Towbar install problem - Dealer installed

Hi guys & gals. We have a 70 plate T6.1 150 Highline panel van that we have an issue with.

Basically looking for someone that has had a factory towbar and electrics fitted at a dealer after build, hope that makes sense?

Our van came from the factory without a tow bar or Trailer prep.

We agreed and paid for a dealer to install the factory wiring kit and fixed towbar and were promised it would then be the same as a factory install.

All good except the alarm does not activate when you unplug the trailer electrics and neither does the fog light on the van go out when you have a trailer attached. Both these things should work on a ‘factory’ towbar setup?

Dealer has just had the van another three days only to turn round and tell us these two things won’t work because it is an accessory install and not a factory install!?

We need some definitive proof if they are right or not?

Any help much appreciated.

Does it turn the rear sensors off and put a picture of the van with a trailer attached on the screen when reversing?

Everything should work as factory. My 6 does. I can't see the 6.1 being any different to any other VW. It does need coding to activate these towing features, but the dealer should surely know this.

I would guess they have either fitted the wrong wiring kit, fitted a universal wiring kit (like a bypass relay) or they havent coded it to the vehicle correctly ?

Reactions: JOG
Thanks for the reply guys. Everything else works, indicators show on dash, failed bulbs shows etc. It also turns off rear sensors but still shows my rear camera.
Wiring kit number on my invoice is the correct one, I checked with another dealer.
Im sure that they have not coded it correctly but it’s hard to prove when they say otherwise.
They also said everything would work ok if the van has trailer prep from the factory, otherwise like mine it won’t ?

This doesn’t appear to be your problem, you paid for a service that is sub-standard. If they can’t fix it they should put your van back to the original condition and refund you.

There are kits available that give full factory functions for vehicles that don't have tow bar prep. (link above) It may be that VW don't offer such a kit, so a dealer won't install a third party part as they won't be able to warranty it.

If you have agreed to have full factory functions and the dealer couldn't provide that, they should have told you so. It sounds like they haven't fitted what you asked for, so in my opinion, they should be removing their wiring and refunding the money.

failed bulbs shows etc.
Your trailer has regular bulbs? Just asking because T6 trailer controller is a bit picky with "modern" LEDs in trailer - not sure if T6.1 does it better.

Also did you test without bulb warning on dash? To activate alarm minimum two separate bulb circuits are needed. Also alarm doesn't activate immediately after locking van - it takes a few minutes (less than 5 anyways). Again these are T6 experiences.

Dealer issue to fix! Most of them sub the work out....sounds like they need to change their subbie!

My trailer has standard bulbs and not led. Im 99% sure they actually got their senior tech to fit it and didn’t sub the work out.
What is really annoying and bugging me is that the Service manager agreed there was a problem and had the van back in etc. They then had it for 3 days to then tell me those functions could not work without it coming from the factory with a towbar or trailer prep?I was hoping to find someone who has had a similar install as mine to have some ammo to go back with.
I have spoken to two other dealers who were good enough to offer advice. Unfortunately their Techs had not done that install on a T6.1 but could confirm a T6 would have all functions working. They did find it hard to believe that it would be different on a 6.1.

Thanks for the reply guys. Everything else works, indicators show on dash, failed bulbs shows etc. It also turns off rear sensors but still shows my rear camera.
Wiring kit number on my invoice is the correct one, I checked with another dealer.
Im sure that they have not coded it correctly but it’s hard to prove when they say otherwise.
They also said everything would work ok if the van has trailer prep from the factory, otherwise like mine it won’t ?
Sorry mate but I think they are talking shite, I had to tell a vw tech how to program my bcm after they had my van in for key programing as he had no clue how to activate engine run signal for my split charge

Reactions: JOG
On the t6 can say for the 6.1 should have fuses in 3,4,5 which your does not but like I say I not got a t6.1 instal manual to check

Definitely sounds like it’s not been coded correctly to me. A vehicle specific towbar wiring kit will perform exactly to same as a factory fitted towbar, irrespective of whether you have towbar prep or not. On a T6 the trailer module (69) will need adding to the CAN gateway installed module list (this will already be done if you have trailer prep) also central electrics (19) and PDC (10) need coding so they know you have a towbar fitted. My guess is if your fog lights are not transferring to the trailer then central electrics haven’t been coded.

I agree - that the fog light didn’t transfer was a giveaway that the coding hasn’t been done correctly, if at all

Thanks for the info chaps, appreciate it.
Heres a bit of a curveball for you, do you think an adaptor would make any difference?
I had 13 pin electrics installed and currently run a trailer with 7 pin.
The dealer gave me a genuine adaptor to use and said everything will work fine with it, this was before I realised the alarm and fog issues?
I have not connected directly to 13 pin yet as I have nothing with 13 pin.

Back