Twin passenger V Single passenger captain seat.

Alexryc

T6 Pro
Hi, me again…

Basically, I have purchased a camper already fitted out. I love it.

My passengers continuously complain the two seater swivel is uncomfortable. Today, I rode in the passenger seat. At 6”1 I literally couldn’t really move. And I want to be able to get into the back without getting out and back in.

Is this only achievable via two individual captain seats? And (I know this is subjective) but is that setup of two individual captain seats deemed the gold standard setup?

I need to speak to someone who can help me please.

You can get a hinge that allows a small recline

This is a really common problem which crops up on here all the time!! If you have a swivel it is also likely adding height to the seat which can make it uncomfortable unless you have a lowered seat base, this is the same for the single seats.

The bench will swap out for a single, it unbolts from the floor (6 bolts) and the single bolts in using only the 4 nearest the passenger door. Straight swap would take less than 10 mins with all the bits.

You will need a new single seat and a seat box frame.

Correct, two captains seats will let you go into the back from the font no problems I do this all the time to strap kids in car seats etc and if its raining!!

Unless you need the extra seat with the bench then usually the twin captain seats is what most people want for all the reasons you have said, passenger comfort and going into the rear.

The downside is that the single seats are expensive usually around the £1,000 mark and more if you want an OEM swivel. Other people have fitted various seats from other vehicles to get round this huge cost.

one here for sale: (not affliated in any way)

If you don't need the extra seat, I'd say twin captain seats is optimum. A single seat is significantly more more expensive than a double mind, which indicates that others would agree with me.

there are plenty on ebay too but can be a lot more expensive than here

This is a really common problem which crops up on here all the time!! If you have a swivel it is also likely adding height to the seat which can make it uncomfortable unless you have a lowered seat base, this is the same for the single seats.

The bench will swap out for a single, it unbolts from the floor (6 bolts) and the single bolts in using only the 4 nearest the passenger door. Straight swap would take less than 10 mins with all the bits.

Correct, two captains seats will let you go into the back from the font no problems I do this all the time to strap kids in car seats etc and if its raining!!

Unless you need the extra seat with the bench then usually the twin captain seats is what most people want for all the reasons you have said, passenger comfort and going into the rear.

The downside is that the single seats are expensive usually around the £1,000 mark and more if you want an OEM swivel. Other people have fitted various seats from other vehicles to get round this huge cost.

Legend! Thank you.

Am I right in thinking… I would buy that, and then get it upholstered?

If you don't need the extra seat, I'd say twin captain seats is optimum. A single seat is significantly more more expensive than a double mind, which indicates that others would agree with me.
Thanks Bav. You’re always generous with your time!

What is the trim on your driver seat?
if your a t6.1 im guessing you have bricks?
You might be able to get a matching set from a upholstery /trimmer for peanuts and they remove loads when then to re trims, do a search on here there is a thread somewhere telling you how you could swap them over.

failing that you could treat yourself to a full re trim :think smile bounce:

Last edited:
What is the trim on your driver seat?
if your a t6.1 im guessing you have bricks?
You might be able to get a matching set from a upholstery /trimmer for peanuts and they remove loads when then to re trims, do a search on here there is a thread somewhere telling you how you could swap them over.

failing that you could treat yourself to a full re trim :think smile bounce:
I’ll send a photo shortly! I have a custom trim throughout - do you think someone will be able to match it?

I noticed this online…

Is that not a good option?

I've got a swivel captain seat on the passenger side and fixed driver side.
Due to the layout of the van it would have been pointless having the driver's seat with the swivel option.

One thing to check if you are moving from twin to single on the passenger side is the electrics in the seat - heaters and airbags - depending on what was fitted to the base van.

You'll also need to check that your converter hasn't tucked anything in the area of the seat base you will loose.

I have a double passenger seat (great storage underneath) and a driver seat. Both swivel.
The inside of a T6 can feel small, so for me its all about maximising the space when you're parked up and the 2+1 does that.
With my van I I try to get every item to double-job, and be as flexible / have as many purposes as possible.

For me its no biggy to have to get out of the van to get back into the back of the van. How often do you go between the two space anyway?
But its all about preferences and what are your absolute must haves.

You got it.
In all fairness, whenever we go away in the van it's always with the awning set up so the inside of the van never really gets used apart from dumping stuff. I think we might have actually swivelled the passenger seat 3 times at most.
Horses for courses n all that, is it a necessity? If you're going to use it then go for it, also ask the question, can you do with it? Save a few £'s for other bits of useless kit

I've got a swivel captain seat on the passenger side and fixed driver side.
Due to the layout of the van it would have been pointless having the driver's seat with the swivel option.
I’ve found that’s not really the case.
I presume you have the kitchen behind the drivers seat? The same as me.
I fitted a drivers swivel plate and it has opened the whole cab up and the whole van seems much more roomy.
It doesn’t turn all the way around because of the kitchen but there’s still loads of room. I’m 6ft and sitting in it my legs don’t get in the way of the passengers.
It’s much better for having 3 or more people away in the van.
4 people can sit comfortably with plenty room.
The captains chairs are miles comfier than the bench.
IMG_5444.jpeg

Sorry may I also ask;

Will it fit in a T6.1?

I’ve found that’s not really the case.
I presume you have the kitchen behind the drivers seat? The same as me.
I fitted a drivers swivel plate and it has opened the whole cab up and the whole van seems much more roomy.
It doesn’t turn all the way around because of the kitchen but there’s still loads of room. I’m 6ft and sitting in it my legs don’t get in the way of the passengers.
It’s much better for having 3 or more people away in the van.
4 people can sit comfortably with plenty room.
The captains chairs are miles comfier than the bench.
View attachment 226094
This is awesome. You have done a mint job with the setup. I love the colour etc. Is that a plug socket behind? What electrics are you running?

Do you have a contact who upholstered yours?

@Vanderlust hope you recover soon!

@Alexryc Last thing from me to add is that if your thinking of adding swivels have a think and a search on here if you want to go down the OEM swivel vs the aftermarket swivel. (plenty of threads on this so wont repeat it) There really is no right or wrong answer between the two, apart from OEM will be harder to get hold of and more £££, but also consider the cost of 2 aftermarket swivels will be in the £300-400 region ish. Just a thought before getting any seats etc as you cant retrofit the OEM swivel as its integrated to the seat.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

@Vanderlust hope you recover soon!

@Alexryc Last thing from me to add is that if your thinking of adding swivels have a think and a search on here if you want to go down the OEM swivel vs the aftermarket swivel. (plenty of threads on this so wont repeat it) There really is no right or wrong answer between the two, apart from OEM will be harder to get hold of and more £££, but also consider the cost of 2 aftermarket swivels will be in the £300-400 region ish. Just a thought before getting any seats etc as you cant retrofit the OEM swivel as its integrated to the seat.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
Thanks very much. Incredibly helpful.

When you say retrofit; do you mean I would have to pay Volkswagen to fit? Or a company? (for the OEM ones)

Thanks very much. Incredibly helpful.

When you say retrofit; do you mean I would have to pay Volkswagen to fit? Or a company? (for the OEM ones)
aftermarket swivels bolt on under the seat runners and the top of the seat base.
the OEM swivel is built into the seat itself so cant be retrofitted as a retrofit is pretty much swapping the whole seat if that makes sense.

Back