tyres and rims: provided they’re meant to go together, they will. Since the T5, I think all seat trims and bases match size-wise (T5, T5.1, T6, T6.1 for your forum / eBay searches)

There are aftermarket swivels out there - plenty of info exists here. Try searching ‘swivel seat’.

I imagine the seller is referring to the pricing - captains drivers seats are ten a penny - after all, all vans have a single seat, the captains element is usually referring it to having a swivel base, whether that be OEM or an aftermarket one. Captains passenger seats on the other hand are expensive as most vans came with a double-seat, which as you’ve found can be uncomfortable and not suited to a camper.

Can you confirm if it’s aftermarket seats you have, or if it’s just aftermarket seat skins the converter has fitted - photos of the trim and the seat sat on the base will help.

Again, it depends what you’ve sent to him as to whether hes talking about swivels, bases, or non-VAG seats altogether. Plus, when it comes to buying, who can you rely on to be genuine?!

You have a T6.1. It’s a face lifted T6, but with the differing trims and parts internally, it’s best to keep to calling it what it is.

Thank you. I am specifically looking at Transporters but unsure if I that is relevant.

My seats are attached here; I know the drivers seat isn’t OEM.

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

I am specifically looking at Transporters but unsure if I that is relevant.
Good stuff. You’re on the correct forum, then!

My seats are attached here; I know the drivers seat isn’t OEM.

I can see the seat back-cushion skin isn’t standard, but the seat mechanism (which is the important bit when it comes to the base) may well be. The shape and trim outlay of the base seat-cushion looks a standard to me as do the armrests.

Thanks for the photo - can you post some showing the seat bases?

Are you planning to replace just the bench or both?

Reason I ask is that an exact aftermarket trim match between 2 seats may be hard, but a new covering for both that compliments your interior may be much easier, and I suspect a retrimmed set of seats would sell on easier for similar reasons.

Good stuff. You’re on the correct forum, then!

I can see the seat back-cushion skin isn’t standard, but the seat mechanism (which is the important bit when it comes to the base) may well be. The shape and trim outlay of the base seat-cushion looks a standard to me as do the armrests.

Thanks for the photo - can you post some showing the seat bases?
Thank you; photos are attached. Thanks for your help on this.

IMG_1100.jpeg

IMG_1099.jpeg

IMG_1098.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

Are you planning to replace just the bench or both?

Reason I ask is that an exact aftermarket trim match between 2 seats may be hard, but a new covering for both that compliments your interior may be much easier, and I suspect a retrimmed set of seats would sell on easier for similar reasons.
Yes I am replacing both to OEM.

The company I purchased the van from have agreed to upholster my OEM seats to match the rock’ and roll bed in exchange for keeping the double bench and drivers seat. Seemed a fair offer to me?

So it looks to me like you have both a standard seat base and standard seat for your drivers’ side, the skin and the seat-back cushion foam being an upgrade;
it looks like you have a standard double-seat, it having an aftermarket / upgraded / customised seat skin, and an aftermarket swivel.

So replacing the double (and it’s swivel) with a pax captains seat is easy enough but costly, what with the cost of the seats and the need for having the replacement trimmed to match the drivers’ seat.

Thank you; photos are attached. Thanks for your help on this.

View attachment 226354

View attachment 226355

View attachment 226356

View attachment 226358

Yes I am replacing both to OEM.

The company I purchased the van from have agreed to upholster my OEM seats to match the rock’ and roll bed in exchange for keeping the double bench and drivers seat. Seemed a fair offer to me?
Agreed, but at a cost? Are they providing the pax captains seat?

Back