Towbar install problem - Dealer installed

Phoned and spoke to the dealer general manager this morning, said he would look into and call me back.
Just had a call from the Service manager who I booked the install with and basically they are sticking to their guns that it is all correctly installed and coded and VW technical in Germany have confirmed so!
He said something about a DIS report that confirms everything?

Not interested when I said its Not the same as a factory install as he told me it would be either.

Is it worth me complaining to Customer Services? Is it worth me getting someone who know about the coding with VCDS to take a look?

It could be right that those two things won’t work, the trouble is without proof I think I’m screwed?

You were initially told that it would function no differently to a factory installation. They haven't delivered, therefore not carried out their part of the contract.

According to the PFJones website that I linked to previously in post #7, it can be done without tow bar prep from the factory.

I would involve VW Customer Services, also VWFS if you have an agreement with them. If they still say it can't be done, then as they have not done what you agreed with them, push for a service plan as compensation, then use the savings to get the job done properly elsewhere. You need to quote "contract with dealer" and "not fit for purpose" in any correspondence.

I admit that my experience is limited to vag cars, t5 and t6 vans but all the dedicated electrics I have fitted have always performed as per factory fit. I'd be amazed if the t6.1 was different.

The Passat one I had from PFJ a few years back was Westfalia.

You were initially told that it would function no differently to a factory installation. They haven't delivered, therefore not carried out their part of the contract.

According to the PFJones website that I linked to previously in post #7, it can be done without tow bar prep from the factory.

I would involve VW Customer Services, also VWFS if you have an agreement with them. If they still say it can't be done, then as they have not done what you agreed with them, push for a service plan as compensation, then use the savings to get the job done properly elsewhere. You need to quote "contract with dealer" and "not fit for purpose" in any correspondence.
That’s it in a nutshell! I really wouldn’t get into a debate and I definitely wouldn’t waste energy researching what they did wrong to educate them. (You’re paying for their expertise after all!) They can fix it or refund

Yeh I’m phoning customer services tomorrow and will go from there, i’m sure that will be a fun experience!!
Follow up in writing! Don’t go solutioning or fcking about with VCDS .... unless you want to give them an escape route. If so, knock yourself out

No I won’t go messing with VCDS, as you say I don’t want them having a way of getting out of it.
A readout - just a VCDS Auto-Scan - wouldn't mess anything but would give an insider's view what's been done.

Had another update from Vw customer services Today. Vw parts and Technical have confirmed to her that these things should work on my install!!
She had spoken again to the dealer who still insist they have done nothing wrong. Turns out they have not been honest with Vw technical and also lied about me as well.
Apparently the next step is for her to find a dealer who is willing and confident that they can sort / code my van properly!

Had another update from Vw customer services Today. Vw parts and Technical have confirmed to her that these things should work on my install!!
She had spoken again to the dealer who still insist they have done nothing wrong. Turns out they have not been honest with Vw technical and also lied about me as well.
Apparently the next step is for her to find a dealer who is willing and confident that they can sort / code my van properly!
Name & Shame, it might save somebody else suffering.

You’ve got some good independents not too far away who could sort that for a few quid, Eclipse and Absolut5, plus I know there’s a good independent in Brizzol who’s name currently escapes me.

I will name and shame but not yet, I don’t want to give them any way of getting out of sorting this!

I can’t look at independents just yet as Vw would not cover the cost of that, has to be a main dealer. That would be my next option if I need to get a part refund from dealer and myself pay an independent to sort it.

Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand with your dealer and for peace of mind go somewhere else and pay out of your own pocket.

I doubt it would cost much more than £30 for somebody to code it in properly.

Thought I would update this just in case it helps someone else. VW customer services had agreed to get another dealer to look at my van and sort the issues. Have been waiting a few weeks because the dealer was so busy and I needed a courtesy van.
Fast forward to today and I have my van back all sorted and working as it should have in the first place! The dealer had it for 1 day, programmed everything correctly and hey presto it’s all good.
Just shows what a lying shower of shit the original dealer was / is. The offending dealer is SMV Commercials in Yeovil Somerset, i would give them a miss if I was you.

But cannot rate highly enough Marshall’s VW in Bridgwater, did exactly what they said they would without any fuss.

Back