Fitting a drivers seat swivel base

The Flying Scotsman

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’ve been busy fitting a swivel plate on my drivers captains chair.
I’m really happy with it. Even with the kitchen and steering wheel making it sit at an angle there’s still plenty room and makes the van feel much more roomy.
Will be perfect if both kids decide to come away with me the wife.
I had to lower the handbrake to allow rotation and used the proper bracket.
The instructions said the plastic housing will need some adjustment.
Well I can’t see how it will go back even trimming it here and there as the handbrake is in a totally different position.
The video Delmassive posted on the other thread I highjacked was most helpful. They had a new different shaped plastic housing. I wasn’t supplied that in my kit from Just Kampers.
Is there a way to trim the original plastic to fit as the instructions said or do I need to buy a new housing ?
If it’s the later any ideas on where to buy one?
Cheers

IMG_5444.jpegIMG_5443.jpeg

Nice one. Could you post a before and after pic when you fit it please? Need one for mine too so would be great to see if they are ok. Thanks.
Will do
Forgot to say earlier.
The black ones on eBay are £50 the grey £60.
I got mine from Exeude website. Got the grey for £50.50 delivered.
Still not cheap for a bit of plastic.

Last edited:
Nice one. Could you post a before and after pic when you fit it please? Need one for mine too so would be great to see if they are ok. Thanks.
I fitted the new plastic housing.
After moaning about the price I was actually quite impressed with it. It’s a sturdy bit of kit. The plastic is 4mm thick. It uses the existing mounts to fix it back and they work very well.
I think I could have probably got away with black but am happy with it.
You need to trim the handbrake sheath. I’ve included a pic of it trimmed.
As much as it’s still not cheap for a bit of plastic it is very well made and looks the part.
IMG_5468.jpegIMG_5469.jpegIMG_5470.jpeg

Out of interest what's the trick to get the handbrake sheath off?

All the diagrams seem to show a tab just under and behind the release button but try as I might I cannot figure out how to release it without excessive force.

The front of mine has been chewed up by what looks like vice grips and I've given up chasing the dealer's promise to get it fixed after the sale so I want to try and sand it out.

This is how we do them, lover the hand brake box section, adjust handbrake cable under vehicle to suit and trim the plastics down 40mm. Also kept rear seat base trims when adding Sportscraft , more Oe looking

IMG_7191.jpeg

I'm still amazed that with this common issue and all the other things they went fully electric with in the T6.1 they didn't move to an electric handbrake.

Out of interest what's the trick to get the handbrake sheath off?

All the diagrams seem to show a tab just under and behind the release button but try as I might I cannot figure out how to release it without excessive force.

The front of mine has been chewed up by what looks like vice grips and I've given up chasing the dealer's promise to get it fixed after the sale so I want to try and sand it out.
Use a flat head screw driver to lift the tab under the bit you grip.
Then it slides forward.

Use a flat head screw driver to lift the tab under the bit you grip.
Then it slides forward.
That's what I figured - now I know that it's the right thing to do next time I have a go I shall apply more force.

My only worry is that I wonder if the fitting is all chewed up because the dealer tried to get it off and it's jammed.

This is how we do them, lover the hand brake box section, adjust handbrake cable under vehicle to suit and trim the plastics down 40mm. Also kept rear seat base trims when adding Sportscraft , more Oe looking

View attachment 222573
Yeh I think that looks better. Good job.
I would have needed to remove the whole base then angle grinded off the bracket. Then get it welded on lower or make brackets to bolt it on lower.
This took me minutes to do the whole job.

That's what I figured - now I know that it's the right thing to do next time I have a go I shall apply more force.

My only worry is that I wonder if the fitting is all chewed up because the dealer tried to get it off and it's jammed.
Maybe. Give it plenty force and give it a twist as your pulling it.

I fitted the new plastic housing.
After moaning about the price I was actually quite impressed with it. It’s a sturdy bit of kit. The plastic is 4mm thick. It uses the existing mounts to fix it back and they work very well.
I think I could have probably got away with black but am happy with it.
You need to trim the handbrake sheath. I’ve included a pic of it trimmed.
As much as it’s still not cheap for a bit of plastic it is very well made and looks the part.
View attachment 222568View attachment 222569View attachment 222570
Awesome, thank you. Looks neat. May have to get one as the mechanism is exposed at the moment and prone to being kicked.

I’ve been busy fitting a swivel plate on my drivers captains chair.
I’m really happy with it. Even with the kitchen and steering wheel making it sit at an angle there’s still plenty room and makes the van feel much more roomy.
Will be perfect if both kids decide to come away with me the wife.
I had to lower the handbrake to allow rotation and used the proper bracket.
The instructions said the plastic housing will need some adjustment.
Well I can’t see how it will go back even trimming it here and there as the handbrake is in a totally different position.
The video Delmassive posted on the other thread I highjacked was most helpful. They had a new different shaped plastic housing. I wasn’t supplied that in my kit from Just Kampers.
Is there a way to trim the original plastic to fit as the instructions said or do I need to buy a new housing ?
If it’s the later any ideas on where to buy one?
Cheers

View attachment 222327View attachment 222328
I’ve been Looking at this too, what swivel did you go with? I’m between the RIB and the Kiravan one. Apparently the RIB makes the seat sit 43mm higher, but doesn’t need the handbrake changed.

I’ve been Looking at this too, what swivel did you go with? I’m between the RIB and the Kiravan one. Apparently the RIB makes the seat sit 43mm higher, but doesn’t need the handbrake changed.
I went with the Just Kampers one. It was £175 and very simple to fit. It only raises the seat by about 3/4”
It comes with the hand brake lowering bracket but not the new plastic cover required.
It’s made a big difference to room up front and now the whole cab is part of the living area. Not just the passenger seat.

Back